Oxford day trip

Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Vinay

Default Oxford day trip

Hi,

I will be spending about a week in London during 3rd week of March. I
would like to make a day trip to Oxford. My interests are in
architecture and visiting anything which is world famous (Christ
College is something I was planning to visit). Any insider tips on what
to do are welcome (how to reach Oxford from central London, what to
see, how to go about while in Oxford etc). I am light on budget so
cannot afford to take the guided tour from London(which costs about
50-60=A3).

Thanks in Advance
Vinay

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Charles Davis

As I was born and work here I would say Oxford is definately worth a visit !
There are good frequent coach services from London to Oxford.
see
http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/espress1.shtml
and
http://www.oxfordtube.com/

Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Thomas

I will be spending about a week in London during 3rd week of March. I
would like to make a day trip to Oxford. My interests are in
architecture and visiting anything which is world famous (Christ
College is something I was planning to visit). Any insider tips on what
to do are welcome (how to reach Oxford from central London, what to
see, how to go about while in Oxford etc). I am light on budget so
cannot afford to take the guided tour from London(which costs about
50-60£).

http://www.megabus.com will get you there for a pound each way if you book
about a week in advance.
The bus takes just under 2 hours.
The train will set you back 17 quid for a cheap day return and takes about
an hour.
Other options are the oxford tube and Oxford Express, both are about 12 quid
I think.
I would recommend the Pitt Rivers Museum (not sure of spelling).

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Mimi

"Vinay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I will be spending about a week in London during 3rd week of March. I
would like to make a day trip to Oxford. My interests are in
architecture and visiting anything which is world famous (Christ
College is something I was planning to visit). Any insider tips on what
to do are welcome (how to reach Oxford from central London, what to
see, how to go about while in Oxford etc). I am light on budget so
cannot afford to take the guided tour from London(which costs about
50-60£).

Well, you can take the train. It's only an hour or so. To save money, you
could look into buses: www.nationalexpress.com

The Oxford tourism association offers a walking tour, including a visit to a
college and the Bodleian Library. Some tours visit Christ Church College:
http://www.oxford.gov.uk/tourism/walking-tours.cfm.

I was blown away by the Ashmolean Museum and spent a long time there.

Marianne

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Graham Harrison

Check the opening times of the colleges. While you can look through the
front door of most at any time getting inside is another matter.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

The Oxford tourism association offers a walking tour, including
a visit to a college and the Bodleian Library.

There are also open-top bus tours that do the city. When I was last
in Oxford (several years ago) I was in the Bodleian transcribing an
18th century music manuscript when one of them went past.

Loudhailer through an open window: "WE ARE NOW PASSING THE BODLEIAN
LIBRARY - SCHOLARS FROM ALL ROUND THE WORLD COME TO USE IT".

It was *so* tempting to shout back something like "YES, I'VE JUST
FOUND A LAW THAT SAYS NOISY STREET CRIERS CAN BE PUT IN THE PILLORY".

Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Beach Comber

The train will set you back 17 quid for a cheap day return and takes
about
an hour.

If you choose to use the train, it leaves out of Paddington station NW
of downtown. Paddington sits on about four Tube lines so you should
have no trouble finding a way there from wherever you are in central
London. If you haven't planned ahead you can get a ticket at a fair
booth or automated machine in the station.

Enjoy your trip!

Beach Comber

Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:34 AM
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:26:46 -0000, "Thomas"
wrote:

[...]

You got it right!

http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/

To get to the Pitt Rivers Museum, you have to go through the Natural
History Museum

http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/

which in itself is amazing. In one display case is a reconstructed
dodo, from which Lewis Carrol is supposed to have got his inspiration
for Alice in Wonderland. Loads of dinosur skeletons as well The
building itself is incredible - graceful wrought iron supporting a
glass roof.

Once in Oxford, most of the sights are within easy walking distance of
one another. Whilst most colleges only allow visitors accompanied by
official guides, you can always gawp through the doorways to see the
quadrangles. The 17th (I think!) century Bodleian Library building
gives access to the Divinity School with its fan-vaulted roof - used
as a location for the Harry Potter films.

A good pub for lunch is the Turf Tavern, hidden down some alleyways by
the Bridge of Sighs, also close to the Boleian Library.

Just pick up a map from the Tourist Information Centre (near the bus
station) and wander,

Don't miss out Christ Church meadows - lovely views.

And if you can afford a day in Cambridge, do it - as others have said,
it's even more lovely than Oxford.