How much time to allow for international arrival &transfer -EZE-SCL?

Old August 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default How much time to allow for international arrival &transfer -EZE-SCL?

If we arrive at Buenos Aires Int'l Airport (EZE) from Miami at 7 AM
and plan to go on to Santiago Chile, how much time should we allow for
baggage claim, customs, etc.? I'd like to book a 10:30 flight out of
EZE for SCL, or is that too close? (there's a 12:45 flight we could
take instead)
There are 2 different national airlines involved: first one is Am.
Air, 2nd one is LAN (Chile). Do we officially enter Argentina and go
through customs, or do we get held in a waiting room for the Chile
flight?

Carol

Old August 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
If we arrive at Buenos Aires Int'l Airport (EZE) from Miami at 7 AM
and plan to go on to Santiago Chile, how much time should we allow for
baggage claim, customs, etc.? I'd like to book a 10:30 flight out of
EZE for SCL, or is that too close? (there's a 12:45 flight we could
take instead)
There are 2 different national airlines involved: first one is Am.
Air, 2nd one is LAN (Chile). Do we officially enter Argentina and go
through customs, or do we get held in a waiting room for the Chile
flight?

Carol

It depends very much on whether you're buying two separate tickets or one
through ticket. If it's one through ticket then book the earlier flight.
If you're booking separate tickets that means two separate contracts. If
the delivering flight is late or the departing flight is rescheduled early
or you're delayed in the airport nobody will help you if you miss the onward
flight therefore the more time the less risk.

Old August 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Aug 8, 2:21 am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Graham,
I was thinking about that possibility. Our flight arriving in Buenos
Aires at 7 AM is American Airlines and is already booked, a frequent-
flier booking. So we can't put the SCL flight on that ticket. The
time of the next flight (to Santiago) is 12:45 PM, and I need to know
if the 5 hours and 45 minutes between flights is adequate to get us
through customs, baggage claim, and checking in at the LAN counter.
Yes, I realize we take the risk of missing the 2nd flight if the first
is extremely delayed, but I was hoping someone could tell me the usual
length of time of the customs-baggage claim-new check-in procedure,
because I have absolutely no idea!

Old August 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 8, 2:21 am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I've only been to Argentina once and that was in 2001. My travel agent was
a South American expert; that's all they do. They recommended that we
always spend a night in BA between flights. Now, that relates to domestic
services through Aeroparque (the dowmtown airport in BA). and was based on
timekeeping.

Many years ago I made a connection at O'Hare coming in on BA connecting to
UA on separate tickets. We made the connection but it made me realise that
separate ticketing has definite limitations. Since then I have always
allowed a minimum of 10 hours (and preferably a night) between separate
ticket connections. In the end it what it boils down to (for me) is "can I
afford to buy a new ticket (probably at full fare) should I miss my
connection?". If the answer is no, allow lots of time.

Old August 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Aug 8, 12:22 pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

Many years ago I made a connection at O'Hare coming in on BA connecting to
UA on separate tickets. We made the connection but it made me realise that
separate ticketing has definite limitations. Since then I have always
allowed a minimum of 10 hours (and preferably a night) between separate
ticket connections. In the end it what it boils down to (for me) is "can I
afford to buy a new ticket (probably at full fare) should I miss my
connection?". If the answer is no, allow lots of time.- Hide quoted text -

I concur. This year I was flying JFK-LHR-JFK and LHR-WAW-LHR on
separate tickets. I decided to spend an exta night in London. As it
happened, my flight from JFK to LHR was cancelled. I eventually got
rebooked on a later flight of the same airline (Delta), but it was
quite a fight. There was a high chance I would have to fly to London
the next day, in which case -- if I didn't stay overnight in London --
my ticket to WAW would be lost.

Flying on separate tickets: quite a risk in case of a serious delay,
particularly on thinly covered routes.

jrk

Old August 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
george

wrote:

[...]

And even more of a risk with a frequent flyer ticket, because if
anything happens, you with your $0 ticket, will be the last to be
accomodated. While flying on a frequent flyer ticket years ago with
BA and a snow storm in ORD, they said that the earliest I could get a
flight out was 5 days, and of course your ticket can't be transfered
to another airline. Luckily, I was able to make other arrangements at
my expense, but will never fly with a frequent flyer ticket again.

And if flying with two separate tickets, I will always allow at least
a day stopover to make connections on international flights, that is
if they are at least daily.

George

Old August 8th, 2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Okay, okay!!! I hear you all; stop nagging already. So I just
changed (for a small fee) our original BOS-EZE ticket to BOS-SCL. No
more anxieties about that international cross-continent different-
airline flight.
Thanks for all the good advice, fellow travelers!

Carol

Old August 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

Many years ago I made a connection at O'Hare coming in on BA connecting to
UA on separate tickets. We made the connection but it made me realise that
separate ticketing has definite limitations. Since then I have always
allowed a minimum of 10 hours (and preferably a night) between separate
ticket connections. In the end it what it boils down to (for me) is "can I
afford to buy a new ticket (probably at full fare) should I miss my
connection?". If the answer is no, allow lots of time.

And/or, will your insurance cover you?

I have travel insurance that covers me on separate tickets if the first
is late, but not if the first comes in on time and something else goes
wrong.

All depends on your tolerance for risk.

--
Americans couldn't be any more self-absorbed if they were made from equal
parts water and papertowel.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:

Since then I have always
allowed a minimum of 10 hours (and preferably a night) between separate
ticket connections. In the end it what it boils down to (for me) is "can I
afford to buy a new ticket (probably at full fare) should I miss my
connection?". If the answer is no, allow lots of time.

What makes you think that you'll have to buy a new ticket at full fare
if you miss your connection?

I've missed a number flights over the years when traveling on
separate tickets. In my experience, the airline will try to get
you as a standby on the next flight. It's really no different than
getting a flat tire on the way to the airport - in both cases, you
miss your flight, but (in my experience) if you explain the situation,
they'll try to find something for you. The only exceptions I've seen
are cheap-ass Euro-discounters like Ryanair and such. But on normal
airlines, it's not like your ticket goes *poof* if you miss your flight.