Can I walk from KING'S CROSS to CHARING CROSS ROAD?

Old September 28th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Rebecca Webb

Default Can I walk from KING'S CROSS to CHARING CROSS ROAD?

How far is it from King's Cross to Charing Cross Road? None of the maps
I've found on-line include distance indicators. Is it a kilometer or two
as the crow flies and maybe a third further on foot down streets like
Euston and Eversholt and Kingsway? Or is it really far, so that walking
is out of the question unless you've got all day?

Also, I've visited a site about development of King's Cross that says the
area is still 'troubled' (I'm paraphrasing) by prostitutes and drug
dealers. Does the area between King's Cross and the river (Thames) fall
into the category of impoverished 'inner' London (as referenced in a
December 2002 report on children living in poverty from the Greater London
Authority analyzing data collected by the government's Department of Work
and Pensions) or is it part of the more prosperous 'outer zone'?

RW

--
------------------------------------
We're not bad. We're just sorted that way.
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Rebecca Webb

Thanks, all! (You, too, L in B, C).

RW

--
------------------------------------
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Rebecca Webb

Thanks, all! (You, too, L in B, C).

RW

--
------------------------------------
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Bob Fusillo

Note: when an Londoner says it's a ten minute walk, take a taxi.
rjf

"Rebecca Webb" wrote in message
Thanks, all! (You, too, L in B, C).

RW

--
------------------------------------

Old September 29th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Martin Rich

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:12:17 -0500, (Rebecca Webb)
wrote:

How far is it from King's Cross to Charing Cross Road? None of the maps
I've found on-line include distance indicators. Is it a kilometer or two
as the crow flies and maybe a third further on foot down streets like
Euston and Eversholt and Kingsway? Or is it really far, so that walking
is out of the question unless you've got all day?

It depends a little on where in Charing Cross Road. The Transport for
London journey planner at
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/ can handle
any combination of methods of travel, including walking. You can set
a maximum walking distance as well. Choosing an average walking speed
and the middle of Charing Cross Road gives a walking time of 40
minutes.

Also, I've visited a site about development of King's Cross that says the
area is still 'troubled' (I'm paraphrasing) by prostitutes and drug
dealers.

It is, but the troubled area is really very small. King's Cross is
also a busy area, if a bit seedy in places, and there will be many
people just going about their business walking around at most times of
day or night. In any case the seedy area is mostly north of Euston
Road: if you are walking towards Charing Cross I suggest heading south
from Euston Road (the journey planner recommends walking along
Tonbridge Street then cutting across to Judd Street) as soon as
possible, simply because the Euston Road itself is too busy with
vehicles to be very pleasant for walking along

Does the area between King's Cross and the river (Thames) fall
into the category of impoverished 'inner' London (as referenced in a
December 2002 report on children living in poverty from the Greater London
Authority analyzing data collected by the government's Department of Work
and Pensions) or is it part of the more prosperous 'outer zone'?

I don't know the report but it sounds rather misleading: there are
plenty of very prosperous area in inner London. And there's a lot of
London between Kings Cross and the Thames!

If anything, the trend in London in the past twenty years has been
towards regeneration and gentrification of residential areas that are
quite close to the centre. To the south of Euston Road you get from
Kings Cross into Bloomsbury and Holborn very quickly. This area
includes much of the University of London's central precinct and is
very pleasant to walk around.

Martin

Old September 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM
The Reids

Following up to Rebecca Webb

Also, I've visited a site about development of King's Cross that says the
area is still 'troubled' (I'm paraphrasing) by prostitutes and drug
dealers. Does the area between King's Cross and the river (Thames) fall
into the category of impoverished 'inner' London (as referenced in a
December 2002 report on children living in poverty from the Greater London
Authority analyzing data collected by the government's Department of Work
and Pensions) or is it part of the more prosperous 'outer zone'?

The poorer areas of London form a doughnut round the rich centre.
But that is a generalisation, you will find what you call
projects in rich areas and newly fashionable areas within poorer
areas. KIngs Cross is still known for drug dealing and
prostitution but nobody worries about walking about there in the
daytime. Within minutes of leaving Kings Cross you are in
Bloomsbury, a very upmarket area.
If you head along Euston Road (west) then turn down Tottenham
court Road (south) then keep going in that direction through
Covent Garden you hit Charing Cross Road. Its well under 2 miles,
how much depending on which end of Charing Cross Road.
If you want to make it a better walk maybe go Woburn Place -
Russel Square - British Museum - Shaftsbury Avenue.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site