Los Angeles

Old January 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Los Angeles

I have recently listened quite a bit to the BBC News on BBC
America and it seems to me that many British newsreaders
pronounce the final vowel as a long e ("ee"), not unaccented as
in "the", which would be my preference. I wonder if British
English users have any opinions?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old January 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"James Silverton" wrote in message
I have recently listened quite a bit to the BBC News on BBC
America and it seems to me that many British newsreaders
pronounce the final vowel as a long e ("ee"), not unaccented as
in "the", which would be my preference. I wonder if British
English users have any opinions?

"eez" it is as far as this Brit is concerned. And no-one corrected me when I
was there.

Surreyman

Old January 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

I have recently listened quite a bit to the BBC News on BBC
America and it seems to me that many British newsreaders
pronounce the final vowel as a long e ("ee"), not unaccented as
in "the", which would be my preference. I wonder if British
English users have any opinions?

"eez" it is as far as this Brit is concerned. And no-one corrected me when I
was there.

Surreyman

Really? Probably because your average Angeleno couldn't
care less! We pronounce it "ess", the original Spanish uses
a long "a" sound (and pronounces the "g" as they do the
letters "j" and "x").
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

I have recently listened quite a bit to the BBC News on BBC
America and it seems to me that many British newsreaders
pronounce the final vowel as a long e ("ee"), not unaccented as
in "the", which would be my preference. I wonder if British
English users have any opinions?

"eez" it is as far as this Brit is concerned. And no-one corrected me when I
was there.

One song rhymed "Los Angeles" with "a couple of keys". But the
name is Spanish and in older days it was "ess" even if the "g"
was pronounced "j". Except as an affectation I've never heard it
as "eez". To me it's "ess" even after living in California for
sixteen years.

Old January 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Quartz City

On 2008-01-11 10:33:50 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:

Really? Probably because your average Angeleno couldn't care less! We
pronounce it "ess", the original Spanish uses a long "a" sound (and
pronounces the "g" as they do the letters "j" and "x").

And even then, the local pronunciation has changed over the years.
Quoting from a blog entry awhile back
athttp://www.quartzcity.net/2006/08/02/el-lay/

----QUOTE----
My rant about "Silver Lake" and a subsequent conversation with Nicholas
reminded me of some old struggles over how to pronounce "Los Angeles."
A series of fights that involved rival car dealers and a separate fight
between the Los Angeles Times and the east coast.

Back in the 1920s, the Los Angeles Times promoted the Spanish "Loce
Ahng-hail-ais" pronunciation, even printing the Spanish phonetic
pronounciation below the editorial page masthead. The popular
pronunciation was the anglicized "Loss An-je-les," and when the U.S.
Geographic Board officially recognized that pronunciation in 1934, the
Times was outraged, complaining that the pronunciation made the city
"sound like some brand of fruit preserve" and intimated that Easterners
were plotting to remove Spanish pronunciations all along the west coast
and that "Sandy Ego," "San Joce," and "San Jokkin" were next.

Meanwhile, the rivalry between Packard dealer and NBC broadcast station
magnet Earle Anthony and Cadillac dealer and CBS broadcast station
magnet Don Lee spilled over into pronunciation. The NBC stations (KFI
and KECA) used the common "Loss An-je-les" pronunciation, however Don
Lee insisted on a hard-G pronunciation for KHJ announcers: "Los
ANG-less." Lee died of a heart attack in the 1930s, but the hard-G
pronunciation continued to be used through the late 1940s.
----END QUOTE----

-c.

Old January 12th, 2008, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Hatunen wrote:

One song rhymed "Los Angeles" with "a couple of keys". But the
name is Spanish and in older days it was "ess" even if the "g"
was pronounced "j". Except as an affectation I've never heard it
as "eez". To me it's "ess" even after living in California for
sixteen years.

Actually, the "eez" pronunciation usually marks a Brit or
someone from the East Coast!

Old January 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

One song rhymed "Los Angeles" with "a couple of keys". But the
name is Spanish and in older days it was "ess" even if the "g"
was pronounced "j". Except as an affectation I've never heard it
as "eez". To me it's "ess" even after living in California for
sixteen years.

Actually, the "eez" pronunciation usually marks a Brit or
someone from the East Coast!

That makes sense- because not only did I use "eez" but I heard a lot of
Americans where I lived (Boston, Philly) saying the same.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 2008-01-12 14:10:37 -0800, (David Horne, _the_

Hatunen wrote:

One song rhymed "Los Angeles" with "a couple of keys". But the
name is Spanish and in older days it was "ess" even if the "g"
was pronounced "j". Except as an affectation I've never heard it
as "eez". To me it's "ess" even after living in California for
sixteen years.

Actually, the "eez" pronunciation usually marks a Brit or
someone from the East Coast!

That makes sense- because not only did I use "eez" but I heard a lot of
Americans where I lived (Boston, Philly) saying the same.

Lohs-ahn-hay-lays is what I heard educated Spaniards (UC Berkeley) say
in the 50s. Among Santa Feanos this was considered a bit twee. gb

That's how I say it in Spanish. Dave mentions "ess" but that doesn't
sound right to me. I checked with my Peruvian SO and he says it's
possible dialects differ, but he's not sure...

Old January 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pat[_8_]

My son went to college there and came back pronouncing it "Los An-ga-lees."