Outback Highway?

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Geodyne

Default Outback Highway?

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:58:05 -0500, "Tom Johnstone"
wrote:

We traveled that way in reverse way back in about 1980 (with my parents - I
was 13). There were some really interesting places around Mt Magnet and
Sandstone - old gold mining ruins and towns etc. I'm hopong to get back to
Oz for a big goldfields loop sometime in the next year or so, with my Dutch
wife. Drive northeast from Perth towards Mt Magnet, then loop down to
Kalgoorlie, head down to Esperance for a refreshing swim, then back to Perth
via the Stirling Ranges.

Sounds fabulous. Being forewarned means I can keep my eyes open for
just that sort of thing.

Kalgoorlie is the one stop that has suffered due to my change of
plans. But then, as an Earth Scientist, I've had more than enough
colleagues work there and describe it to me to have an idea of what
the place is like!

Geodyne (yes, the geo bit is in there for a reason)

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Geodyne

On 28 Jul 2004 11:42:08 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

Make that "some 131 km" (Leonora to Leinster) or is there now a
turnoff before (i.e. to the south of) Leinster? But what's 51-81 k's
amongst friends! :-)

Especially when one is planning a 12,000-odd km trip! I'll admit to
sloppiness. I glanced at the map out of the corner of my eye, my brain
said "not far" and I pulled a number out of the air. Apparently, "not
far" in my head is less than 3 hours' drive.

FWIW, we did the Alice Springs to Winton bit of this 'highway' and
loved it.

I'm really pleased to hear that. I spoke to my mother on the phone the
other night (her partner lived in Alice for several years and they've
recently been back to Alice. Her reaction was "I'm glad it's you and
not me!". She's only done the rough bit between Yulara and the
Peterman Ranges, which from what I hear is the roughest part of the
whole highway.

Geodyne

Old August 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Gerrit

Geodyne wrote in message . ..

Gerrit - in Europe today - Canada Thursday - back in Oz October

I think I want your life. :-) Where were you visiting in Europe, and
where are you planning to visit in Oz this time?

Geodyne

I live in Oz! Visited Europe for four months. Now in Canada for two
months. Then back home in Perth via Singapore.

And, yes its a great life.

Gerrit - now in Canada