17 mile drive by motorbike

Old July 7th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Greek Shipping Magnets

On 5 Jul 2005 15:54:09 -0700, "Rayvan"
wrote:

They even forbid a stock Gold Wing.

Is this a public road? I thought one of the AMA victories was that any
state receiving highway funds from the fed HAD to allow all street
legal vehicles upon it.
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Is this a public road?

No, it's a private road.

It's owned by Pebble Beach Resorts (www.pebblebeach.com), which owns a
huge amount of property in that area with golf courses and resorts. I
think Clint Eastwood, who lives in nearby Carmel, is part owner of the
company.

Jim

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Fletis Humplebacker

"Turby"
On 7 Jul 2005 08:38:14 -0700, "Rayvan"
wrote:
Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

I lived there in '81-'82 and only had a 2 wheeled beemer so if
it's off limits to bikes it's changed since then. I would guess it
has more to do with loud pipes than anything else

That's perfectly fine to have a loud pipes rule. I can understand that,
but what about the folks with stock bikes? GoldWings are perty dern
quiet. Why are they banned? Why can I take an open piped old hotrod on
17 mile drive? What's the real deal?

They're Republicans, what'd you expect? ;-)

People with money are Republicans? Do you ever watch
anything other than MTV?

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM

In article ,
Greek Shipping Magnets wrote:
Is this a public road?

No.
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Turby

wrote:
Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

I lived there in '81-'82 and only had a 2 wheeled beemer so if
it's off limits to bikes it's changed since then. I would guess it
has more to do with loud pipes than anything else

That's perfectly fine to have a loud pipes rule. I can understand that,
but what about the folks with stock bikes? GoldWings are perty dern
quiet. Why are they banned? Why can I take an open piped old hotrod on
17 mile drive? What's the real deal?

They're Republicans, what'd you expect? ;-)

People with money are Republicans?

You've just commited a Fallacy of Composition. The people who live on
the 17 Mile Drive are Republicans. With a smilie.

Do you ever watch
anything other than MTV?

What's MTV?

--
Turby the Turbosurfer
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Paladin wrote:

In '70 I was discharged from the USAF, Robins
AFB, Georgia, late afternoon. Took off in the car and did not stop
until I was over the state line into Alabama. Next day I crossed
Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and just into Texas. Next day I was
*STILL* in Texas. Last day I left Texas, crossed New Mexico,
Arizona, California (short way) to San Diego then north to Los
Angeles.

And to present the other half of the story, I was once visiting friends
back east and had breakfast in Massachusetts, lunch in Connecticut, and
dinner in New Jersey. (I didn't think to stop for a snack in New York to
complete my one-meal-in-each-state day. :-))

To someone accustomed to western U.S. distances, it was really bizarre!

Patty

Old July 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Turby

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:08:00 GMT, Bownse wrote:

It's interesting the number of Europeans that don't realize how big some
western US states really are. For that matter, some NE US'ers don't
grock how big the western US is.... In many cases a rider
could cross multiple counties (or eastern US states) in less time than
it takes to cross Tx (or CA the long way).

San Diego County in SoCal is bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island
combined and almost as big as Connecticut. And SD is not the biggest
county in California.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Patty Winter wrote:
And to present the other half of the story, I was once visiting friends
back east and had breakfast in Massachusetts, lunch in Connecticut, and
dinner in New Jersey. (I didn't think to stop for a snack in New York to
complete my one-meal-in-each-state day. :-))

To someone accustomed to western U.S. distances, it was really bizarre!

Yeah, my wife went to school in Wilmington and Newark, DE. She thought
it was sort of adding insult to injury that when she made a wrong turn,
she'd have to go by a sign that said, "Welcome to Pennsylvania" or
"Welcome to Maryland." ;-)

TK

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Fletis Humplebacker

wrote:
Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

I lived there in '81-'82 and only had a 2 wheeled beemer so if
it's off limits to bikes it's changed since then. I would guess it
has more to do with loud pipes than anything else

That's perfectly fine to have a loud pipes rule. I can understand that,
but what about the folks with stock bikes? GoldWings are perty dern
quiet. Why are they banned? Why can I take an open piped old hotrod on
17 mile drive? What's the real deal?

They're Republicans, what'd you expect? ;-)

People with money are Republicans?

You've just commited a Fallacy of Composition. The people who live on
the 17 Mile Drive are Republicans. With a smilie.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about.
Don't let me stop you.

Do you ever watch
anything other than MTV?

What's MTV?

Music TV. It's where the kids go to get their world view.

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM

It's interesting the number of Europeans that don't realize how big some
western US states really are. For that matter, some NE US'ers don't
grock how big the western US is.

Then, on the other side of the coin, when I was back East, we'd get
the occasional Texan who wanted to "see" New England in a day.

To paraphrase Steven Wright, "It's a small world. But I wouldn't
want to paint them in a day."