What to do in Singapore for a month?

Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:16 PM
SoloG

Default What to do in Singapore for a month?

Hi,

I'm looking to be in Singapore for February but I'm not sure whether I
need to spend a full month there travelling.

Could I ask for a few tips on what to do and where to go? I'd like to
travel as cheaply as possible. What's the best way to travel around
Singapore?

Thanks,

Old November 4th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Edwin Lau

Use Singapore as a launchpad if you must to visit the other
countries in Asia such as Malaysia, Thailand and perhaps Indonesia.

You probably do not need a month in Singapore to do everything
you need to do. Getting around Singapore is easy, the cheapest
way is to walk but beyond that, there is the bus systems and the
subway (MRT) which are relatively affordable. Staying in Singapore
however can be costly compared to the other parts of Asia.

Several tourists spots in Singapore would be the Jurong Birdpark,
the Singapore Zoological Gardens, Sentosa and probably shopping
in Orchard Road. If you are into the cultural diversity then visit little
india
in Serangoon, Chinatown and Geylang Serai for the feel of the malay
community.

As for food, skip the hotels and cafe and dive into the diverse food
variety offered at the food centres around almost every street corner.
Singaporean live to eat..

All in all, if you do it slowly, a week should be enough to explore most
of Singapore worth exploring.

Edwin

om...

Old November 4th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Peter L

"SoloG" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking to be in Singapore for February but I'm not sure whether I
need to spend a full month there travelling.

Could I ask for a few tips on what to do and where to go? I'd like to
travel as cheaply as possible. What's the best way to travel around
Singapore?

I would say a week. You can also hangout with all the expats and drink thru
the night.

Thanks,

Old November 4th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Miguel Cruz

SoloG wrote:
I'm looking to be in Singapore for February but I'm not sure whether I
need to spend a full month there travelling.

Probably you'll get antsy after a little while; it's basically just one city
and its suburbs. It's nice enough, there are some interesting neighborhoods,
and the food is great, but it's not the world's most exciting place - given
that you'll be in a region rich with possibilities for travel, you might as
well make the most of it.

Could I ask for a few tips on what to do and where to go? I'd like to
travel as cheaply as possible. What's the best way to travel around
Singapore?

Well, I've walked halfway across the island in a day, so it's not as if
you'll need to fly. Between the MRT and the buses you can get most
everywhere of interest.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:10 AM
EAC

"Edwin Lau" wrote in message ...
Use Singapore as a launchpad if you must to visit the other
countries in Asia such as Malaysia, Thailand and perhaps Indonesia.

Malaysia and Thailand is quite easy to travel, since there's a land
connection to there. Indonesia and Singapore however is separated by
water, one need to travel using ships or airplanes. But it's still
relatively quite easy to travel to Indonesia from Singapore and vice
versa, just like many Indonesians that prefer to have vacations on
Singapore than Bali. And also many Singapore have vacations in the
nearby Indonesian island of Batam.

And also it should be noted that AirAsia is offering budget travel
from Senai (Johor Bahru, near Singapore) to Kuala Lumpur, and Kuala
Lumpur to Alor Star (near Hatyai, a Thailandnese bordertown).

http://www2.airasia.com/general.php?p=pmain&l=en

You probably do not need a month in Singapore to do everything you need to do.

Correct. One month is an overkill.

Getting around Singapore is easy, the cheapest way is to walk
but beyond that, there is the bus systems and the
subway (MRT) which are relatively affordable.

Correct. Bus, MRT, and the relatively small size of Singapore made it
relatively quite easy, affordable, and fast to travel

And as mentioned walking is always the cheapest wa.

Staying in Singapore however can be costly compared to the other parts of Asia.

The other alternative would to stay at Johor Bahru (a Malaysian border
town near singapore), then do regular commute to Singapore.

Beware though, since a LOT people also doing the same thing. Since
Johor Bahru citizens is a huge part of the huge traffic between Johor
Bahru and Singapore, because a lot of Johor Bahru citizens works in
Singapore.

Though I think passing the customs is easier and faster if you weren't
Singaporean nor Malaysian, since a special dedicated non-Singaporean
and non-Malaysian counter is given to speed things up for foreigner.
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Miguel Cruz

EAC wrote:
Though I think passing the customs is easier and faster if you weren't
Singaporean nor Malaysian, since a special dedicated non-Singaporean
and non-Malaysian counter is given to speed things up for foreigner.

Much, much faster. Usually you'll have the line to yourself. If you're
sneaky and lucky you can skip ahead one or two buses.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM
PhilD

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
EAC wrote:
Though I think passing the customs is easier and faster if you weren't
Singaporean nor Malaysian, since a special dedicated non-Singaporean
and non-Malaysian counter is given to speed things up for foreigner.

Much, much faster. Usually you'll have the line to yourself. If you're
sneaky and lucky you can skip ahead one or two buses.

If you intend to do multiple crossings, try and get a few extra forms on
your first trip and fill them in ahead of time.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Edwin Lau

"PhilD" wrote in message

If you intend to do multiple crossings, try and get a few extra forms on
your first trip and fill them in ahead of time.

If you decide to cross the causeway, try travelling after 9am in the morning
and also skip the 4 to 8pm in the evening. This is when shift workers travel
to and fro the causeway.

If you are taking the bus, make sure that you have a lot of change or get
one of those TransitLink card from any MRT station or bus interchange
in Singapore. It makes travelling in Singapore a lot easier and that applies
to bus 170 which travels up to Johor Bahru in Malaysia.

After you cross the Johor causeway, you might be greeted with lots of
touts trying to sell you their 'taxi' service, usually in their private cars
and their rates are usually higher than the normal licensed taxi. A typical
trip anywhere around Johor Bahru town is about RM 5. Taxi are usually
metered but they may not turn the meter on. Either have them use the meter
or agree on a price before the start of the journey.

Edwin

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
kong

One ***month*** in singabore.....