Airline refuses to land with killer on board, worries about costs

Old June 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]

Default Airline refuses to land with killer on board, worries about costs

Without a doubt the medical research being done at Duke Hospital will
never outweigh the damage tobacco has done, but it's a step in the
right direction.

Of course Nifong was elected, but like some other people not by a
majority of us. The good news, as I've stated, is there has been a
correction. It's not the total answer and n3ever will be, but part of
it.

Even better is that now in this state, ad I hope elsewhere, it's
recognized that although the Duke players 'won' because their families
had the resources to defende them, others with less deserve the same
treatment. Part of the language heard in our courts is "to be
Nifonged" and juries are listening.

Any civil judgements leveled against him, by the way, will be his
problem. The protection and pockets of the taxpayers are protected
here because he did not act in good faith. He is VERY exposed.

On Jun 17, 11:54 am, "TMOliver" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Sometimes there is hope, however. Where we live, in Durham NC, the NC
bar association came down hard on Durham County DA Mike Nifong because
he ignored the presumption of innocence. His disbarment is the most
severe measure the association can take against him.

Mifong's problems are just starting. Now there is likely to be civil
and criminal charges brought against him.

My husband and I hope to soon to have the place where we live known
for its science and medicine, and not a rogue DA.

You do understand that Durham and Duke existed for decades only because of
profits from growing tobacco and selling cigarettes, a bit of an
equivocating issue in your moral stance.....

....and youall did elect the guy, so don't disclaim responsibility. The
lawsuits by the lacrosse players will be against the county, and you as
taxpayers will have to pay for the defense and any settlements. They may
sue the exDA personally, but his pockets are likely shallow, whereas the
County (if he was the County DA, as in most states) will be the deep pocket
defendant in civil actions.

The local paper hasn't mentioned that?

TMO

Old June 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
NotABushSupporter

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per TMOliver:

I'm of the opinion we ought to simply follow precedent and keep'em,
GITMO being a nice warm place even in the winter (although they don't get to
use the pretty beach and the golf course (which I have, having been there
long ago with the Navy).

Has anybody else heard Colin Powell's comments on that option?

They were something to the effect of "Close the place.... not
next week... not tomorrow.... but *this afternoon*."

Why do we care what CP says?
The last I heard, he had no control over this.
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
TMOliver

wrote ....

Any civil judgements leveled against him, by the way, will be his
problem. The protection and pockets of the taxpayers are protected
here because he did not act in good faith. He is VERY exposed.

While NCarolina law may differ from the codes in other states, generally
you'll find that governmental entities are responsible for the acts of
public officials, even acting in "bad faith", "gross negligence", or
criminally (since much precedent holds that to keep someone on the payroll
who acts in such a manner renders the governmental entity liable for having
done so. Before you make a claim as rash as you made in the paragraph
above, you'd better check with a lawyer.

The Duke defendants, along with suing Nifong for his actions, will sue the
county (if that's whose agent Nifong was) as having provided him with
official cover for his misdeeds.

You'd best hope that NCarolian has a low tort claims limit for local
governments....

TMO

Old June 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Nobody

TMOliver wrote:
That's not true unless the suspect is actually "admitted" to the country.
If refused entrance at the airport Immigration barrier, he may be sent back
without paperwork, never officially having been subject to the new country's
laws.

This assumes that the destination country has a reason to prevent this
suspect from entering their country. This assumes that the origin
country has time to go through diplomatic channels to provide sufficient
reason/evidence for the destination country to refuse entry to this
suspect and that the destination country has time to actually warn the
customs agents.
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
(PeteCresswell)

Per TMOliver:
I'm sure Colin Powell would be happy to endorse

Whether I agree with him or not on a given topic, I consider
Colin Powell to have vastly more knowledge, insight, and IQ
points that I'd ever dream of having.

Doesn't mean he's right on everything, but it does mean that
anything he has to say must be considered seriously.
--
PeteCresswell