Sunday I reentered America at LAX and US Immigration "entry stamped" my US Passport.

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:12 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Sunday I reentered America at LAX and US Immigration "entry stamped" my US Passport.

"Simon Elliott" wrote in message
PTRAVEL writes
This patent should be easy to fight as being unoriginal and obvious.

I'd love to see that happen. The problem is, there's no way to fight the
patent until Microsoft either sues, or credibly threatens to sue, someone
using FAT for CF cards. I can't imagine that there are many CF card
manufacturers around with much of an appetite to take on Microsoft. In

the
past, I've defended clients who were sued by Microsoft. It was, ugly,

ugly,
ugly litigation, more like fighting a war with a small but very

well-armed
country, than defending a law suit.

Thanks for your comments. It's very interesting to get some information
on this from someone who has actually been involved in an action with
Microsoft.

In the past, Microsoft have published this along with the FAT16
specification:

"(a) Provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this
Agreement and subject to the limitations in Sections 1(c) - (f) below,
Microsoft grants to you the following non-exclusive,
worldwide, royalty-free, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable license
under any copyrights owned or licensable by Microsoft without payment
of consideration to unaffiliated third parties, to reproduce the
Specification solely for the purposes of creating portions of products
which comply with the Specification in unmodified form."

Are they allowed now to just change their minds on this?

Licenses are terminable, and the one you've quoted isn't perpetual. There
may be equitable defenses, such as estoppel, to an attempt to enforce the
patent, but I don't know enough about either the patent, the license
circumstances, or this particular aspect of patent law to provide anything
other than a shoot-from-the-hip opinion. That opinion is, as a matter of
law, they can probably do it. Whether it makes business sense is another
question altogether.

--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old December 5th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Doug Weller

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 04:47:53 +0100, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:39:02 -0800, "PTRAVEL" wrote:

Do you think I'm making this up?

I have no opinion on that. But you claim was that in "Europe" hotels recorded
your passport information and forwarded it to the police. If the police was
involved, the recording would happen _every_ time. We have seen in this thread
that it doesn't.

They certainly do not do it in the UK. They didn't do it in Barcelona, or
Paris recently when we were in those 2 cities.

Doug
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Sjoerd" wrote:

"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com schreef in bericht
the comment was aimed more at the fact the very few countries actually

check
on the way OUT except by air 9and even then I'm not sure that they are
checking for EXIT as opposed to ENTRANCE into the arrival country

Almost all countries check on exit. (no difference between air, sea or
land). Exceptions are UK, US, and Canada. And of course they don't check
within the Schengen zone.

Some of the countries where I was checked when leaving the country (so by
immigration officers of the country I was leaving) via land a Uruguay,
Argentina, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Germany,
Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau.

Even so, the degree of checking varies. The last time I (non-E.U.
national) entered and left France (April/May 2002) and Germany (May
2001) from/for the U.S. directly into and out of CDG & FRA respectively,
the immigration officers just had a cursory look at my passport - no
stamps in or out (France was sticky about this earlier). Leaving
Austria (VIE) just received a stamp. Hong Kong, Thailand and Argentina
do more much rigorous checks - they actualy look for your incoming stamp.

Brazil doesn't seem to bother if you come and go via land (at least at
Iguasu).
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:33 AM
DALing

Thailand wants to collect IF you are "overstaying" is why they check (money,
not altruism)

Old December 13th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Steve

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
In most of these countries, they do that to make sure that you will pay

your
bill. None of this information is forwarded to the Police Station, as you
falsely claim. (except in Italy)

I notice many hotels do things differently when it comes to billing in
Europe.

Here in the USA, it's standard to provide a credit card upon check-in and
the hotel will obtain an authorization for the estimated amount of the stay
(nightly rate + taxes + extra for phone, room service, etc). This way you
can things such as the express check-out and the hotel is guaranteed their
payment, more or less. If you want to check out in person, you can do that
and keep the bill on the same credit card used at check in, or use another
method of payment such as cash, traveler's cheque, or another credit
card/debit card.

In many places overseas (i.e. Europe), they will often just write down your
credit card #, make an imprint, or even make a swipe but not get any type of
authorization on the credit card. When you check-out, they'll just run the
credit card once as a "sale" for the entire amount and off you go. Other
than having a passport #, what is there to protect the hotel if someone
provides a "bad" credit card (i.e. closed account, over credit limit, etc)
at check-in and then skips out. Even with the passport #, what can the
hotel do to make good on the debt? I suspect problems don't happen often,
but I could see where someone might skip out -- or even someone (an
American) doing it accidently assuming the card was authorized at check-in
and the room more or less paid for.

I've had hotels in Europe do this (including big chain, 5 star hotels) in
many European countries from Spain to the UK.

Steve