Bad weather for motorbike trip in India ?

Old September 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Bad weather for motorbike trip in India ?

Hi

Next friday i will arrive Mumbai, i want to travel on a motorbike for
about 1 month in southern india (karnataka, kerala, goa, tamil
nadu, ), i've heard that sept/oct it's a good time to travel by
motorbike but when i see weather forecast.... it looks like it rains
all the time... is it so bad as it seems ?? maybe traveling on
motorbike doesn't make sense in sept/oct in that part of india, maybe
it's better to go north?? Please advise.

Regards
Explorer12gs
Poland

Old September 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi

Next friday i will arrive Mumbai, i want to travel on a motorbike for
about 1 month in southern india (karnataka, kerala, goa, tamil
nadu, ), i've heard that sept/oct it's a good time to travel by
motorbike but when i see weather forecast.... it looks like it rains
all the time... is it so bad as it seems ?? maybe traveling on
motorbike doesn't make sense in sept/oct in that part of india, maybe
it's better to go north?? Please advise.

It's the monsoon until late October.

Travel on the roads in India is always dangerous.

After dark it's lethal.

Even the locals don't go motorcycling after dark in the monsoon outside the
big cities, and I mean serious 'lifestyle' bikers.

It's no better if you go north either.

If you have to go motorcycling then please wait until November.

I have to add that I live in India in the winter and I don't ever drive
there, I employ a professional driver. Driving in India is never a
relaxing experience.

Take especial care in Goa, it's the only place I've ever been where you
have to bribe the traffic cops to attend an accident, and bribe them again
to make them go away...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

"William Black" wrote in message

Take especial care in Goa, it's the only place I've ever been where you
have to bribe the traffic cops to attend an accident, and bribe them
again to make them go away...

That is funny, but just awful

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old September 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

Take especial care in Goa, it's the only place I've ever been where you
have to bribe the traffic cops to attend an accident, and bribe them
again to make them go away...

That is funny, but just awful

You need to get out of nice civilised westernised Bangalore more George.

The real India is in the villages, places where if your village votes for
the wrong party your washed out roads don't get repaired after the
monsoon...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 9th, 2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

You need to get out of nice civilised westernised Bangalore more George.

The real India is in the villages, places where if your village votes for
the wrong party your washed out roads don't get repaired after the
monsoon...

Singapore's PAP works on the same principle.

Anyway, you should see the road outside our building in allegedly
middle-class Richmond Town. Oh, and having found the only cheese store in
the city and paying Rs770 for two morsels, I'm yet to be convinced of the
Westernization of Bangalore. It's just a lot of those same villages clumped
together. "Cosmopolitan" here means, "I work with someone from Hyderabad."

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old September 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

You need to get out of nice civilised westernised Bangalore more George.

The real India is in the villages, places where if your village votes
for the wrong party your washed out roads don't get repaired after the
monsoon...

Singapore's PAP works on the same principle.

Anyway, you should see the road outside our building in allegedly
middle-class Richmond Town. Oh, and having found the only cheese store in
the city and paying Rs770 for two morsels, I'm yet to be convinced of the
Westernization of Bangalore. It's just a lot of those same villages
clumped together. "Cosmopolitan" here means, "I work with someone from
Hyderabad."

A cheese shop!

Bloody hellfire they are getting sophisticated there.

Or is it like cheese shop in the Monty Python sketch?

The last time I bought cheese in India there was a choice between
horrifyingly expensive Gouda, Kraft cheese slices and Dairylea.

My wife told me this was a very good range for India.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

Sorry about the two replies. I missed this bit...

"Cosmopolitan" here means, "I work with someone from Hyderabad."

Bombay's a bit different.

There 'cosmopolitan' means 'I work with an Indian who was born in another
country, but he still speaks really good Hindi'.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

"grusl" wrote in message

There 'cosmopolitan' means 'I work with an Indian who was born in another
country, but he still speaks really good Hindi'.

Hindi? What's that? We don't talk that round these parts - the local pubs
are full of Hindi-speaking IT exiles from the north who, of course, have to
order in English. Bombay and even Calcutta are far more "cosmopolitan" than
Bangalore, especially given that the city (and the state) is run by yokels,
though that's probably true for Maharashtra also.

Right, I' m off to the dreaded "villages" for a few days. My reward is Hong
Kong and Tokyo later this month.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old September 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

There 'cosmopolitan' means 'I work with an Indian who was born in another
country, but he still speaks really good Hindi'.

Hindi? What's that? We don't talk that round these parts - the local pubs
are full of Hindi-speaking IT exiles from the north who, of course, have
to order in English. Bombay and even Calcutta are far more "cosmopolitan"
than Bangalore, especially given that the city (and the state) is run by
yokels, though that's probably true for Maharashtra also.

The state may be run by yokels, but they're Congress yokels and so are at
least focused on something other than their own pockets some of the time.

Bombay, let's be brutal about it, is run by some hard arse from the IAS who
doesn't care who gets elected, he's got arguably the biggest city in the
world to run.

Same as the Bombay cops, they may bow down to Shiv Senna but they look to
'the Centre' for direction and leadership.

Right, I' m off to the dreaded "villages" for a few days. My reward is
Hong Kong and Tokyo later this month.

I like the Indian villages, as long as you get your insect repellent
discipline right it's fun.

--
William Black

Time for tea.