Japan (Tokyo/Kyoto)

Old January 17th, 2005, 07:45 PM

"Shinjuku is defn the more "electronics" shopping area, I gather? I was
wondering, what are the dept. stores like in this area? I am wondering
if I can skip Shibuya and do Shinjuku instead... Tell me, how does
Ginza compare with Shinjuku?"

Shinjuku has some electronics and camera stores, but the main
electronics area is Akihabara, where store after store sells
electronics.

Ginza is the place for luxury shopping, but other than that there's no
reason to go there.

Shibuya has one ultra-luxury department store called Bunkamura, but the
rest of Shibuya is aimed at teenagers - record stores, Internet/manga
cafes, T-shirt stores...

Shinjuku has some huge department stores, which tend to be mid-range
rather than luxury.

" in Tokyo on W-Th-F... Friday night should be a good time to catch
Harajuku, right? Is Harajuku closer to Shibuya? The youth culture
sounds really fascinating too!"

Harajuku is pretty dead on friday night though...it's about a 20-minute
walk or 3-minute train ride from Shibuya. If you do want to try to see
the youth culture, the places to go are the 109 Building in Shibuya,
and the entrance to Yoyogi Park near Harajuku Station.

Old January 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Go Fig

In article . com,
koneko wrote:

wrote:
Can you still drop the tour? It's easy to get to and explore the
Asakusa Kannon Temple by yourself, and the market street leading up

it is very interesting - you might want more time in that area, which
also includes many traditional Japanese craft shops. The Imperial
Palace and most of the park surrounding it are closed to visitors
except for two days a year, and the closest you can get the rest of

the
time is a distant glimpse of the Palace from one corner of that park,
so I wouldn't really call it a must-see experience for someone on as
short a schedule as you are.

Thank you for the tip on the Imp. Pal. I found out the 2 days it is
open... 1/2

I've been and you can't get too close either... with the sea of people
all waving Japanese flags... quite a sight.

Non-the-less, on any day you can get that classic "double bridge" photo.

and 12/24, so this seems like I can skip out on it. I
might do Asakusa on my own as you suggested. =)

In the evening, definitely choose Shinjuku. It's the image of Japan
that most people have in mind - neon, crowds, noise, action, and it's
streets are full of revolving sushi restaurants, karaoke parlors, and
traditional Japanese bars.

Shinjuku is defn the more "electronics" shopping area, I gather? I was
wondering, what are the dept. stores like in this area? I am wondering
if I can skip Shibuya and do Shinjuku instead... Tell me, how does
Ginza compare with Shinjuku?

The Ginza has the institutional Dept stores, a huge history behind
them... some can be found in Shinjuku too. There are better
electronics areas in Tokyo, but you will see plenty in Shinjuku.

It is easy to take the JR between Shijuku and Shibuya, the main
crosswalk at Shibuya is quite impressive at night.

If any of your days in Tokyo happen to be weekends, Harajuku and
Shibuya have some very interesting people-watching opportunities -

they
are the center of Japan's youth subcultures. Harajuku also has a
beautiful Shinto Shrine. On a weekday or at night, they're much less
interesting.

I am in Tokyo on W-Th-F... Friday night should be a good time to catch
Harajuku, right? Is Harajuku closer to Shibuya? The youth culture
sounds really fascinating too!

Saturday and Sunday afternoon is when it is in full force... a nice
walk through the park... with some loud boom boxes.

jay
Mon Jan 17, 2005

Since you're interested in fashion, you might want to check out the
neighborhood Daikanyama, which has many independent designers.

Thank you for the tip on Daikanyama! Wonder where I can squeeze that
one in... =)

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
koneko

Bob Myers wrote:
Not at all! FRESH fish does not have that unpleasant "fishy" smell,
and you won't find it any fresher than here.

I will have to try to squeeze this one in! My mom loves markets, and I
bet she'll love this... I ought to put it in, with all the anime
shopping I am dragging her through!

Well, for one thing, the shrine itself is at the end of a fairly long

and
peaceful walk through a woods (you'll have a hard time believing
you're still in the middle of a big city!), and unlike the Palace you
actually get to go into the grounds and walk in and around the
temple buildings.

Meiji Shrine sounds really great... I wonder why it's not on the tour?
Sounds a lot more interesting than the Imp. Pal.!

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:23 PM
koneko

Go Fig wrote:

The Ginza has the institutional Dept stores, a huge history behind
them... some can be found in Shinjuku too. There are better
electronics areas in Tokyo, but you will see plenty in Shinjuku.

It is easy to take the JR between Shijuku and Shibuya, the main
crosswalk at Shibuya is quite impressive at night.

I forgot to ask... do I need to get a separate JR pass? Does the JR
pass cover the subways? Will I be able to get around Tokyo with just
the subways, or will I need to use the JR as well?

Old January 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Bob Myers

"koneko" wrote in message
oups.com...

I forgot to ask... do I need to get a separate JR pass? Does the JR
pass cover the subways? Will I be able to get around Tokyo with just
the subways, or will I need to use the JR as well?

The JR pass does NOT cover the subways, which are
a separate system operated by the Tokyo metropolitan
government. Getting around Tokyo will generally be
best done via a mix of the two, especially using the
Yamanote line (green cars, and this is a big loop that
encircles central Tokyo) and the Chuo line (oragne/yellow
cars, and the line itself cuts across the Yamanote loop from
Shinjuku on the west side to Tokyo station on the east. (This
line also extends past Shinjuku to the west, out to the suburbs,
but you are unlikely to be going out there.) You'll need the
subway, though, to reach such places as the Asakusa Kannon
temple, the Tsukiji fish market, Roppongi (and Tokyo
Tower) and the Ginza. On the other hand, Ueno, Shinjuku,
Tokyo station itself (the Imperial Palace area), Akihabara,
Shibuya, Ebisu, and Harajuku (the Meiji Shrine) are all
stops on the Yamanote line.

Of the two, I think most first-timers will find the JR lines
a bit easier to use, as there tend to be more signs in
English and the combination of loop-with-a-line-across
it is pretty easy to navigate, compared with the subway
system. However, don't let that stop you from using the
subways as well - most guide books will include a map
of the system (which actually CAN be deciphered by
ordinary mortals...:-)), or you can generally find one
included somewhere in any map of the city. Tokyo is
actually a fairly easy city to navigate on one's own, if
you're armed with maps of both the JR and subway lines
and don't get too worried about the whole thing. By the
way - be sure to get a "taxi card" before leaving the hotel
(a business-card sized thing with the hotel's name and
address on it in Japanese). That way, if you DO find
yourself unable to figure out the way back or you just
get tired and want to get back to the hotel ASAP, you can
just hail a cab, get in, and hand it to the driver - no
language problems at all!

Both the train and subway systems, by the way, work the
same way: you will find, near the entrance of the station,
a map of the lines served by that station with the fares from
there to each possible stop shown on the map or on a
nearby table. You buy a ticket for that amount from the machine,
put it into a gate machine at the entrance to the station
proper (i.e., access to the platforms), be SURE to pick up
the ticket on your way through, and then hold on to it - you
need to ticket to get OUT through a similar gate at your
destination. (Watch the people going in and out your first
time there - you'll easily see how it's done.) If you can't figure
out the fare to where you are going, just by a minimum-fare
ticket at your departure point (to get you into the system),
and then go to the "Fare Adjustment" window or machine
at your destination, where you will pay the difference.

Note that the stations themselves, at least the larger ones, are
interesting places in their own right, and will have a variety of
shops/stalls and restaurants inside. One Japanese tradition
for longer-distance train travel (as you will be doing on the
shinkansen) is the "ekiben" (a combination of the words for
"station" and "box lunch") which is just what you'd think - a
box lunch you buy at the station, to eat on the train. (The
shinkansen also has a car which sells similar items - no real
dining car, though - but you'll get a much better selection at
the stations themselves. Do NOT plan on getting off the train
halfway to your destination in order to pick something up,
though - in general, the train will not stop at any one station
long enough to make that feasible.) Oh, and one more word of
advice, if I may - on the trip down to Kyoto from Tokyo, IF
the weather is with you, a seat on the right-hand side at the
window will be preferred - you'll get a great view of Mt. Fuji
on the way. Of course, if you come back to Tokyo in the
daylight, you can also possibly get your Fuji picture then!

Bob M.

Old January 18th, 2005, 06:47 AM
koneko

Just a reminder - it would again help if you could tell us which
hotel you'll be staying at, so that it will be easier to plan with

your
"base of operations" in mind. Shinjuku Station is actually NOT
right on the subway system - it's easier to get to via the JR surface
lines. The nearest subway stops are a little ways west of the
station. Shinjuku Station itself is a must-see, especially around

the
morning and evening rush hours, as it is then one of the busiest
in the world (if not THE busiest).

I'm still waiting to hear back from the agent for the final say on the
hotel. It might be the Okura.

You'll also be able to get your anime fix in Kyoto - I just wish
I could remember the name of the store! It's in one of the major
downtown shopping arcades - anyone else know which one I'm
talking about?

A kind person on another site mentioned a place in Kyoto on Teramachi
Street, right off Shijo Dori? Could this be what you mean? I have
that on my list of things to look up too! =)

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Chris Kuan

"Bob Myers" wrote on Tue 18 Jan 2005
10:12:57a

Yamanote line (green cars, and this is a big loop that
encircles central Tokyo) and the Chuo line (oragne/yellow
cars, and the line itself cuts across the Yamanote loop from
Shinjuku on the west side to Tokyo station on the east. (This
line also extends past Shinjuku to the west, out to the suburbs,
but you are unlikely to be going out there.)

Actually, koneko intends at this stage to travel out to
Mitaka/Kichijoji/Nakano, which are all on the branch of the Chuo line West
of Shinjuku :-)

advice, if I may - on the trip down to Kyoto from Tokyo, IF
the weather is with you, a seat on the right-hand side at the
window will be preferred - you'll get a great view of Mt. Fuji
on the way. Of course, if you come back to Tokyo in the
daylight, you can also possibly get your Fuji picture then!

Also be warned that the amount of time that Fuji-san is actually in good
view is surprisingly small. My brother and I only managed about 5 photo
shots between the buildings before we were past!

--
Chris
Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com