Royal Caribb or Princess

Old December 25th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Allen Lutz

Its not like that at all. Yhere was a wide spectrum of people represented.

Allen and Diana

GigiK wrote:
Celebrity would be too expensive (I just loved having a balcony on Sun
Princess) and I have a feeling that I would be uncomfortable, so I've never
looked into a Celebrity or HAL cruise. Maybe it's just their marketing that
makes me think that way, because I know that all the regular people like me
I saw on Princess weren't in the Princess brochures either. I'm just a
country gal (librarian) and Celebrity seems to me to be a little
pretentious. I don't know that I want to be "waited on" that much, but just
simply loved having everything done before it even crossed my mind. Please
correct me if either of my impressions are off the mark--high $$ and too
upscale to suit me. I have a horrifying vision of being trapped on a boat
with scads of skinny professional gals and matriarchal country clubbers
(they're the ones in the brochures!).

Gigi

wrote in message

Celebrity!

BILL

Old December 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

GigiK wrote:

Celebrity would be too expensive (I just loved having a balcony on Sun
Princess) and I have a feeling that I would be uncomfortable, so I've never
looked into a Celebrity or HAL cruise. Maybe it's just their marketing that
makes me think that way, because I know that all the regular people like me
I saw on Princess weren't in the Princess brochures either. I'm just a
country gal (librarian) and Celebrity seems to me to be a little
pretentious. I don't know that I want to be "waited on" that much, but just
simply loved having everything done before it even crossed my mind. Please
correct me if either of my impressions are off the mark--high $$ and too
upscale to suit me.

Take a look at a site like travelocity.com to compare pricing on
Celebrity vs. Princess. I think you will find the pricing to be about
the same on both lines. I also think that the passenger mix on
Celebrity is about the same as on Princess, as long as you are looking
at 7 day cruises.

sue

Old December 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Becca

There are a few things I like about Princess; fresh water swimming pools
and hot tubs, padded loungers, adults only swimming pools. Princess
also offers Personal Choice dining, so you can have dinner in the dining
room whenever you want to. You can sit at a table for two or you can sit
with friends. The buffet on Princess is open 24 hrs a day. I like the
movies on Princess, and their entertainment is good.

Becca

Old December 25th, 2004, 03:19 PM

We have cruised with RCCL four times and Princess three times. The
best RCCL cruise was our last one, which was on the Mariner. Our last
Princess cruise was in 2000 on the Grand P. Of the two, I think the
Grand P was better, with better all-around food and entertainment. I
was hugely disappointed with the Mariner buffet choices - at all meals.
They should be ashamed of the pizza and burgers they serve. Of
course, the burgers probably need to be mediocre to drive business up
to the Johnny Rockets on the next deck. Crowd control and flow is a
big problem in the Voyager-class Windjammers. It can be a very
frustrating experience. We gave up after day 3 and took all meals in
the dining room. Princess doesn't seem plagued with these type of
problems. Princess has great pizza and interesting dinner choices,
although the Personal Choice dining rooms can be rushed. However, I
think the RCCL crews are friendlier than Princess - especially the bar
staff on RCCL. Princess has a superior embark/debark
process....perhaps the best of any cruise line - at least at Port
Everglades. So of the two, I would personally go with Princess - which
I probably will next year sometime.

But for the buffet mavens, no one does it better than Carnival on their
newer ships. Breakfast is mundane, but consistent and good. They
really shine with the lunch choices and their 24-hour pizzerias. Great
made-to-order deli sandwiches too. Indeed, while the other mainstream
lines have all seen a decline in food quality, Carnival has improved
over the past few years. I used to tout Celebrity's food, but honestly
I think Carnival overall is on par with them now. Celebrity still has
an edge in the dining room dinners though.

I used to bash Carnival. Now I am a fan. We leave this coming
Wednesday for an 8-day on the Carnival Legend. I can't wait. I
already know what my first lunch will be - corned beef on rye, with
cole slaw.

Dave
www.sealetter.com

Old December 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Tom & Linda

I think your Celebrity perceptions are totally off the mark.

The Celebrity experience (to me) is virtually identical to Princess in terms
of activities, service, etc. The passenger profile I've seen on our
Celebrity sailings has been a touch younger than Princess, but very similar
in overall make up.

And Celebrity is generally priced about the same as Princess, Carnival, NCL
and Royal Caribbean (though Celebrity is typically priced lower than the
Royal Caribbean Voyager class ships) from the research I've done.

--Tom

"GigiK" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
Celebrity!

BILL

Old December 25th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On 25 Dec 2004 07:19:15 -0800, "
wrote:

Of
course, the burgers probably need to be mediocre to drive business up
to the Johnny Rockets on the next deck.

Hi Dave,

Royal Caribbean is not trying to drive business up at Johnny Rockets.
The complaints in the past was that there was too much business which
resulted in long lines. This is the stated reason RCI started
charging a nominal fee.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old December 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Bob G.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 03:58:02 -0500, "GigiK"
wrote:

[...]

At 38 and 42 you are nowhere close to OLD age... Hell both my wife and
I are 61 and you better now even try to call either of us old....lol

I like Celebrity...but I never ever ..not once...felt like I was
among ...well for lack of a better term...SNOBS...

Actually never got that feeling on any of my cruises...no matter what
Line I was on... I have sat at the dinner table with a few people
that were not my kind of people but what the hell... just order a
double scotch

Bob Griffiths

Old December 25th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Surfer E2468

Was on CELEBRITY,and they had a lot,and i mean a lot of stout people on
the ship,and it was a very nice cruise,not at all over bearing,and the
price is not that expensive,if you do not go for the top cabins,we were
very happy with our inside room,it was not any different than the
outside rooms,except you had a window,which we did not want.
surfer e2468