How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

Old August 28th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On 28 Aug 2005 07:36:17 -0700, the renowned "Iceman"
wrote:

Where did you price these flights? It should be much cheaper than
that. The airlines' own websites usually give very expensive prices,
and sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc. are also usually very
expensive for intercontinental flights. Your best option is to use a
company like airtreks.com or trailfinders.co.uk that specializes in
round-the-world airfares.

"PERU (Lima) - SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town)
(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~£2,800)"

Try Lima - Buenos Aires, and then Buenos Aires - Cape Town
separately.

"UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich)
BHX - MUC, Flight cost £400) "

Use Air Berlin or Ryanair or Easyjet to get from London to Munich
cheaply.

The flights from Delhi to Bangkok, Bangkok to Hong Kong, and Hong Kong
to Beijing will all be much cheaper if you buy them in the departure
city rather than in advance.

"SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town) - EGYPT (Cairo)
(Overland, estimate £400)"

Do you have any idea what is involved in going through Sudan, Ethiopia,
northern Kenya, and Mozambique overland?

Last time I looked, a link from the LP website gave online price
quotes for all kinds of bizarre itineraries. You might want to look
carefully at the routing, it can suggest more efficient routes to
you-- for example, if you're forced to backtrack or to go via Europe
you might want to incorporate that part of the world in your trip at
that juncture.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

[more wouldbe-pound characters without the required MIME headers]

See if this helps (in Outlook Express):

Tools - Options... - Send tab - News Sending Format - Plain Text
Settings. I *think* you have "Message format" set to "Uuencode". If
so, set it to "MIME", set "Encode text using:" to "None" and untic
(i.e. do *not* set) the "Allow 8-bit characters in headers" option.

If this works, then set your "Mail Sending Format" the same.

You're welcome! :-)

Just seen this ....so I'm testing

££££££££££££££

Did that work? :-)

Yes! Your headers now contain:

The relevant parts are 'charset="iso-8859-1"' and '8bit'. I.e. the
(Multi-purpose Internet Mail Extensions) and the "Content-..." headers
give the details.

So all is well now! Now that wasn't too hard, was it? :-)

BTW, I don't understand what kind of idiotic 'thing' would set OE
"Uuencode", because that's a thing of the (long gone) past. Do you have
any idea how it got set to that?
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...
"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:
[much deleted]
And naturally we are bound to ascii.

See my posting about Outlook Express, earlier today. Also your "From:"
line is not properly encoded (the 'o' with double-dot on top should be
encoded, but isn't).

All terminals interpret characters one way or another. "Properly" here is
something most subjective.

Old August 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
[much deleted]
Hi Frank I'm not technically minded. The Op post appeared on my
computer complete with "pound" signs.
Which is what I said in my reply where indeed ,it does read on my
computer as "pounds". However on your reply, my pound sign reads
as question marks.

As your postings also miss the proper encoding and MIME headers, you
may want to read the instructions I posted earlier today for
correcting this problem in Outlook Express.

What this below???

No, my other post, which you saw later and responded to. I have also
responded there. Just following up the other points here.

[deleted]

Which western countries computers don't understand GBP signs???

Well, *my* "Newsgroups:" header/list (also) says "rec.travel.asia"!
What about yours? :-) I.e. this is not the UK or Europe or "western
countries".

BTW I usually put GBP and not the pound sign,

Very wise, i.e. why make things difficult when there is a simple
solution? In the past I didn't use the Dutch guilder/florin symbol
either, and now don't use the Euro symbol, but just say "EUR" or "Euro".
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

[...]

I'm using a Gateway laptop, less than 2 months old. It was on its original
settings. The only change I'd made was to Download "QuoteFix".

Do I need to alter my mail settings too?

Jan

Old August 28th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:

[much deleted]

BTW, I don't understand what kind of idiotic 'thing' would set OE
"Uuencode", because that's a thing of the (long gone) past. Do you
have any idea how it got set to that?

I'm using a Gateway laptop, less than 2 months old. It was on its
original settings. The only change I'd made was to Download
"QuoteFix".

Thanks for the feedback. Strange that some company (i.e. either
Microsoft or Gateway) would set/default_to such a strange setting.

I wonder how it was for "Rubber Ducky"/David, i.e. who set it to
"Uuencode"?

Do I need to alter my mail settings too?

Yes, it's the same issue. If you correspond with someone who may not
have set his/her native character set to ISO 8859/1, your special (i.e.
non-ASCII) characters will come out wrong. Note that that has nothing to
do with were they *live*, but what their native setting is, i.e. for
example a Polish person in London.

For some idea what ISO 8859/X is all about, see for example
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html (That's not the best
reference, but just the one Google gave for an "I'm Feeling Lucky"
search on "ISO 8859".)
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Frank Slootweg

"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...
"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:
[much deleted]
And naturally we are bound to ascii.

See my posting about Outlook Express, earlier today. Also your "From:"
line is not properly encoded (the 'o' with double-dot on top should be
encoded, but isn't).

All terminals interpret characters one way or another. "Properly" here is
something most subjective.

No, it isn't. That is why MIME, ISO 8859/X, etc. were invented. If you
properly encode, then anyone with a MIME compliant newsreader can
properly display the 'o' with double-dot on top, provided of course that
the display device can respresent that symbol.

So why don't you just change the setting? Do you *want* to make it
difficult/impossible for people to see the proper spelling of your
name?

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Rubber Ducky

Do you have any idea what is involved in going through Sudan, Ethiopia,
northern Kenya, and Mozambique overland?

No idea. Could you point me to some useful information?
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...
"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...

so, it goes as I say above. I don't give a **** about this protocol.

properly display the 'o' with double-dot on top, provided of course that
the display device can respresent that symbol.

So why don't you just change the setting? Do you *want* to make it
difficult/impossible for people to see the proper spelling of your
name?

No I don't.