Limited walking

Old September 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

Default Limited walking

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 13:32:15 +0100, William Black
wrote:

I have a friend who needs a wheel chair all the time and she tells that
London is particularly bad.

yes, hard to judge if you don't use one

For example most of the Underground system doesn't allow wheelchair
access

while most of the country doesn't have an underground in the first
place, upstairs on a double decker isn't good either.
--
Mike
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:10:51 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

For travelling with my mother, who has limited mobility, I bought a
folding seat/walking stick - whenever she needed to stop and sit down,
the seat was popped open. It was fairly inexpensive, and is certainly
easier to handle than a wheelchair.

and for those wishing to give an impression of non disability, its
called a shooting stick, isn't it?
In London buy one from James Smith & Sons Umbrellas, a piece of
history.
--
Mike
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote:

I have a friend who needs a wheel chair all the time and she tells that
London is particularly bad.

yes, hard to judge if you don't use one

For example most of the Underground system doesn't allow wheelchair
access

while most of the country doesn't have an underground in the first
place, upstairs on a double decker isn't good either.

Neither is upside-down on a bicycle.

Are you insane?

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

:

wrote:

I have a friend who needs a wheel chair all the time and she tells that
London is particularly bad.

yes, hard to judge if you don't use one

For example most of the Underground system doesn't allow wheelchair
access

while most of the country doesn't have an underground in the first
place, upstairs on a double decker isn't good either.

or downstairs on /any/ bus.
--
Tim C.
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote:

I have a friend who needs a wheel chair all the time and she tells that
London is particularly bad.

yes, hard to judge if you don't use one

For example most of the Underground system doesn't allow wheelchair
access

while most of the country doesn't have an underground in the first
place, upstairs on a double decker isn't good either.

or downstairs on /any/ bus.

Again, all the buses here have ramps and 'kneel down' and have a space
for a wheelchair.

So do most buses in the UK these days.

Except in London...

Old September 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

wrote:

For travelling with my mother, who has limited mobility, I bought a
folding seat/walking stick - whenever she needed to stop and sit down,
the seat was popped open. It was fairly inexpensive, and is certainly
easier to handle than a wheelchair.

and for those wishing to give an impression of non disability, its
called a shooting stick, isn't it?
In London buy one from James Smith & Sons Umbrellas, a piece of
history.

Similar idea - but the shooting sticks I've seen, have had a spike on
the end, rather than a set of three big rubber tips, and the seat is
different, too.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Walking_AidsWA222?Args=&refchan =Search

http://www.shooting-sticks.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=8&zenid=3b85f4 cf472b61b612180d60ea370de5
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

[]
or downstairs on /any/ bus.

Again, all the buses here have ramps and 'kneel down' and have a space
for a wheelchair.

So do most buses in the UK these days.

Except in London...

I don't know what you're talking about- nearly all London buses are
low-floor with wheelchair space now. There are a couple of heritage
routes for which this doesn't apply (9 and 15.)

In Manchester, it's a bit mixed- some routes are better than others. The
tram is completely accessible of course (though it's been mostly shut
down over the summer for track rebuilding.)

The tube network is upgrading, but it takes time. Many older metro
systems (e.g. Paris) have similar mobility problems. One of the best
large European for wheelchair access is Barcelona.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
William Black wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

[]
or downstairs on /any/ bus.

Again, all the buses here have ramps and 'kneel down' and have a space
for a wheelchair.

So do most buses in the UK these days.

Except in London...

I don't know what you're talking about- nearly all London buses are
low-floor with wheelchair space now. There are a couple of heritage
routes for which this doesn't apply (9 and 15.)

Well when I'm in London I'm either out in the sticks or in the tourist
bits so my impressions are not typical.

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
William Black wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

[]
or downstairs on /any/ bus.
Again, all the buses here have ramps and 'kneel down' and have a space
for a wheelchair.

So do most buses in the UK these days.

Except in London...

I don't know what you're talking about- nearly all London buses are
low-floor with wheelchair space now. There are a couple of heritage
routes for which this doesn't apply (9 and 15.)

Well when I'm in London I'm either out in the sticks or in the tourist
bits so my impressions are not typical.

When was the last time you got on a bus in the tourist bits? If it
wasn't an old routemaster (9 or 15) it would have been accessible.

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"William Black" wrote in message
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
William Black wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

[]
or downstairs on /any/ bus.
Again, all the buses here have ramps and 'kneel down' and have a space
for a wheelchair.

So do most buses in the UK these days.

Except in London...

I don't know what you're talking about- nearly all London buses are
low-floor with wheelchair space now. There are a couple of heritage
routes for which this doesn't apply (9 and 15.)

Well when I'm in London I'm either out in the sticks or in the tourist
bits so my impressions are not typical.

You have never been one to let facts get in the way of your opinions.
--
JohnT