Travel with Infant by plane (Cathay Pacific)

Old January 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Viviane

I'd forgotten about Benylin. Can't get it in Oz. I've never felt so good
with a cough - used to sleep about 14 hours a night! We have phenergan
here, which is an antihistamine and is used to prevent travel sickness - the
kids can't stay awake to vomit.

"Dee" wrote in message

"Viviane" wrote in message
u...
I thought sudafed was something to keep you awake. In Australia we have
problems with people buying lots of it to make amphetamines. Maybe
there's a different version in other countries.

We have a drowsy and a non-drowsy Sudafed here in the UK. I much prefer
Benylin though, knocks me out for hours. You can also buy Piriton syrup
over the counter (I gave it to my kids when they had chicken pox) which
can have a sedative effect and for some reason is usually sold in Boots (a
UK chemist chain) at airports....

Old January 20th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Dee

"Viviane" wrote in message
u...
I'd forgotten about Benylin. Can't get it in Oz. I've never felt so good
with a cough - used to sleep about 14 hours a night! We have phenergan
here, which is an antihistamine and is used to prevent travel sickness -
the kids can't stay awake to vomit.

Phenergan, that's the stuff I meant. I have a flight to San Francisco
coming up early March so will have to get some for the 2 smallest. Don't
want them to **** off any miserable, easily offended passengers on the
flight

Dee

Old January 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Viviane

Don't forget that phenergan can have the opposite effect and can make kids
quite hyper. It's one of those weird things. It happened to my niece.
Maybe a practice run on one of those lazy Sunday afternoons... Good luck.

"Dee" wrote in message
. ..

u...

Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:52 AM
koneko

I don't have children of my own, but I do have some advice for you
travel with children.

1) if this is your first flight with your son, please visit your
pediatrician prior to travel. if your child is prone to otitis media,
or congestion, your son might have some problems when the plane starts
to ascend/descend. Many young children often start to scream around
this time b/c the pain can be excrutiating, and since they cannot
verbalize the cause of their distress, they are often inconsolable.
There are various medications your pediatrician may prescribe to help
(decongestants) and even special ear plugs! (I use these, they do help
quite a bit, though the are a bit uncomfortable, they are worth it!).
The ear plugs are called "Ear Planes" and come in children sizes,
though I am not sure if they come in sizes that will be small enough
for your son... it's worth looking into! The
antihistamine-decongenstant combos are popular as the anithist. usually
have a sedating quality, however do keep in mind that some people have
the opposite effect.

2) defn. warn the airline ahead of time... they will do what they can,
for your sake, and for the comfort of the passengers around you, to
switch around the seats into an organization that be most comfortable.

3) layers/sensitivity: the temperature control/environment in the cabin
can be quite harsh on a young one's skin. Make sure baby wears
multiple comfortable layers that are thin and breathable. The air is
quite dry, with only about a 10% humidity. Be sure that you moisturize
baby's skin well before take-off, as the dry air can also make skin
itchy and rashy, esp. if baby is prone to rash/eczema.