Best mode of transportation between Oxford <-> Bicester Village shopping outlet?

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:53 AM
RoyalJelly

Default Best mode of transportation between Oxford <-> Bicester Village shopping outlet?

Hi Folks,

My wife & I are going to be in the UK for our first time and we'd like
to do some serious shopping at the end of our trip (aside from all the
shopping we'll be doing in London). We'd like to be able to see
Oxford as well as visiting the Bicester Villlage shopping complex as a
day trip from London.

Can anyone recommend an easy/cheap way to travel from Oxford to
Bicester village, either by train or bus? If we do have to take a
taxi, any idea how long it would be or how much it might cost us? Are
there any organized bus tours that could take us there and back?

I was trying to look up the train schedule from Oxford to Bicester
North, but it kept saying that the trip was around 1 hr (via Banbury)
and they seem so close together on the map.

Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Keith Willshaw

http://www.bicester-village.co.uk/Bi...us/default.asp

I was trying to look up the train schedule from Oxford to Bicester
North, but it kept saying that the trip was around 1 hr (via Banbury)
and they seem so close together on the map.

The best way to Bicester Village is train from London Marylebone
to Bicester North and then a short shuttle ride to the mall.
Bicester and Oxford are indeed relatively close but you have
to remember that in SE England the rail systems is basically
a series of different spokes radiating from London.

Oxford is served from London Paddington Station while
Bicester is on the Chiltern Line from London Marylebone

If you want to go from Oxford to Bicester then
take the hourly express bus from Oxford railway
station, its about a 45 minute run but personally
I'd suggest you do these as separate trips.

http://www.scbeastmidstravel.co.uk/X5Timetable.html
http://www.stagecoach-oxford.co.uk/d...s/bic-025a.pdf

Keith

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:01 PM
tim

"RoyalJelly" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

My wife & I are going to be in the UK for our first time and we'd like
to do some serious shopping at the end of our trip (aside from all the
shopping we'll be doing in London). We'd like to be able to see
Oxford as well as visiting the Bicester Villlage shopping complex as a
day trip from London.

Aside:
My friend works for Chiltern railways.
He caught us out by asking where their largest out of London
traffic flow was to.

To Bicester, apparently train loads of Japanese (and other) tourists
head there each day to go shopping.

Amazing

tim

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM
dtren

RoyalJelly wrote in message . ..
Hi Folks,

My wife & I are going to be in the UK for our first time and we'd like
to do some serious shopping at the end of our trip (aside from all the
shopping we'll be doing in London). We'd like to be able to see
Oxford as well as visiting the Bicester Villlage shopping complex as a
day trip from London.

Can anyone recommend an easy/cheap way to travel from Oxford to
Bicester village, either by train or bus? If we do have to take a
taxi, any idea how long it would be or how much it might cost us? Are
there any organized bus tours that could take us there and back?

I was trying to look up the train schedule from Oxford to Bicester
North, but it kept saying that the trip was around 1 hr (via Banbury)
and they seem so close together on the map.

Thanks.

From Oxford, there is a direct train service to Bicester Town every
hour or so - not to Bicester North which as you have discovered is via
Banbury and takes an age. From memory, it takes around 20 minutes.

There's also numerous buses. From memory Bicester Village is just off
the road in from Oxford to the town, so bus may be more convenient.
It's quite a hike from either station.

From London to Oxford:

www.megabus.com is cheapest (from £1 each way) but requires advance
booking on line and is not overly frequent. From the Baker Street
area.

Oxford City Link and Oxford Tube are £11 for a 24 hour return - buy as
you board. Both run every 20 minutes or so from the Victoria area.

All take about 90 minutes

Train is £16.50 day return off-peak - just under the hour on a fast
train; every half hour