Travel with Infant by plane (Cathay Pacific)

Old January 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
bar

Default Travel with Infant by plane (Cathay Pacific)

Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife and 20
months old son in March and I have few questions.
I have a reservation to fly on board Boeing 747-400, how look the place for
the mother witch child?
Is there a special place to lay down a child to sleep? I haven`t idea how I
put up12 hours flight witch my wriggle son, he can`t sit down for a second
;-)
Can I take on board collapsing stroller ?

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

regards,
bar

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Amoeba

http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/pr...,31994,00.html

As far as I know, there's a special row for passengers with babies. It's
near the door or in front of a "wall" (instead of other seats in front of
you) because they have extra space for passengers to put the baby
accessories, etc.

Better call Cathay for assistance before going on board.

"bar" ¦b¶l¥ó ¤¤
¼¶¼g...

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:15:22 +0100, the renowned "bar"
wrote:

Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife and 20
months old son in March and I have few questions.

I'd call a 20-month old kid a "toddler", not an infant.

I have a reservation to fly on board Boeing 747-400, how look the place for
the mother witch child?
Is there a special place to lay down a child to sleep? I haven`t idea how I
put up12 hours flight witch my wriggle son, he can`t sit down for a second
;-)

Yes, that could be a problem. The alternative is to buy a ticket for
the kid so he can be guaranteed a seat. However that will cost more
like 70%+ of adult fare rather than 10%. Usually stews are pretty good
about moving people around so if the flight isn't full you may get
three seats. The bulkhead seats might be better.

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

Some people get really grumpy about other people's kids on airplanes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Stephen

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

Some people get really grumpy about other people's kids on airplanes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

If the airline knows you are travelling with a kid they'll give you a
crib to hang on the bulkhead. I believe the price for this is a
fraction of an adult ticket.
If other people get 'grumpy' I suggest you tell them to get off.
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:51 AM
pied piper

"Stephen" wrote in message
news

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

Some people get really grumpy about other people's kids on airplanes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

If the airline knows you are travelling with a kid they'll give you a
crib to hang on the bulkhead. I believe the price for this is a
fraction of an adult ticket.
If other people get 'grumpy' I suggest you tell them to get off.

get to check in early plus call and book a sky cot or basonette ignore
grumpy old farts

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Viviane

Most airlines have special seats where you can have a bassinet. However
these aren't guaranteed. I learnt a trick that if the airline says it's
taken and someone is sitting there but doesn't have kids, ask if you can put
your child there and for them to let you know when he wakes up, unless they
wish to swap seats.

At 20 months your son may be too big for a bassinet - they have a weight
limit. I think it's 8kg on Qantas. If holding your child for such a long
flight is a problem (and at 20 months they are getting big and active)
another solution is to buy a seat for him. We did this when we flew from
Sydney to Bangkok. Although our daughter was 23 months when we flew and we
could have paid the 10% fare rather than 70%, we didn't want to take the
chance that the plane would be full (it was). We took our child's car seat
and put that on the plane seat, so she was in a familiar environment and
slept most of the way. We had to give Qantas lots of details about the seat
(make, size etc) to ensure it would fit.

Old January 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Tchiowa

Viviane wrote:
Most airlines have special seats where you can have a bassinet.

However
these aren't guaranteed. I learnt a trick that if the airline says

it's
taken and someone is sitting there but doesn't have kids, ask if you

can put
your child there and for them to let you know when he wakes up,

unless they
wish to swap seats.

Try that with me and you're going to get told "No!". In fact, I'd be
surprised if an airline would allow you to put the kid there when
you're not in that seat.

If you can't travel with an infant without causing problems for other
passengers, stay home.

Old January 18th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Tchiowa

bar wrote:
Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife

and 20
months old son in March and I have few questions.
I have a reservation to fly on board Boeing 747-400, how look the

place for
the mother witch child?

In coach the bulk head seats have a place to hand a bassinet to sleep
in. Notify the airline and request that seat.

Is there a special place to lay down a child to sleep? I haven`t idea

how I
put up12 hours flight witch my wriggle son, he can`t sit down for a

second
;-)

If the bulk head seat is not available, buy your child his own seat.

Can I take on board collapsing stroller ?

No.