Hong Kong, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Old January 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Hong Kong, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Hi Alfred, Thanks for your reply. BTW I LOVE your pictures on your
website! Fantasic. So you like Bangkok? What in particular do you like
about the city? Where are some good places to eat there?

Old January 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
pied piper

Stop off in Bali or Lombok

ups.com...

Old January 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"PeterL" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

On Jan 24, 4:12 pm, wrote:
I'm travelling to Australia from Europe via Asia. This is my first time
travelling outside of Europe and just want to get people's opinion as
which of the above Asian cities should I visit on my 3-days stop over?
Thanks in advance!

Hong Kong and Singapore are quite westernized. HK has unique Chinese
characters in a western world. Singapore is very multi-cultural, but
is politically controlled and rather boring. Bangkok gets a lot of
tourists but retains a Thai culture. KL don't get as much tourists.

Singapore is not more boring than KL for instance.

Old January 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 2:19 am, wrote:
Hi Steve, Thanks for your input. Quick questions if you were to name 3
things I should visit in Hong Kong what would they be?

1. The Peak Tram
2. The Wong Tai Sin Temple
3. Shueng Wan's traditional craft shops

Also can you name me a couple of good places to eat there?

Red Pepper and Banana Leaf. For a good lunch option, there's a great
outdoor food court in Lan Kwai Fong.

Old January 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 2:23 am, wrote:
Hi Alfred, Thanks for your reply. BTW I LOVE your pictures on your
website! Fantasic. So you like Bangkok? What in particular do you like
about the city? Where are some good places to eat there?

Bangkok has a lot of interesting sights, and many of the main
attractions are in or near the Grand Palace and are easily walkable,
meaning that you can see a lot in a short visit. Do keep in mind that
it is very polluted, so if that would bother you, go elsewhere.

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Hi ! Thanks for your reply about Hong Kong and
Bangkok. So let me ask you, out of the 4 cites (HK, BKK, KL and SG),
which would you pick and why? Perhaps you can give your opinions of the
major pros and cons of each city. You mentioned about the pollution in
Bangkok, how bad is it compared to say Athens (I don't know if you've
been) ? And I liked Athens. It mean since I'm not going for a trip like
this again for a long time, I'm willing to endure some hardship if the
overall experience will be good and memorable.

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 10:11 am, wrote:
Hi ! Thanks for your reply about Hong Kong and
Bangkok. So let me ask you, out of the 4 cites (HK, BKK, KL and SG),
which would you pick and why?

Bangkok. See below:

Perhaps you can give your opinions of the major pros and cons of each city.

Bangkok
Pros: Lots of interesting sights, very inexpensive city, great food (if
you like very spicy food).
Cons: Very polluted, lots of tourists everywhere.

Hong Kong
Pros: Lots of interesting neighborhoods, Chinese markets, temples and
craft shops, great quality and variety of Chinese and other Asian food.
Cons: No real major "sights", high prices, polluted, many find the
locals unfriendly.

Singapore
Pros: Clean city, great food, zoo, botanic gardens, Little India is
interesting.
Cons: Other than those things, the rest of the city is sterile and
boring.

Kuala Lumpur
Pros: Less expensive than Hong Kong or Singapore, okay food, some
interesting neighborhoods.
Cons: Not much to see or do.

You mentioned about the pollution in Bangkok, how bad is it compared to say Athens (I don't know if you've been) ?

I have been to Athens, and the pollution in Bangkok is much worse. The
air in Bangkok has a sweet smell from all the leaded gasoline. In some
cities you notice the pollution in the first five minutes after you get
off the plane and then it's fine. In Bangkok, you will constantly
notice it.

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

Singapore
Pros: Clean city, great food, zoo, botanic gardens, Little India is
interesting.
Cons: Other than those things, the rest of the city is sterile and
boring.

Sterile and boring. I knew this, I knew this! Orchard Road and Takashimaya
department store in particular are also interesting. So is the neighbourhood
at the river estuary where the British quarters of administration mostly
resided. There is also a very nice and extensive park on shore from downtown
all the way to Changi. One might take a peek on the Keppel harbour which is
one of the largest of it's kind in the world. From there is a short hop to
Sentosa.

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Once again, , thank you so much for you reply.
Opinions from fellow travellers are more valuable to me than what any
guidebook can give.

So I researched as to what to do if I went to BKK:
Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Marble Temple, Jim Thompson, Klong
ride, Siam Square area, Chattuchak Market, Walk along Khao Sarn, Walk
Along Patong night market.

Anything else? Should I skip any of the above considering I have 3
days?

I was also considering at staying at the Reflections hotel. Have you
heard of it? And a guidebook really recommends eating at this food
court at this mall called MBK? Any comments on that or any other
specific places to eat? (Ilove all kinds of food). As what to do at
night...I'm not looking for anything seedy.... but I read about this
placed called the Bed and Supper Club and this placed called the
"Dome". Have you been? If so did you like it?