European river cruise lines?

Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
tom

Default European river cruise lines?

About three months ago, there was a thread in this newsgroup regarding this
subject. Three lines were mentioned: Viking, Uniworld, and Deilmann.
IIRC the poster liked Viking best, but also liked the other two.

A relative of my wife's recommended Vantage, although she had not
personally cruised on it. Does anybody here have experience with Vantage?

Thanks,

Tom
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joe Pessarra

"tom" wrote in message
. ..
About three months ago, there was a thread in this newsgroup regarding

this
subject. Three lines were mentioned: Viking, Uniworld, and Deilmann.
IIRC the poster liked Viking best, but also liked the other two.

A relative of my wife's recommended Vantage, although she had not
personally cruised on it. Does anybody here have experience with Vantage?

Thanks,

Tom

We have only cruised on Vantage one time, just this past May. We took a
cruise from Vienna to the Black Sea and Bucharest. It was 17 days, and we
thought it was one of our best cruises. Excellent tours off ship, and
excellent entertainment and meals on the ship.

We had compared the same trip with Viking and Uniworld, and thought we would
like the overall stops the best with Vantage.

Will be happy to send you directly our recap of the trip if you reply to me
directly.

Joe in Texas

Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:28:41 GMT, tom wrote:

About three months ago, there was a thread in this newsgroup regarding this
subject. Three lines were mentioned: Viking, Uniworld, and Deilmann.
IIRC the poster liked Viking best, but also liked the other two.

A relative of my wife's recommended Vantage, although she had not
personally cruised on it. Does anybody here have experience with Vantage?

Thanks,

Tom

MSNBC had an article about this topic a few days ago. It seemed like
all the rooms on all the lines I checked were very small.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
tom

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in
:

"tom" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks to you, Joe, and to Brian for responding. Your responses were
quite helpful. I have one further question if anybody can help. At
least a couple of the websites hinted at, but did not directly say, that
they were looking for very old passengers. I don't think that my wife
and I would feel comfortable on a ship where almost everybody is very
old. Can anybody give me a general idea of the age ranges on the
various cruise lines mentioned?

Thanks,

Tom
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joe Pessarra

"tom" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe Pessarra" wrote in
:

"tom" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I would imagine you would find all ages, but those on our Vantage Danube
cruise were probably 90% retired individuals, amongst a total of 161
passengers. Just a guess, but the average age might have been around 65.
The seating for meals was open, and we found everyone quite friendly and
good trip companions.

Joe

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
tom

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in news:rcBJi.109101
:

"tom" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe Pessarra" wrote in
:

"tom" wrote in message
. ..

.... snip ...

Tom

I would imagine you would find all ages, but those on our Vantage Danube
cruise were probably 90% retired individuals, amongst a total of 161
passengers. Just a guess, but the average age might have been around 65.
The seating for meals was open, and we found everyone quite friendly and
good trip companions.

Joe

Thanks.

--Tom