Her Majesty The Queen to Bid Farewell to QE2

Old April 15th, 2008, 03:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Her Majesty The Queen to Bid Farewell to QE2

I found out that the day Tom and myself will be in Southampton to board
the QM2, on June 2nd, is going to be a big day there. The QE2 will also
be there and the two ships will sail out together that evening. In
addition a third Queen will be there.

Cunard News

Her Majesty The Queen to Bid Farewell to QE2
*
VALENCIA, CA - April 9, 2008 - Cunard Line is honoured to announce that
Her Majesty The Queen will make a farewell visit to Queen Elizabeth 2
in Southampton on Monday June 2, 2008.

QE2, the most famous ship in the world, and for 35 years the flagship
of the Cunard fleet, was launched by Her Majesty at Clydebank on
September 20, 1967 * forty years ago last year.

Since then QE2 has travelled over 5.6 million nautical miles, more than
any ship ever; has carried over 2.5 million guests; has completed 25
World Cruises; and has crossed the Atlantic 802 times. She leaves
Cunardıs service in November 2008.

Her Majesty The Queen has visited QE2 twice since the launch * on May
1, 1969, immediately prior the Maiden Voyage, and on July 27, 1990 to
mark Cunard Lineıs 150th anniversary.

Details of the visit on June 2 will be announced shortly, but Cunardıs
President and Managing Director, Carol Marlow, comments:

³We are delighted and honoured that The Queen has chosen to visit QE2
to wish her farewell. Her Majesty has taken a close interest in the
ship over the last forty years, and I am certain this will be a
memorable occasion for all involved.²

--
Charles
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Should be an interesting day... hopefully the security around the Queen
won't make a total nightmare out of the area.

Are there multiple terminal buildings at Southampton, for both ships?

Anybody else want to join us?

--Tom

d...

Old April 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom and Charles, this does sound like it will be very interesting. I
hate to say, but I would be very surprised if embarkation isn't a zoo.

sue

Tom K wrote:
Should be an interesting day... hopefully the security around the Queen
won't make a total nightmare out of the area.

Are there multiple terminal buildings at Southampton, for both ships?

Anybody else want to join us?

--Tom

d...

Old April 15th, 2008, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , sue mullen
wrote:

Tom and Charles, this does sound like it will be very interesting. I
hate to say, but I would be very surprised if embarkation isn't a zoo.

The two ships won't be at the same terminal. So it may not be a zoo.

--
Charles
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Apr 14, 7:55 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
Should be an interesting day... hopefully the security around the Queen
won't make a total nightmare out of the area.

Are there multiple terminal buildings at Southampton, for both ships?

Anybody else want to join us?

--Tom

"Charles" wrote in message

d...

[...]

Steve & I will be boarding the QM2 - and disembarking the QE2.

Mark

Old April 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Mark (SF)" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
I found out that the day Tom and myself will be in Southampton to board
the QM2, on June 2nd, is going to be a big day there. The QE2 will also
be there and the two ships will sail out together that evening. In
addition a third Queen will be there.

Steve & I will be boarding the QM2 - and disembarking the QE2.

Mark

Excellent... if you're interested, we could arrange to meet somewhere on
board. Maybe like the Commodore Club.

There will be 5 of us, Charles, myself, my son Jonathan, my friend Bill from
work, and his son Michael.

--Tom

Old April 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
In article , sue mullen
wrote:

Tom and Charles, this does sound like it will be very interesting. I
hate to say, but I would be very surprised if embarkation isn't a zoo.

The two ships won't be at the same terminal. So it may not be a zoo.

You will have to let us know when you return.

sue
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Apr 15, 4:11 am, "Tom K" wrote:
"Mark (SF)" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
I found out that the day Tom and myself will be in Southampton to board
the QM2, on June 2nd, is going to be a big day there. The QE2 will also
be there and the two ships will sail out together that evening. In
addition a third Queen will be there.

Steve & I will be boarding the QM2 - and disembarking the QE2.
Mark

Excellent... if you're interested, we could arrange to meet somewhere on
board. Maybe like the Commodore Club.

There will be 5 of us, Charles, myself, my son Jonathan, my friend Bill from
work, and his son Michael.

--Tom

Commodore Club it is!

We'll email as we get closer.

Mark
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Apr 15, 8:34 am, Capt Mary Kidd wrote:
The message
from sue mullen contains these words:

Charles wrote:
In article , sue mullen
wrote:
Tom and Charles, this does sound like it will be very interesting. I
hate to say, but I would be very surprised if embarkation isn't a zoo.
The two ships won't be at the same terminal. So it may not be a zoo.

You will have to let us know when you return.

The two terminals to be used are not even in the same area of the docks,
You can just about see one ship from the other in the distance. Those
arriving on QE2 will no doubt be shoved off asap and those embarking may
be asked to stay away until later. Nothing at all will affect QM2's
passengers.

--
Pam

Thank you for your (as always) knowledgeable and on-target assessment!

Mark