New aircraft design has rows of passengers sitting face-to-face

Old September 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

Default New aircraft design has rows of passengers sitting face-to-face

Alan S wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:29:45 +0100, William Black
wrote:

I just fly in them...

If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...

Presumably that means you drive a lot and often need to take trains?
Or you pay quite a premium for your travel by air.

I live in the UK.

If I travel a long way I fly, if I travel within Europe I take a boat
or a train onto the continent and then travel in whatever form of
transport makes sense.

The three hour delay for 'security' had made travel by air within the UK
more than a little silly.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

erilar wrote:

wrote:

I just fly in them...

If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...

Presumably that means you drive a lot and often need to take trains?
Or you pay quite a premium for your travel by air.

Personally, I much prefer trains, but none run between the US and Europe.

I would be very surprised indeed if any transatlantic flights didn't
give out free food and booze.

Old September 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
JohnT[_4_]

"William Black" wrote in message

I would be very surprised indeed if any transatlantic flights didn't give
out free food and booze.

You are years out of date. American Airlines, United, Delta all charge for
alcoholic drinks.

--
JohnT

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

JohnT wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message

I would be very surprised indeed if any transatlantic flights didn't give
out free food and booze.

You are years out of date.

Don't let that stop him- updates on London Transport at 10!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
tim.....

"JohnT" wrote in message
"William Black" wrote in message

I would be very surprised indeed if any transatlantic flights didn't give
out free food and booze.

You are years out of date. American Airlines, United, Delta all charge for
alcoholic drinks.

So you still get free food and drinks then

tim

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

tim..... wrote:

"JohnT" wrote in message
"William Black" wrote in message

I would be very surprised indeed if any transatlantic flights didn't give
out free food and booze.

You are years out of date. American Airlines, United, Delta all charge for
alcoholic drinks.

So you still get free food and drinks then

That wasn't the point.

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
JohnT[_4_]

"tim....." wrote in message

"JohnT" wrote in message
"William Black" wrote in message

I would be very surprised indeed if any transatlantic flights didn't
give out free food and booze.

You are years out of date. American Airlines, United, Delta all charge
for alcoholic drinks.

So you still get free food and drinks then

Tea, coffee, soft drinks at no charge but booze definitely isn't free in
Coach/Tourist/Steerage/Cattle Class.
--
JohnT

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Martin wrote:

wrote:

I just fly in them...

If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...
Presumably that means you drive a lot and often need to take trains?
Or you pay quite a premium for your travel by air.

I live in the UK.

If I travel a long way I fly, if I travel within Europe I take a boat
or a train onto the continent and then travel in whatever form of
transport makes sense.

The three hour delay for 'security' had made travel by air within the UK
more than a little silly.

Not only in UK.

Exactly.

Travel from the UK to Holland and you spend three hours in
security/lounge/gate being sold overpriced bottled water because you
can't bring your own.

Or take the ship the night before...

Old September 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Alan S wrote:

[]
I also enjoy trains, but don't travel in them often enough. Something
I intend to rectify next time I get to Europe. Apart from metros I
haven't been on any decent train journeys there.

Not amazing countryside, though often pleasant, my frequent trips
between Manchester and London (2 hours) are very decent these days. They
used to be a bit of a slog, now they're very fast and punctual, not to
mention every 20 minutes during the day! First class is particulary
good. Far nicer countryside is the trip from Manchester to Edinburgh or
Glasgow, though it's slower- the trains are modern but not as
comfortable.

A great trip from the technology point of view would be the mainland
Europe high speed services. I recommend the superfast Paris-Marseilles
and Madrid-Seville- there are others though...

Old September 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Martin wrote:

wrote:

I just fly in them...

If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...
Presumably that means you drive a lot and often need to take trains?
Or you pay quite a premium for your travel by air.
I live in the UK.

If I travel a long way I fly, if I travel within Europe I take a boat
or a train onto the continent and then travel in whatever form of
transport makes sense.

The three hour delay for 'security' had made travel by air within the UK
more than a little silly.
Not only in UK.

Exactly.

Travel from the UK to Holland and you spend three hours in
security/lounge/gate being sold overpriced bottled water because you
can't bring your own.

I have never needed or wanted to buy water at an a airport.
According to BBC 1 Local London News today bottled water is so passe.

Try taking it through security or finding a cold tap on the 'air' side.

Or take the ship the night before...

I take the ship the night before. Two to three hours just to get to the ferry.

I'm just over an hour away from the terminal.

It's actually closer to me than any airport...