Bilingual in Europe versus USA

Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default Bilingual in Europe versus USA

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:30:54 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:51:20 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:18:34 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 11:21:15 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

On 31 Aug 2006 22:31:23 -0700, wrote:

Jim Ley wrote:

So you believe africans are stupid, in some way less able than people
from other countries?

Mixi responded:

As a group, yes. The Chinese were building rockets centuries ago;
they obviously were not and are not stupid. Africans, in contrast, are
still living in dung-covered huts after 10,000 years. This does not
speak highly of their cognitive capacity.

That question has been addresed in the book "Guns, Germs and
Steel" by Jared Diamond, and quite definitively, too. It has
nothing to do with ability or brains. I doubt if Mixi would want
to read it; it might educate him.

I thought Africa was regarded as the "cradle" of the human
race! (In that the earliest identifiably human remains were
found there.) Is that no longer true?

Civilisation and human remains are not one and the same! It's about
complex societal structures that were formed, and the infrastructure
to support them.

Mostly due to the rise of agriculture.

Actually the Egyptians were good at that, weren't they?

Yes they were. But Egypt wasn't the "cradle of the human race"
and for the most part don't live in "dung covered huts", if
that's what you're meaning to imply.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:51:20 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Mostly due to the rise of agriculture.

Actually the Egyptians were good at that, weren't they?

Yes they were. But Egypt wasn't the "cradle of the human race"
and for the most part don't live in "dung covered huts", if
that's what you're meaning to imply.

I have not idea where that comment came from. Have you done too much
flaming today?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:51:20 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Mostly due to the rise of agriculture.

Actually the Egyptians were good at that, weren't they?

Yes they were. But Egypt wasn't the "cradle of the human race"
and for the most part don't live in "dung covered huts", if
that's what you're meaning to imply.

I have not idea where that comment came from. Have you done too much
flaming today?

No. but it wasn't clear if you were trying to lump the Egyptians
in with "Africans, in contrast, are still living in dung-covered
huts after 10,000 years. This does not speak highly of their
cognitive capacity."

Jared Diamon shows how and why the sub-Saharan Africans did not
develop the sort of civilizations that China, India, Mesopotamia,
et al, did.

Old September 4th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
erilar

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I thought Africa was regarded as the "cradle" of the human
race! (In that the earliest identifiably human remains were
found there.) Is that no longer true?

Still true.

"Civilizations" rise and fall due to many factors, so when
considering all of human history, present-day "dung-covered
huts" need not contradict a proud civilization a few
thousand years ago.

It wasn't that long ago. And also, of course, someone seems to be
forgetting that Africa includes Egypt, as well as more "modern" examples
such as Carthage . . .

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

Old September 4th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
erilar

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Civilisation and human remains are not one and the same! It's about
complex societal structures that were formed, and the infrastructure
to support them.
--

Ancient Egypt was simple??

Old September 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:39:54 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Civilisation and human remains are not one and the same! It's about
complex societal structures that were formed, and the infrastructure
to support them.
--

Ancient Egypt was simple??

No, they were quite advanced from what I understand.

I don't get it. Did I say something somewhere that denigrated the
ancient Egyptians?
--
---
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:39:54 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Civilisation and human remains are not one and the same! It's about
complex societal structures that were formed, and the infrastructure
to support them.
--

Ancient Egypt was simple??

No, they were quite advanced from what I understand.

I don't get it. Did I say something somewhere that denigrated the
ancient Egyptians?

Actually, it was Mixi with another of his ill-considered
pronouncements (claiming that all native African culture
consists of people who live in "dung-covered huts")!

Old September 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 09:58:38 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:39:54 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Civilisation and human remains are not one and the same! It's about
complex societal structures that were formed, and the infrastructure
to support them.
--

Ancient Egypt was simple??

No, they were quite advanced from what I understand.

I don't get it. Did I say something somewhere that denigrated the
ancient Egyptians?

Since Egyptians are Africans, there was an ambiguity involving
those other primtive, lazy, stupid Africans Mixi, or someone,
brought up. After I mentioned agriculture as the impetus to
civilization, your mention of the Egyptians was a good way show
Mixi that he is overgeneralizing.

Old September 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

Actually, it was Mixi with another of his ill-considered
pronouncements (claiming that all native African culture
consists of people who live in "dung-covered huts")!

Where did I say "all"?

Old September 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
erilar

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:39:54 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Civilisation and human remains are not one and the same! It's about
complex societal structures that were formed, and the infrastructure
to support them.
--

Ancient Egypt was simple??

No, they were quite advanced from what I understand.

I don't get it. Did I say something somewhere that denigrated the
ancient Egyptians?

Egypt is in Africa. Someone claimed there's never been an advanced
civilization in Africa.