Planning a trip to Cambodia

Old October 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
elliot

Default Planning a trip to Cambodia

if anyone with knowledge or recent experience has any thoughts
suggestions advice that makes sense...please do tell.

personal experience is far better than information posted for the sake
of getting customers as often internet info is.

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Mister Max

(elliot) posted:

if anyone with knowledge or recent experience has any thoughts
suggestions advice that makes sense...please do tell.

personal experience is far better than information posted for the sake
of getting customers as often internet info is.

Agreed.
My experience isn't recent, but you're welcome to take advantage of it:
http://buten.net/max/angkor/index_angkor.html

--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Egypt, Jordan, Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Hudson
Valley, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Myanmar, Shanghai, Sicily, St
Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
elliot

Im also wondering if there are sections to be avoided in Pnom Penh...not
just at nght...

Old October 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Ray S

elliot wrote:
if anyone with knowledge or recent experience has any thoughts
suggestions advice that makes sense...please do tell.

personal experience is far better than information posted for the sake
of getting customers as often internet info is.

http://cat23.com/index.php?option=co...35&Itemi d=47

Friend of mine a few years ago.
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Rene R.F. Wildeman

It seems the overland crossing was quiet an experience in the past
according to different websites. However, we crossed the border in
February this year and did not see any touts, corrupted officials or
whatever. We took the bus from Bangkok to Aranyaphratet and arrived
there after a little more than 4 hours. From there a tuk-tuk to the
border. We had read the site mentioned in one of the other answers and
took the right exit queue . We cam to the visa office and did not pay
more than the indicated $ 20.-- . Everything went smooth and within a
short time we were standing at the roundabout at the other side of the
border. No touts , begars or other people approaching us.
Through Mom's guesthouse in Siem Reap we had arranged a 4 wheel drive
to pick us up and so we started the drive to Siem Reap which took us
another 4 hours with a stop for lunch in Sisophon. This road is hell
on earth. Red dust and big wholes so you are constantly shaken.
Siem Reap is a nice town and all the temples around (Angkor Wat etc)
more than worth the trip.
As mentioned we stayed at Mom's Guesthouse , not expensive, friendly,
clean and family owned. Very well located.
We certainly can recommend this trip

René R.F. Wildeman

Old October 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Traveller[_3_]

I spent about a month in Cambodia in 2002. I put up a travelogue with
some info at
www.gorillatales.com/KhmerTales

Paul

Old October 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb

"elliot" wrote in message
Im also wondering if there are sections to be avoided in Pnom Penh...not
just at nght...

There was nowhere I felt unsafe by day.

At night, the only place I felt really safe was within half a block of the
river.