Smoking on Cruises

Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

Default Smoking on Cruises

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

I don't think that when the cruise ships go no smoking that there won't
be an option to smoke outside.

Charles

You're saying "when" as if you know of something that we don't.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Boomer" wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

I don't think that when the cruise ships go no smoking that there won't
be an option to smoke outside.

Charles

You're saying "when" as if you know of something that we don't.

We got off the Adverture OTS on Sunday and IIRC, they said something
about all cabins were now non smoking cabins. I don't smoke so I did not
pay that much attention, so someone who knows might be able to set me
straight.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

"DBS" wrote in message
That's the worse!! We had a balcony on our last cruise and some cruiser
on the left side of us smoked the most disgusting smelling cigars and
cigarettes I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Needless to say, the cruise ships need to do something - put the smokers
in balconies on one side of the ship and non-smokers on the other.
Something, please!!!! But putting the puffers next to the non-puffers is
not an option in this day and age!!

The problem is only to get worse on balconies as the number of places where
smokers can go is diminished. I try & get a balcony in the forward part of
the ship to minimize the problem. I really don't think cigar smokers realize
how much the smoke bothers others around them.
My vote is for having the smokers in balconies on one side of the ship
toward the rear.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

"Boomer" wrote:

The problem is only to get worse on balconies as the number of places where
smokers can go is diminished. I try & get a balcony in the forward part of
the ship to minimize the problem. I really don't think cigar smokers realize
how much the smoke bothers others around them.

I think it's that they don't care. The fact that many people object
to being around cigar smoke is hardly a secret.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:44:03 -0800, Jack Hamilton wrote:
"Boomer" wrote:

The problem is only to get worse on balconies as the number of places where
smokers can go is diminished. I try & get a balcony in the forward part of
the ship to minimize the problem. I really don't think cigar smokers realize
how much the smoke bothers others around them.

I think it's that they don't care. The fact that many people object
to being around cigar smoke is hardly a secret.

They're addicts. Anybody who gets in the way of their addiction is
an asshole.
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

"Boomer" wrote:

The problem is only to get worse on balconies as the number of places
where
smokers can go is diminished. I try & get a balcony in the forward part
of
the ship to minimize the problem. I really don't think cigar smokers
realize
how much the smoke bothers others around them.

I think it's that they don't care. The fact that many people object
to being around cigar smoke is hardly a secret.

They're addicts. Anybody who gets in the way of their addiction is
an asshole.

My father smokes cigars. When it comes to non smoking signs, he pretends
not to see them. He once entered an exclusive country club with a lit cigar.
Staff asked him to put it out. His reply was "I'll just puff on it, I don't
inhale." That this wasn't the issue didn't seem to matter. Eventualy, much
to everyone in the family's embarrasment, he was ejected from the country
club. I will no longer ride with him. His car smells like a rolling ash
tray.

I think in some perverse way, he gets some kind of kick out of sending out
his clouds of cigar smell on people who don't like it. Imagine if you will,
W. C. Fields blowing cigar smoke in a cop's face while he tries to squirm
out of some infraction. That's my dad.

Brian K

Old February 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:20:53 -0500, Brian K wrote:

I think in some perverse way, he gets some kind of kick out of sending out
his clouds of cigar smell on people who don't like it.

Bet your ass it's a control thing, a "stay away from me" thing and/or a "I
can kick your butt" thing. All machismo like the actors who pose on Cigar
Aficianado all manly and awe-inspiring, aren't they?
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray

Well, considering that most responsible smokers would get a balcony cabin so
they could smoke in an area designated for smoking , you shouldn't be all
too suprised if a neighbor smokes. If the smoke bothers you so much , you
can always choose to not go out on the balcony if someone is smoking , or
just get a cabin without a balcony in the first place . I think that if you
choose to get a cabin thats in an area designated for smoking , than you
should be willing to put up with it .

"DBS" wrote in message
That's the worse!! We had a balcony on our last cruise and some cruiser
on the left side of us smoked the most disgusting smelling cigars and
cigarettes I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Needless to say, the cruise ships need to do something - put the smokers
in balconies on one side of the ship and non-smokers on the other.
Something, please!!!! But putting the puffers next to the non-puffers is
not an option in this day and age!!

wrote in message

Feb 20, 5:39 pm, Brian wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:24:52 -0500, "clint"
wrote:

I light up my stoggie, on deck and on the balcony, nobody seems yo
care)I'm
asenior)

How do you know nobody cares? Sometimes the stench can't be traced and
if you are smoking in an allowed area, what can people who object do?

Thank you! And they puff on it for friggin' 35 minutes. I've
changed locations more than one time due to obnoxious cigar smoke.
Exactly, if they're smoking where they are allowed to.....

Old February 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray

Maybe they DO care , and therefore only smoke in area's where smoking is
allowed , like on a balcony . If someone objects , they surely don't have to
put themselves among the smokers , as most of the cabins are in areas where
smoking is not allowed . You really don't even have to be on the same DECK
as a smoker if you don't want to .

Old February 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tobie Gerbrandt

Part of the problem is that you don't know before you go if the people ahead
of your balcony are avid smokers. You say "you don't even have to be on the
same DECK". Have you ever tried to change cabins once you are onboard, and,
even if you could, there would be no guarantee that the new location would
be any better.

One of the reasons we LOVE Oceania is that there is NO SMOKING allowed in
the cabins or on the balconies, and they DO enforce it!!!!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

t...