Virginia foliage ??

Old August 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Virginia foliage ??

For folks that live there ....
I drive from Maine to Florida each fall/winter via and have been leaving
"too early" to see the leaves change in Mid - Atlantic. It's a beautiful
drive normally, but I'd like to see autumn colors. I know "it depends" but
in your humble opinion, when should I plan on driving thru Virginia ( Rt 85
or Rt 95 usually) Early October ? Late October ? November ?

Old August 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

when should I plan on driving thru Virginia

Bobb, there are web sites that predict the optimum times for fall
foliage. A Google search for "Virginia Fall Foliage" should turn up
several.

Also, at the official Virginia tourism site they have a Fall Color
Hotline: 1-800-424-LOVE ("Love" because their slogan is "Virginia is
for lovers")

James
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"JamesStep" wrote in message
when should I plan on driving thru Virginia

Bobb, there are web sites that predict the optimum times for fall
foliage. A Google search for "Virginia Fall Foliage" should turn up
several.

Also, at the official Virginia tourism site they have a Fall Color
Hotline: 1-800-424-LOVE ("Love" because their slogan is "Virginia is
for lovers")

James

I DID that and - for others - this one is what I needed
http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fall/index.shtml
I can tweak it/ check it as time gets near, but now I know what to tell
folks when they ask " when are you gonna be here". I HAD planned on
mid-October, but looks like now early November.
Thanks

Old August 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

this one is what I needed http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fall/index.shtml...

Good. Hope you enjoy the fall foliage; I'm sure it'll be beautiful.
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Stanley Burrell Stanley Burrell is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Bobb -[_2_] View Post
For folks that live there ....
I drive from Maine to Florida each fall/winter via and have been leaving
"too early" to see the leaves change in Mid - Atlantic. It's a beautiful
drive normally, but I'd like to see autumn colors. I know "it depends" but
in your humble opinion, when should I plan on driving thru Virginia ( Rt 85
or Rt 95 usually) Early October ? Late October ? November ?
Virginia has so many things that you and your family can enjoy, from the beautiful mountains and sparkling rivers and lakes to white water rafting down the new river gorge as well as there numerous state parks. Most of the roads are gravel two lane roads so slowing down and enjoying the scenery is just automatic.
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Stanley Burrell" wrote in
message ...

--
Stanley Burrell

I do enjoy it and if money were no object would have a place there.
Whenever I drive through I always think:
" How can it still be so nice - right off this major highway ?"
In New England - even when you go to the mountains , unless
it's a state park, there's SOMETHING there to detract
from the scenery ( ski lifts, shopping etc) and my drive through Virginia
is always beautiful, undisturbed, natural scenery.

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:40:42 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

.... my drive through Virginia
is always beautiful, undisturbed, natural scenery.

Well, except for all the fast-food joints and truck stops.

I live in VA, and I can't recall the last time I saw "beautiful, undisturbed,
natural scenery." But it is much more likely along I-85 than I-95.

-- Larry
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:40:42 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

.... my drive through Virginia
is always beautiful, undisturbed, natural scenery.

Well, except for all the fast-food joints and truck stops.

I live in VA, and I can't recall the last time I saw "beautiful,
undisturbed,
natural scenery." But it is much more likely along I-85 than I-95.

-- Larry

Not 95 - I either take 64 ( trees) or 81 (farms)

Old September 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:14:52 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:40:42 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

.... my drive through Virginia
is always beautiful, undisturbed, natural scenery.

Well, except for all the fast-food joints and truck stops.

I live in VA, and I can't recall the last time I saw "beautiful,
undisturbed, natural scenery." But it is much more likely along I-85 than I-95.

Not 95 - I either take 64 ( trees) or 81 (farms)

Umm, your OP said: "when should I plan on driving thru Virginia ( Rt 85
or Rt 95 usually)"

-- Larry
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:14:52 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:40:42 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

.... my drive through Virginia
is always beautiful, undisturbed, natural scenery.

Well, except for all the fast-food joints and truck stops.

I live in VA, and I can't recall the last time I saw "beautiful,
undisturbed, natural scenery." But it is much more likely along I-85
than I-95.

Not 95 - I either take 64 ( trees) or 81 (farms)

Umm, your OP said: "when should I plan on driving thru Virginia ( Rt 85
or Rt 95 usually)"

-- Larry

Time out ! I DO take 95 thru Richmond , and while on 95 what I 've seen was
nice once below 'the city areas' . I'll note gps info this year ( ;-
I usually head to the islands of NC on the way down. SO am I mistaken ? the
ride between Richmond and say Rocky Mount isn't nice ? I remember thinking -
this part of VA is still unspoiled - unlike the ride from New England to
Richmond. On the way back ( from FLA usually) I take 75 / 77 to 81 then 95.
It's much longer but much nicer/scenic drive.

Another 4-6 weeks to go.