Delta Beware of no refund no changes, no support!

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Delta Beware of no refund no changes, no support!

I purchased a ticket online with Delta.com for $600. After falling sick
to the flu, I tried to change my ticket. They stated this is a discount
ticket, and I cannot make changes, nor get a refund for my eticket. I"m
out $600 bucks. Never again fly Delta. What kind of customer service is
that? It says nothing in my receipt about not being able to cancel the
ticket.

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air

"Tim Weaver" wrote in message
ups.com...
I purchased a ticket online with Delta.com for $600. After falling sick
to the flu, I tried to change my ticket. They stated this is a discount
ticket, and I cannot make changes, nor get a refund for my eticket. I"m
out $600 bucks. Never again fly Delta. What kind of customer service is
that? It says nothing in my receipt about not being able to cancel the
ticket.

I don't think that you will ever find a deeply discounted ticket which will
allow changes or refunds. You are obviously a very infrequent traveller.

JohnT

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air

JohnT wrote:

I don't think that you will ever find a deeply discounted ticket which will
allow changes or refunds. You are obviously a very infrequent traveller.

JohnT

Not true. Most ticket changes (even the "non-refundable" tix) cost
either $50 or $100 fee, plus the change in airfare. I have had to
change tickets multiple times on various airlines and have always found
the above to be true. I recently got a full refund from Delta on a
"non-refundable" ticket. I book everything myself and buy the cheapest
fiars I can find.
-L.

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Tim Weaver wrote:
I purchased a ticket online with Delta.com for $600. After falling sick
to the flu, I tried to change my ticket. They stated this is a discount
ticket, and I cannot make changes, nor get a refund for my eticket. I"m
out $600 bucks. Never again fly Delta. What kind of customer service is
that? It says nothing in my receipt about not being able to cancel the
ticket.

How did you book your ticket? Call back and ask for the refund
department. You will get a different person. Explain the situation
and you will probably get your money back.

Delta recently told me I would have to take a credit for a cancelled
flight. I called back and got someone else who realized it was a
fully-refundable ticket, and so received a full refund. This is not
the first time this sort of thing has happened to me. Especially if
you are *really* nice about it, they will most likely accomodate you.
If they still refuse, ask if you can get a credit toward a future
flight. Standard practice is $100 fee plus the change in airfare
(which may be nothing). So in effect you would have a $500 credit to
use within a year, with Delta.

Good luck,
-L.

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air

I called several times, trying the "different rep, different policy"
method. They tracked every call, and had me in their database as having
called before, and having been told already "sorry, no dice." I was
transferred 3 times, and each time the rep became more agressive and
adament about not giving me a credit, change of itinerary, or any
semblance of customer service. They claimed that when I purchased,
there was a link to read the agreement, and that in that agreement it
stated "no refunds, no changes to itinerary." I asked them to show me
that on my receipt and they could not. They welcomed me to use their
website to submit a complaint, and we know how that goes...I asked them
why my ticket is different than a ticket which allows change and they
stated simply that mine was a specially discounted e-ticket. If anybody
wants to do this for me, I will gladly give send you a paypal payment
of $100. Send me details if you want it.

Old January 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"Tim Weaver" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

They cannot simply keep your money. If you missed your flight, cancelled or
whatever, you are entitled to the ticket value minus their penalty fee, for
a period of 12 months. If you call again, ask them to fax, mail or send a
url so that you can actually read the terms of that ticket.

For simple encouragement for next time..."caveat emptor" or "read the fine
print". You may avoid Delta next time, but that is no guarantee that it
won't happen with another carrier.

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air

"Larry" wrote in
om:

When and how did you pay for your ticket. If you paid by credit card,
have you contacted the credit card issuer to challenge/refute the
charges?

"Tim Weaver" wrote in message
ups.com...
I purchased a ticket online with Delta.com for $600. After falling
sick
to the flu, I tried to change my ticket. They stated this is a
discount ticket, and I cannot make changes, nor get a refund for my
eticket. I"m out $600 bucks. Never again fly Delta. What kind of
customer service is that? It says nothing in my receipt about not
being able to cancel the ticket.

This ticket smells like priceline, or hotwire cold one of these guys be
involved?? No changes is a trademark or the hotwire priceline deal.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In message "JohnT"
wrote:

I don't think that you will ever find a deeply discounted ticket which will
allow changes or refunds. You are obviously a very infrequent traveller.

*cough*Westjet*cough*

$30 fee, all flights changeable up to about 3 hours before the flight.
You pay the difference, plus $30, if applicable. Anything else left
goes as a voucher/credit (not a refund)

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air

consumer out $600 because of no refunds

The obvious solution instead of getting (apparently) legally shafted:

Book/fly on Air Tran or Southwest, and write-off our Atlanta area's
legacy carrier as so enscounced in the last century's
obligations/agreements that they can't now (even in bankruptcy)
adapt/compete with the vultures/competitors/discounters.

C'est la ****e, as Marx-Engels don't exactly write in DAS KAPITAL,
their ideological indictment of market capitalism.

When an airplane spokesperson or poster here tells ya to "read the fine
print," then ya implicitly know that sing-song crape about "thank you
for flying blah blah blah" is what it now has to be.

They're literally losing billions.

I'm not looking for a stupid flaming
argument w/ an anonymous fool, I'm merely posting for my reader as what
I take as the tragedy/absurdity of the ordinary; and if I had a good
solution, then I'd run for political office.

Needless to say, I am not employed in the airline industry, and I post
for myself and what I perceive as reality.