Lost luggage allowance

Old August 31st, 2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
elliot

Default Lost luggage allowance

Anyone aware of the amount the airline will pay for lost luggage?
I had heard $700 max allowed.

Old August 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

elliot wrote:
Anyone aware of the amount the airline will pay for lost luggage?
I had heard $700 max allowed.

For this, I will assume you meant for US domestic travel, since you are
probably in the US and travel mainly in the US

The answer is $2800 and found on the websites of many airlines, travel
agencies, and directly from the government.

In case webtv doesn't like the long url below, try
http://tinyurl.com/qtfra

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.1.31&idno=14
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
elliot

no Mr Travel, I travel usually out of the country and the airline is
Alitalia...

Old August 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

(elliot) wrote:

no Mr Travel, I travel usually out of the country and the airline is
Alitalia...

Alitalia, like most airlines, abides by the Montreal agreement. If you
don't declare a higher value, the limit of liability on baggage is about
1,500 Euros. It varies based on an exchange rate called "Special Drawing
Rights", which is a calculated international exchange rate maintained by
the International Monetary Fund.

You can always declare a higher value, and pay an insurance premium.
Note that they won't pay for things that are breakable, jewelry, stock
certificates, and other similar things. You can check their contract of
carriage for a more complete list.

From Alitalia's web site:

"17.4. In the carriage of both checked and unchecked baggage, the
liability of the Carrier in case of destruction, loss, or damage is
limited to 1,000 SDR (approx. € 1,500) per passenger. Notwithstanding the
above, the passenger has the right, when the checked baggage is handed
over to the Carrier, to make a special declaration of interest in
delivery at destination, paying a supplementary sum if so required. In
that case the Carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the
declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the
passenger's actual interest in delivery at destination.

17.5. Provisions regarding the limits of Carrier’s liability in case of
destruction, loss or damage of both checked and hand baggage will not
apply if it is proved that the damage resulted from an act or omission of
the Carrier, its employees or agents, done with intent to cause damage or
recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result; provided
that, in the case of such act or omission of an employee or agent, it is
also proved that such employee or agent was acting within the scope of
his/her employment."
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
sharkbait999

Any ideas of what extra insurance may cost per $1,000 worth of coverage for
photography equipment on a transatlantic or transpacific flight? I am sure
the gear I always carried onboard in a backpack will have to be checked. I
have about $15,000 worth of photo equipment I use during my travels.

rg

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. ..
(elliot) wrote:

no Mr Travel, I travel usually out of the country and the airline is
Alitalia...

Alitalia, like most airlines, abides by the Montreal agreement. If you
don't declare a higher value, the limit of liability on baggage is about
1,500 Euros. It varies based on an exchange rate called "Special Drawing
Rights", which is a calculated international exchange rate maintained by
the International Monetary Fund.

You can always declare a higher value, and pay an insurance premium.
Note that they won't pay for things that are breakable, jewelry, stock
certificates, and other similar things. You can check their contract of
carriage for a more complete list.

From Alitalia's web site:

Old August 31st, 2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
S Viemeister

sharkbait999 wrote:

Any ideas of what extra insurance may cost per $1,000 worth of coverage for
photography equipment on a transatlantic or transpacific flight? I am sure
the gear I always carried onboard in a backpack will have to be checked. I
have about $15,000 worth of photo equipment I use during my travels.

I'd be interested in this - it's been difficult finding a policy to
cover photo equipment carried in the hold.

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
sharkbait999

I have a separate binder on my equipment that is lost or stolen while under
my control, which costs me $50 a year. This would include equipment stored
in my home, my car, even in my hotel room - but not airline baggage. My
insurance company told me that the equipment is NOT covered when under the
control of the airlines. They are probably wise to the losses created by
the industry.

rg

Old August 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TOliver

"sharkbait999" wrote ....

I have a separate binder on my equipment that is lost or stolen while under
my control, which costs me $50 a year. This would include equipment stored
in my home, my car, even in my hotel room - but not airline baggage. My
insurance company told me that the equipment is NOT covered when under the
control of the airlines. They are probably wise to the losses created by
the industry.

"Statistically", airline losses are pretty minimal, given the number of pax
hauled and the value of the potential number/value of claims.

Were I you, I'd check with some other insurance carriers. There are a
number which write business insurance for equipment such as you describe,
and in case of claims, will have you subrogate your rights. If you're
carrying that much photo equipment, you should expect that coverage is going
to cost more than $50. a year, barely a rider on your homeowner's policy and
likely to come with small print clauses which leave you "Katrinad" as the
current expression goes.

TMO

Old August 31st, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

elliot wrote:

no Mr Travel, I travel usually out of the country and the airline is
Alitalia...

What does that airline's website say?
Did you even look?

Old August 31st, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
elliot

Default Lost & Receipts

Now I read they ask for the original receipt of purchase...I hardly ever
keep receipts unless its an item where warranty issues could
arise..surely not things like prescription glasses, pills, expensive
pills by the way, binoculars, shoes, razors, belts, shirts trousers,
etc...who keeps receipts for these items??