Help with Hotel and Travel Arrangements for Venice, Italy

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Allan[_2_]

Default Help with Hotel and Travel Arrangements for Venice, Italy

We are 2 senior couples who are ending a cruise in Venice, Italy. We
would like a reasonably priced hotel that is close to local
transportation, water taxis. vaporettes, etc. We also have to get to
Milan airport for our return flights. TIA

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"Allan" wrote in message

We are 2 senior couples who are ending a cruise in Venice, Italy. We would
like a reasonably priced hotel that is close to local transportation,
water taxis. vaporettes, etc. We also have to get to Milan airport for our
return flights. TIA

I can higly recommend La Calcina.
http://www.lacalcina.com/HTML/en/calcina_menu_en.html
--
JohnT

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:45:21 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

"Allan" wrote in message

We are 2 senior couples who are ending a cruise in Venice, Italy. We would
like a reasonably priced hotel that is close to local transportation,
water taxis. vaporettes, etc. We also have to get to Milan airport for our
return flights. TIA

I can higly recommend La Calcina.
http://www.lacalcina.com/HTML/en/calcina_menu_en.html

I highly recommend La Calcina too, but its price is considerably
higher than it used to be. Also, it's small and popular, so unless you
book early it can be hard to get rooms there.

And one other point--there's no elevator, so you have to climb stairs
to get to your rooms.

And four other points for Allan:

1. Venice is small enough so that almost every hotel is fairly close
to a stop for a vaporetto (note the spelling, and note that the plural
is "vaporetti").

2. You can get a water taxi to come to you on almost any "canal" (most
are not called canals), but be aware that they are *very* expensive.

3. There are two main Milano airports: Malpensa and Linate, but if
have an international flight, you probably need Malpensa. Be sure you
know which airport you are flying from. To get to Milano, you will
want to take a train from the Venice Santa Lucia station. The train
station isn't much more than a 20-minute walk from almost any hotel.
Alternatively, you can take a vaporetto to get there.

The train will take you to the Milano train station. From there, you
will need to take a taxi or a bus to the airport you need.

4. Have you considered flying home from the Venice Marco Polo airport
instead of Milano? If you're not locked into the flights you already
have, you might want to look into that possibility. It would be much
more convenient, and save you the time and expense of transportation
to Milano. To get to Marco Polo from Venice you can take either a bus
(with wheels) or a taxi (with wheels) from the Piazzale Roma (which is
near the train station. Alternatively you can take a water vehicle,
but it's less convenient and more expensive.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

wrote:

"Allan" wrote in message
[...]

I'd also consider Marco Polo. The train trip to Milan is not that
exciting. I'd try and squeeze some extra hours out of Venice.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
hackamore

Allan wrote:

We are 2 senior couples who are ending a cruise in Venice, Italy. We
would like a reasonably priced hotel that is close to local
transportation, water taxis. vaporettes, etc. We also have to get to
Milan airport for our return flights. TIA

Hi,

what hotels, transportation options, etc is your travel agent recommending?

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-07-21, Allan wrote:

We are 2 senior couples who are ending a cruise in Venice, Italy. We
would like a reasonably priced hotel that is close to local
transportation, water taxis. vaporettes, etc. We also have to get to
Milan airport for our return flights. TIA

I did my Venice booking through hrs.de (available in multiple languages)
and was very happy with location, quality and price. Though that was in
winter.

There's a direct train to Milan every hour. The journey takes 2½ hours
and ends at Milano Centrale. From there you can take a bus to the Malpensa
airport (50 minutes). The total trip should take 4 hours. I would
recommend going to the train station on your first day in Venice and get
your tickets.

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-07-21, Allan wrote:

We are 2 senior couples who are ending a cruise in Venice, Italy. We
would like a reasonably priced hotel that is close to local
transportation, water taxis. vaporettes, etc. We also have to get to
Milan airport for our return flights. TIA

I did my Venice booking through hrs.de (available in multiple languages)
and was very happy with location, quality and price. Though that was in
winter.

Just checked my records, the hotel was "Bella Venezia, Calle dei Fabbri
4701/11", a 4* with a very central location. No view though. Paid EUR 124
for 3 people with a good breakfast included.