latin america by train

Old January 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM
anxo

Default latin america by train

Hi!

Does anybody have a link to train companies in Latin America in general
and Mexico in particular? I'm going to Mexico, and would love to go by
train...

Old January 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Richard Ferguson

anxo wrote:
Hi!

Does anybody have a link to train companies in Latin America in general
and Mexico in particular? I'm going to Mexico, and would love to go by
train...

There are very few passenger trains left in Mexico, just a few day trip
tourist trains. The most famous one is the Copper Canyon train from
Chihuahua to Los Mochis. They may still be running the Tequila Express
out of Guadalajara and the train from Merida to Izamal. I understand
that there is a passenger train that serves some local areas in
Chihuahua, but there won't be many tourists on it. If you research
hard, you will probably find a few other short train routes.

Mexico has an excellent first class bus system, which takes the place of
trains in terms of ground transportation of people. I like the bus
for shorter trips of 1 to 4 hours, but prefer to fly for longer trips.

Richard
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:46 AM
H Pine

"anxo" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
Hi!

Does anybody have a link to train companies in Latin America in general
and Mexico in particular? I'm going to Mexico, and would love to go by
train...

I sincerely doubt that you would LOVE to travel LatAm by train. Imagine
EVERY trip being interupted by a detailed freight train up ahead. Its hot,
and the delay lasts so long, they run out of ice, and cold drinks. When the
train gets started, it has gotten cold, and the door wont stay closed
against the cold air. It slams open and closed as the trains creeps along at
13 mph...... The bathroom was overfilled during the delay, and the crew
doesn't seem to do anything about the flow of stuff that oozes contiuosly
out of the Ban~o and along the floor of the car........All the while, a
young child leads his blind, guitar playing father from car to car, as the
blind musician plays guitar, and the child solicits
donations............Don't know if you'd love it, but it IS an
adventure.......Howard

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:55 PM
elliott_moore

You have specifically asked for LINKS to train info.

The single most complete and recent (12/14/2004) set of links is:
http://www.mexlist.com/pass.htm
which describes in some detail, with associated links,
the Copper Canyon trains (Chihuahua/Los Mochis),
the Tequila Express (Guadalajara/Tequila),
the Espresso Maya,
some chartered train trips (a few/year, many$)

Not included in their list, and possibly no longer
running, a

the last publicly government supported train, between
Oaxaca and Cuicatlan. In Spring of 2004 its schedule was:
depart Oaxaca 7:25 AM on Mon, Thu & Sat,
depart Cuicatlan 5:00 AM on Tues, Fri, Sun.
Never on Wed.
After some tracks were washed out, this train was
"temporarily suspended"; its present state is unknown.
A full description appears in the May 2004 OaxacaTimes.com
(if you have access to their archives) but photos for the
article are still available at:
http://www.geocities.com/jonclark500/ot.html

Another chartered tourist train is the Expresso de
la Independencia. They have offered a series of tours:
their 5 day tour by train, Mon-Fri, is Queretaro, San
Luis Potosi, Zacatecas, Guanajuato, SMA, Queretaro.
their 3 day train tour, weekends only, Queretaro,
Guanajuato, SMA, Queretaro. Their Web site is:
http://www.prodigyweb.net.mx/semesam...tm/entrada.htm
Present state of their tours is unknown.

Unlike other respondents on this thread, I truly regret
the passing of public transport by railroad in Mexico.
My wife and I arranged our marriage ceremony around the
charter of a Pullman (sleeping) car from Juarez to Zacatecas
to Mexico City (wedding) to VeraCruz (honeymoon) and back to
Juarez two weeks later, with nearly two dozen family and
guests aboard. A great time was had by all.

Elliott Moore

Old January 28th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Tiomatt

In fall of '97 I took a train from Guadalajara to Mexicali. It was the
worst transportation experience of my life. Took like 3 days to get there.
It was freezing cold at night, troops woke me up to poke at my bag, there
was no food or drink; the sights were not at all scenic, the bathroom was
horrible and without TP, the train moved as slow as hell... I've really got
nothing good to say about it. Maybe if I had been with someone or had
brought along a bunch of food and reading material it would have been more
tolerable. Also, make sure you pay "first class" (which was where I was),
because the "second class" car is packed full of dirty peasants (maybe some
animals) and it smells like urine. The car I was in was completely empty
except for a small family and the occasional train worker. I suggest the
bus, which is really nice down there.

MATT.

Old January 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
anxo

Thank you all for comments and advice about travelling by train in Mexico.
It's been a great help for me.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Russ

take the bus......

--
Russ

Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com

Old February 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
cas

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:12:46 -0500, anxo wrote:

Hi!

Does anybody have a link to train companies in Latin America in general
and Mexico in particular? I'm going to Mexico, and would love to go by
train...

Hi,

Maybe this link is what you're looking for......
http://www.ferrolatino.ch/FLBInfopersEng.htm

Cas
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM

"cas" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:12:46 -0500, anxo wrote:

Hi!

Does anybody have a link to train companies in Latin America in general
and Mexico in particular? I'm going to Mexico, and would love to go by
train...

Hi,

Maybe this link is what you're looking for......
http://www.ferrolatino.ch/FLBInfopersEng.htm

Cas

I just finished reading "The Old Patagonian Express by Train Through the
Americas" by Paul Theroux. Great read in spite of his putting down almost
every place he visits. Ironically, it made me want to duplicate the same
trip even more. Go figure...

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
nickeeeast

On 2005-02-28 07:41:01 -0700, cas said:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:12:46 -0500, anxo wrote:

Hi!

Does anybody have a link to train companies in Latin America in general
and Mexico in particular? I'm going to Mexico, and would love to go by
train...

Hi,

Maybe this link is what you're looking for......
http://www.ferrolatino.ch/FLBInfopersEng.htm

Cas

Latin America is easiest traveled by bus....I would not recomend trains
in any of the countries in central, or southern.....unless you're
looking for slow, uncomfortable travel. Yes...slow, and
uncomfortable...compared to the buses. Enjoy th etrip.