Spring visit Slovakia, Budapest, Prague

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Bob

Default Spring visit Slovakia, Budapest, Prague

During the first 2 weeks of May my wife and I, both in our late
fifties, visited Prague, Slovakia, and Budapest. In Bratislava,
Slovakia we stayed at Hotel Kyjev
(www.kyjev-hotel.sk/engsite/main.htm) (for the second time). I like
its central location and elaborate buffet breakfasts. Easy to reach
by bus and/or tram from airport or train station (2600SKK double).
We also stayed at the Grandhotel Praha in the Tatra mountains in town
of Tatranska Lomnica. Beautiful hotel with restaurant and included
breakfast. Off season 2600SKK. We were disappointed that the
funicular and lifts in the area were all closed for maintenance
(contrary to what another guidebook had said). When the weather
cooperated the mountains were beautiful. Electric trains allow easy
access to several nearby towns. One downside of hotel is it is about a
20 minute walk (for us) from train station uphill so we needed a taxi
to and from. Younger, one flight baggers could walk it.
In Budapest, we stayed at Ambra Club Hotel (www.hotelambra.hu).
About 2 blocks from Opera metro stop so it is in a great location. We
took the condo choice with living room and kitchen. We thought the
extra space worth the 10 Euro extra. Double 95 Euro, less 10% for
cash, breakfast included.
In Prague we had got a good deal through Priceline for the
Renaissance Prague Hotel. Excellent location less than a block from
Nam. Republiky metro stop. First night in Prague met Sarka Pelantova
(private guide recommended in Rick Steves' Eastern Europe book) for
dinner. Information about Sarka can be found at
www.prague-guide.info. A picture of Sarka and Rick Steves is at
www.geocities.com/b_hall29/ricksarka.htm. Her basic rate is 13 Euro
per hour. We had a pleasant dinner with her at a modestly priced
restaurant next to more expensive Golden Lion on Celetna street near
the Powder Tower area. She explained the different menu choices, esp.
the appetizers and wine choices. After a relaxing dinner and a chance
to ask a host of questions about tipping, getting the check, and life
in general, took a short walk around the area including some
"backdoor" sights such as the upside-down horse that I did not recall
reading about. Having a guide and spending part of time having dinner
with them may seem an odd use of the guide's time (and your money) but
we felt it was equally, if not more, informative, and certainly easier
on our feet.
The next day we utilized some of Sarka's suggestions and were on our
own. Our last day we met Sarka again for a day's touring. We were
amazed at the depth of her knowledge. Some of the highlights for us
were lunch at a modest restaurant in the Josefov area and an
introduction to honeycake, having her whisk up through the two
elevators at the astronomical clock tower to enjoy the views from the
top, visiting St Vitus Cathedral and nearby gardens, and finally a
trip to the supermarket part of Kotva (near Nam. Republiky) and having
her explain some of their many different offerings, ending up buying
stuff for a dinner back at our room. One interesting thing that Sarka
mentioned was that she was amazed to receive requests for her to sign
Rick Steves' book. Apparently autographing is not as big there as
here. Again, stopping for lunch and/or coffees/drinks during the tour
may seem a strange way to spend your guide's time, but except for the
most driven visitor, I think it proves to be both informative,
relaxing, and money well spent.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Alan Harrison

"st" wrote in message
On 23 May 2004 20:40:38 -0700, (Bob) wrote:

First night in Prague met Sarka Pelantova
(private guide recommended in Rick Steves' Eastern Europe book) for
dinner... Her basic rate is 13 Euro per hour.

So her basic trade is ripping off tourists, is it?

And do you work for less than 13 Euros an hour?

Alan Harrison