Limited walking

Old September 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve[_16_]

Default Limited walking

I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?
She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

Steve wrote:
I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?
She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

Thanks!

Has she considered a wheelchair? My wife also has MS and for years
struggled along as best she could, often using our old child's pushchair
to lean on when walking. However, when she eventually decided to get a
wheelchair she described it as being enabled all over again. Don't think
of it as a defeat.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Steve wrote:
I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?
She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

A wheelchair is a possibility in most of the Western World.

For example, in the UK most public buildings have disabled access for
wheelchairs and many places have ramps at pavement edges.

Unfortunately London is particularly bad for wheelchair access but get
out of London and it's much better.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:39:55 +0100, William Black
wrote:

Unfortunately London is particularly bad for wheelchair access but get
out of London and it's much better.

are you sure?
--
Mike
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?
She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

Can she handle stairs? If so, cities with good public transport
including metros and ferries would be accessible. (And some places
with good rural public transport, like Malta with its bus system).

Most of Turkey would be difficult (once you've got off a bus) but
she could see a lot of Istanbul. Good idea to stay in one of the
hotels near Sirkeci railway station, that puts you only a few minutes
walk from the tram, the Eminonu bus station, the ferries and the
suburban railway line. Walk over the Galata Bridge, and the Tunel
would get her up the hill to Pera/Beyoglu.

The picturesque bits of Lisbon are well served by public transport
too. Porto, forget it.

London seems to have a lot of Tube maintenance work at the moment,
you might have to figure out their bus network (something I've never
managed).

I went to Romania and Hungary this summer with similar constraints -
rapidly worsening coronary artery obstruction. I didn't know what
the problem was, just that I had to stop every couple of hundred
yards and wait for the pain to go away. Budapest would have been
easily doable if I'd been prepared to stick to places near the tram,
metro and bus routes (and there are quite a lot of city centre road
works at the moment which mean some circuitous walking). Going by
train to the far east of Transylvania was a doddle.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?

Going by train to the far east of Transylvania was a doddle.

I should have warned: getting on and off most trains in Eastern
Europe isn't easy. You need to climb up from track level using
the steps, which are vertical and more widely spaced than on a
stepladder. Getting a wheelchair on board might be impossible.

Old September 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:00:56 -0700, Steve wrote:

She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

what about a private boat on UK inland waterways? It would need two
others to "work" it comfortably. When you get off the towpath is level
(otherwise the water would all run up one end) :-)
--
Mike
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jaque Niffe

On Sep 9, 1:07*pm, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,

*Steve wrote:
I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?
She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

Thanks!

Rent a motorized wheel chair at your destination.

like fat americans at disneyland
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

Steve wrote:
I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of disability?
She doesn't want a cruise, for various reasons...

For travelling with my mother, who has limited mobility, I bought a
folding seat/walking stick - whenever she needed to stop and sit down,
the seat was popped open. It was fairly inexpensive, and is certainly
easier to handle than a wheelchair.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote:

Unfortunately London is particularly bad for wheelchair access but get
out of London and it's much better.

are you sure?

Reasonably sure, yes.

I have a friend who needs a wheel chair all the time and she tells that
London is particularly bad.

For example most of the Underground system doesn't allow wheelchair
access and many London taxis, even if fitted with ramp (They have a
yellow disk on the front), don't like stopping for wheelchairs because
of a local disabled payment scheme.

As I live in a town that wins prizes for public provision for the
disabled I'm not really in a position to judge