9 Month Road Trip, but I need a car!!

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:46 PM
JamesStep

Default 9 Month Road Trip, but I need a car!!

As far as I can tell from the numerous posts I need
...a permanent address and the right drivers licence...

That may well be correct, but since a variety of different
opinions have been offered here, and since it's obviously
an important decision, it might be wise to get a definitive
answer before you make up your mind what to do. Talk to
your insurance agent there in the UK and see if he knows
or can find out. Also you could send email inquiries to the
appropriate official offices in the U.S. and see if you can
get a definitive answer.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Mark Brader

Robin Adams:
I've not given up hope, just being realistic. As far as I can tell
from the numerous posts I need 2 things (apart from the cash), a
permanent address and the right drivers licence. ...

Oh, there's more thing. California has stricter pollution regulations
than all the other states, making it inadvisable to buy a car in some
other state and sell it in California. Or so I hear. So if California
is where you were planning to finish the trip, consider rearranging
your route a bit.
--
Mark Brader "Well, I didn't completely test it, and
Toronto of course there was a power failure the

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
nobody

he could get a license in tennessee with no social security number and
no real address... the illegal alien mexicans do it legally all the time.

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"robindotadams" wrote in message
. com...

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and am in the process of pulling together a trip of a
lifetime starting in July this year. I'm planning to spend about 9
months travelling all over the states fulfilling a child hood dream.
I've got most of the things I need sorted (any tips as ever would be
cool), but the one loose end I have is actually getting around. I've
considered renting, but for the length of time, I'm angling towards
buying. Problem is I can't seem to get any sense on things stopping
me from buying, such as registration, insurance etc. Is there a good
no nonsense website which will tell me how to go about buying and
insuring a car when I have no fixed location? Can someone out there
provide me with some guidance? All help appreciated. If I go to a
car dealership with a big wodge of cash can I drive away?

See
http://info.insure.com/auto/foreignlicense.html

Bottom line is you need to register the vehicle and
to do that you need the following

Title to the vehicle,
a bill of sale, a valid driving license, proof of
insurance and adequate identification.

Be warned this last can be a killer. In NY State a foreign
passport with visa is NOT enough by itself,in practise
you need a green card as well.

In New Jersey a passport with valid visa is fine BUT
you need an ineligibility letter issued by the Social Security
Administration Office and the Social Security Exemption
Certificate Form (BA-4) available at any MVC Agency
and Regional Service Center Driver Conference Area

Most companies wont insure you unless you have a
US license and those that do will charge
higher premiums.

In short its bureaucratic hell it was bad enough when I
spent time in Ohio in the late 90's but since 9/11
its a nightmare

Keith

Old March 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Keith Willshaw

"nobody" wrote in message
he could get a license in tennessee with no social security number and
no real address... the illegal alien mexicans do it legally all the time.

He would however need an acceptable proof of residence, but
yes getting it in Tennessee is somewhat easier than some
other states.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/gentips.htm

Keith