Air NZ crew heads home alone after LA suicide

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
Malcolm Weir

Default Air NZ crew heads home alone after LA suicide

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:06:11 -0700, matt weber
wrote:

The decision was made to fly the Boeing 747-400 back to Auckland with
only the 13 crew and in-flight service director on board. An airline
spokesman said the cost of flying the aircraft home without passengers
would have been "up to $50,000".

Somebody's arithmetic is more than a bit suspect... Two ways of
looking at this, but for starters, it is a 6500 mile mission, so about
12 hours, and about 240,000 pouns of Jet A, or about 37,000 gallons,
at current rates that is about 33,000USD just for the fuel. That says
nothing about landing fees, maintenance, or anything else.

The other way is to look at NZ's ASM cost. It is about 11 US cents,
and that puts the price at about 280,000USD.

Either way, NO WAY IT CAN BE DONE FOR ONLY $50,000

Huh? The aircraft was going to fly the route anyway, so landing fees,
maintenance, etc. would have been paid anyway.

Operating empty of passengers (but not, I'd bet, cargo) means that it
would save some fuel, plus catering costs. But those costs would be
borne by the alternate flights (NZ1, QF26, etc.) so that's a wash.

The only additional costs that would be incurred would be the
compensation to the passengers and any incremental costs of having
other carriers like Qantas (or whoever) take their passengers.

I'm not seeing a problem with the $50K number...

Malc.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:48 PM
alfred

Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:

Does finding a horse's head in my bed count?

I don't think your employer needs to take responsibility for poor dating
choices.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
alfred

CollectorNZ wrote:

Recently (like 3 days ago) I had the occasion to hear Air NZ cancel a
flight from Wgnt due to crew illness and that was that, no other
explanations.

Slightly more informative than the normal "due to operational
requirements", anyway.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:55 AM
Terry Russell

"CollectorNZ" wrote in message
Just how many people jump of Motorway Bridges in LA

Try finding the figures

don't know, don't actually want to know

probably near
http://www.cdc.gov/
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/suifacts.htm
or local coroners reports

They do usually try not to hype it too much, media attention is like
an advertisement.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00031539.htm
It does have some fascination, evidence this thread.

People are not fundamentally logical and not machines
no matter how much we try to cast ouselves as such
or try to mould others to that imaginary ideal.
Yet, even machines break.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Tarla

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:05:29 GMT, AKM wrote:

mtravelkay wrote:

15 years ago, while on a temp assignment in LA while working at IBM in
Austin. during the development of AIX/PS2 at Locus Software in the
Herbel Life building, I was staying at the Marriott LAX. One night a
bunch of us were coming back from dinner. In front of the hotel was a
body draped in a sheet. Apparently, someone jumped from the 14th floor,
presumably because there was no 13th floor.

If you correct for the American way of counting floors, would it be only
the 12th?

No, the 13th. They run from 1-12, skip 13, and start again at 14.

Tarla
****
A word to the wise is infuriating.

--Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM
Tarla

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:40:40 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , AKM at
wrote on 3/2/04 3:05 PM:

mtravelkay wrote:

15 years ago, while on a temp assignment in LA while working at IBM in
Austin. during the development of AIX/PS2 at Locus Software in the
Herbel Life building, I was staying at the Marriott LAX. One night a
bunch of us were coming back from dinner. In front of the hotel was a
body draped in a sheet. Apparently, someone jumped from the 14th floor,
presumably because there was no 13th floor.

If you correct for the American way of counting floors, would it be only
the 12th?

Aaah, I get you now. Yes, the 12th in the civilized world.

You're both mistaken. Here in NZ it's called the ground floor. But in
the US, it's called the 1st floor. Floors are numbered. Even the
basements are numbered b1, b2, b3 etc. I always get confused here and
say "I'm going to the 2nd floor." when I mean the first floor off the
ground...since most I've met here call the first floor, the ground
floor.
Tarla
****

Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:08 AM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Tarla" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:05:29 GMT, AKM wrote:

If you correct for the American way of counting floors, would it be only
the 12th?

No, the 13th. They run from 1-12, skip 13, and start again at 14.

Tarla
****
A word to the wise is infuriating.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Easiest way to show it.
(16)
(15)
(14)
(12)
(11)
(10)
(9)
(8)
(7)
(6)
(5)
(4)
(3)
(2)
(Ground Floor or 1)

Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:12 AM
Nelly

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:52:26 +1300, Tarla
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:40:40 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
wrote:

in article , AKM at
wrote on 3/2/04 3:05 PM:

mtravelkay wrote:

[...]

I haven't been following this thread too well. I remember Canada being
pretty much the same as the US and IIRC the UK. Is the 13th left
everywhere in the US and is it because of superstition? Silly question
I know but need an answer. :-D

Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :-)