Thailand: 750 baht / night?

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:41 AM
Chanchao

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:14:45 GMT, Sriram wrote some stuff
about " Thailand: 750 baht / night?", to which I would like to add the
following:

http://www.suk11.com/ a very, very nice place to stay in Bangkok very close
to the nana station.

Yes, I stayed there recently.. On another site I just wrote this about it:

I always thought it was priced a bit high, being a hostel/guesthouse, but
guess what: it's quite considerably above hostel/guesthouse level. Mostly when
you spend below 800 baht on a room in Bangkok you find yourself in a real
dive. Like worn down, and that damp grotty 'Thai-hotel-smell', and often with
somewhat of a sleazy element thrown in. That's completely absent at Suk11.
Rooms and bathrooms are VERY clean (as in, 'you can eat off the floor'-clean),
the bed is really very good, towels, soap (in plastic squeeze ketchup bottle.
:-), toilet paper and drinking water are provided and the airconditioner and
hot water electrical shower work great. So this really puts it on par with
'proper' hotels, which especially in that part of town, close to the Skytrain
and all, are considerably more expensive. There's basically 3 things NOT in
the rooms that remind you it's not a 800-1000 baht hotel which is the absence
of a phone, TV and fridge/minibar. To compensate there's a TV room and the
7-eleven is across the street. I thought the little jasmine-flower garland on
the chilled water bottle was a nice touch.

Another thing that surprised me was how big it is really.. There's a lot more
rooms than I thought. Basically the place is located in one of those typical
older concrete buildings that go on forever, but they've hidden this very,
very well with lots of wood, rocks and bamboo, the corridors and especially
the main area downstairs (where they serve a good basic breakfast, included in
the price) look rather stylish really, like an old wooden Thai style house. I
noticed that some rooms are a bit special, with balconies and there's
something of a little suspension bridge that connects to more rooms in an
adjacent building.

Final pleasant surprise was the very relaxed, friendly 'traveller atmosphere'
that I recall from backpacking around Thailand 10 years ago and staying in
out-of-the-way guesthouses. To find that back was great, and then right in the
middle of the Sukhumvit area as well! For me Sukhumvit says "tourists &
tourist bars, tuk tuk hustlers, crap souvenir stalls, big office buildings"
but it also happens to be where the BTS Skytrain goes, so being in that area
just makes a lot of sense. Getting in and out by taxi or Airport bus is very
convenient as well.

In all this I haven't even mentioned Anil yet and how helpful he is answering
questions and just being a certified nice guy.

So finally a belated thumbs up from me as well. The room I had was 500 baht
including breakfast, but check the website as there are other room types as
well.

Cheers,
Chanchao