McDonald's conquest of France is now complete: McDonald's opens atthe Louvre

Old October 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
John Rennie

Default McDonald's conquest of France is now complete:McDonald'sopensatthe Louvre

Dave Smith wrote:
Earl Evleth wrote:
On 7/10/09 22:36, in article
,
"Dave Smith" wrote:

All the more evidence how versatile burgers are.

But, nobody in NY would call bagel and lox a hamburger.

Of course not, but the topic was burgers, not hamburgers. Never the
less, even hamburgers are as versatile as pizza. A pizza is a layer of
dough with toppings. The sauce can vary and the toppings can vary. A
hamburger is a meat patty served on a bun with various toppings and
condiments. There are as many possibilities for a burger, or even a
hamburger, as there is for pizza.

I got hungry reading that.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On 08 Oct 2009 15:24:47 GMT, "yitzhak in eretz isreal (sic)"

On 2009-10-08, Dave Smith wrote:
Earl Evleth wrote:
On 7/10/09 22:36, in article
,
"Dave Smith" wrote:

All the more evidence how versatile burgers are.

But, nobody in NY would call bagel and lox a hamburger.

Of course not, but the topic was burgers, not hamburgers. Never the
less, even hamburgers are as versatile as pizza. A pizza is a layer of
dough with toppings. The sauce can vary and the toppings can vary. A
hamburger is a meat patty served on a bun with various toppings and
condiments. There are as many possibilities for a burger, or even a
hamburger, as there is for pizza.

**** me, this really is fascinating........

It beats David "I'm a believer" Cameron in Manchester

You are a Boris man?
--
JohnT

Old October 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Surreyman" wrote in message

I saw their Luxor branch open - and rapidly close.

Not that I went there, but I think it was open last month when I was in
Luxor. The locals are very proud of it!

Ian

Old October 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Bill Bonde { 'by a commodius vicus of recirculation' )[_2_]

From: "Bill Bonde { 'by a commodius vicus of recirculation' )"

Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:41:48 +0100
Subject: McDonald's conquest of France is now complete:McDonald'sopensat
the Louvre

Mitchell Holman wrote:

"Bill Bonde { 'by a commodius vicus of recirculation' )"
wrote in
:

Earl Evleth wrote:

On 5/10/09 21:10, in article , "Bill
Bonde { 'by a commodius vicus of recirculation' )"
wrote:

A Filet O Fish isn't a pizza, Earl.

You got my point, but you remain this groups dummy.

I got your point? You claimed that pizza was more versatile. I
showed that this was simply an artefact of defining the hamburger
narrowly. You didn't refute. I win.

Bonde Logic in a nutshell. If you can't "refute" whatever
bizarre claim he is making then he "wins".

The bizarre claim is from Earl, who insists that pizza is more
"versatile" while narrowly construing "burger" to only be beef
between two buns, probably specifically two white flour burger
buns. My argument is that it is the definition he's attributed to
"burger" that makes it less "versatile". All one would have to do
is define "piazza" without allowing anything but cheese, and it
would suddenly lose its "versatility" too.

My American Webster's Dictionary gives the following definitions of
hamburger:

1) Ground beef;

2) A fried, broiled or baked patty of the same meat;

3) A sandwich made with such a patty, usually in a round bun.

What versatility! Beef, beef, beef.

It should be noted that my entire point was and is that the
supposed "versatility" of pizza is due to the definition of "pizza"
being broadly construed. It's a different pizza if you use
hamburger as opposed to ground turkey for the meat part of the
topping. But it's not a "hamburger" if the burger is made from
turkey.

Pizza, as defined by the same dictionary, gives the following:

1) An Italian dish made by baking a thin layer of dough covered with a
spiced preparation of tomatoes, cheese, and, often, sausage, mushrooms,
anchovies, etc.

2) Any of various similar dishes consisting of dough cov ered with simple
combinations as of fresh vegetables, herbs, and shellfish, and baked.

Compare these two definitions, and tell me which one, the hamburger or the
pizza, has the most versatility.

I would say that they both can be done very differently and are
very versatile. But if you can change how you make the bread part
of the pizza, you can do that with the burger too. If you can
change what the meat topping is in a pizza, you should be able to
with a burger as well. Even using meats that wouldn't really be
"burgers", which I'd limit to meat and meat like products that were
either ground or flaked or similarly constructed, should be
included within a broadly construed recognition of the versatility
of the "sandwich".

--
What I hate about flip flops is the flip and the flop.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

Default McDonald's conquest of France is

From: "Bill Bonde { 'by a commodius vicus of recirculation' )"

Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:26:02 +0100
the Louvre

From: "Bill Bonde { 'by a commodius vicus of recirculation' )"

Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:41:48 +0100
the Louvre

wrote:

[...]

In that case, a "filet o' fish" could not be called a "hamburger" either,
since the burger (according to you) is made from fish.

[...]

So you would limit "burgers" to "meat and meat like products". We come back
again to the "filet o' fish", which is not exactly the same thing. A lot of
meat lovers would not consider fish to be a "meat like" product.

You're right, though, sandwiches are versatile. But burgers are a narrow
variation of sandwiches, not the whole spectrum.

Donna Evleth

Donna Evleth

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Martin wrote:

So what is the burger equivalent of a calzone?

Deep fried burger.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Earl Evleth wrote:
On 8/10/09 17:16, in article ,
"Dave Smith" wrote:

Of course not, but the topic was burgers, not hamburgers.

Burgers is short for hambugers. Note also there is
not ham in hamburgers!

Never the
less, even hamburgers are as versatile as pizza.

I cited a local place that has 28 pizzas.

I have not seen a McDonalds with 28 difference
offerings. McDonalds normal evolution has been,
as in the case of dinosaurs toward gigantism.
Bigger is better and bigger goes in with
that element of American culture which says
bigger is better (example McMansions).
("McMansion is a pejorative term used to describe a large house,
particularly in the United States")``

That would be a slab of pizza dough cooked with 28 different
combinations of the more common toppings

- pizza with sauce
- pizza with sauce and cheese
- pizza with sauce and pepperoni
- pizza with sauce, cheese and pepperoni
- pizza with sauce and onion
- pizza with sauce, cheese and onion
- pizza with sauce, cheese, onion and pepperoni
- pizza with sauce, green or red peppers
- pizza with sauce, cheese, onion, pepperoni and peppers

Given the standard toppings; sauce, cheese(s) pepperoni, sausage,
peppers, hot peppers, onions, anchovies, green olives, black olives,
bacon, and many others, what you have is pizza dough with various
combinations of toppings. It is still a pizza. Similarly, a burger (a
cooked patty served in a bun) can be made with different meats or
combinations of meat with cheese or cheeses, and topped with the same
sorts of things as a pizza. They are pretty well equally versatile.

A pizza is a layer of
dough with toppings. The sauce can vary and the toppings can vary. A
hamburger is a meat patty served on a bun with various toppings and
condiments. There are as many possibilities for a burger, or even a
hamburger, as there is for pizza.

Right, base on a meat base. Even with fish or chicken that who thing
is fried to death.

The best pizzas are sea food based although the French variant,
"la tarte provincal", because of its use of herbs
http://www.marmiton.org/Recettes/Rec...te-courgette-m
ozzarella_13052.aspx

is better tasting than almost any commerical Italian based pizza or US
hamburger (American have not real intuition with regard to use of herbs)

for some photos see /www.recoin.fr/recette/tarte+provencale.html

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

Default McDonald's conquest of France is now

On 8/10/09 19:30, in article ,
"Dave Smith" wrote:

- pizza with sauce
- pizza with sauce and cheese
- pizza with sauce and pepperoni
- pizza with sauce, cheese and pepperoni
- pizza with sauce and onion
- pizza with sauce, cheese and onion
- pizza with sauce, cheese, onion and pepperoni
- pizza with sauce, green or red peppers
- pizza with sauce, cheese, onion, pepperoni and peppers

No sea food, a French favorite is with tuna.

Speed Rabbit has

IE8 Explorer*
Crème fraîche, Mozzarella-cheddar, Reblochon, Bleu, Chèvre, Rondelles de
tomates fraîches, Poivrons

Kebab Street*
Crème fraîche, Mozzarella-cheddar, Moutarde à l'ancienne, Lamelles de veau
et volaille, Oignons, Poivrons

New York*
*Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Sauce barbecue, Oignons, Double steak
haché, Cornichons

Indiana*
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Sauce curry, Double émincé de poulet,
Pommes de terre

Spicy Lovers*
Sauce tomate, Sauce salsa, Mozzarella-cheddar, B¦uf épicé, Double merguez,
Rondelles de tomates fraîches

Chicken Pepper*
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Double émincé de poulet, Merguez,
Poivrons

French Burger*
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Moutarde à l'ancienne, Crème fraîche,
Champignons, Steak haché, Double rondelles de tomates fraîches

Alaska*
* Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Crème fraîche, Oignons, Double saumon
fumé

Hawaïenne
* Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Jambon, Morceaux d'ananas

¹Alsacienne
Crème fraîche, Mozzarella-cheddar, Oignons, Double lardons
*
*Country
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Double lardons, Emincé de poulet, Crème
fraîche

Long Island*
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Cocktail de fruits de mer (crevettes,
moules, anneaux d'encornet, chair de spisule), Crème fraîche, Persillade

Canadian Brunch
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Lardons, Pommes de terre, Crème fraîche

Mediterranée
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Chorizo, Poivrons, Chèvre, Rondelles de
tomates fraîches, Oignons

Barracuda*
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Crème fraîche, Thon, Oignons

Crazy Bun¹s
Pizza soufflée
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Jambon, Jaune d'oeuf, Champignons, Lardons

Bronx
* Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Double jambon, Champignons

5 Légumes*
Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Champignons, Poivrons, Oignons, Rondelles
de tomates fraîches, Olives noire

Napolitana*
* Sauce tomate, Mozzarella-cheddar, Anchois, Olives noires

^plus a half dozen more