One day in Paris

Old October 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

Default One day in Paris

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:18:13 +0100, Magda wrote:

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:39:33 -0600, in rec.travel.europe, Dave Smith
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... Carole wrote:
... We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
... looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
... Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
... suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
... If you have never spent a few hours in the Pere LaChaisse
... cemetery you should consider that.

In winter, in the cold, maybe under the rain. Right.

Sounds interesting to me! The rain would just add to the atmosphere.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
-hh

David Gee wrote:
"JuanElorza" wrote:
Carole wrote :

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to...

Visit medieval Paris, Chapelle Royale, Notre Dame de Paris, cross the
bridge and go to the latin quarter, stroll in rue de la huchette, rue
du chat qui peche, see the musee de cluny, Panthéon, Saint Germain
des Pres

Juan makes good suggestions. I would add the archaeological crypt
under Notre-Dame square. Just 50 metres from the front of the cathedral,
it shows the history of Paris as uncovered "layer by layer", dating from
the third century. Worth a short visit.

There's also the Holocost memorial at the other end of the island.

Also at Les Invalides, the new permanent exhibits on World Wars I & 2, a
huge 3-year project just opened. Really good, especially the section on
espionage and the Resistance in occupied France during WW II.

There's also the existing huge section on 18th/19th century stuff to
get lost in. Overall, I think that it is probably a good idea to have
a "fair weather" / "foul weather" list of choices. And for repeat
visitors, to look for things newly rennovated or reopened since one's
last visit. For example, the "Musee de l'Orangerie des Tuileries
(Orangerie Museum, Tuileries gardens) just reopened in 2006, after a
long - then delayed - rennovation:
http://www.musee-orangerie.fr./documents/anglais2.pdf

There's also a (recently opened?) Tropical Aquarium that I've been
meaning to track down some more info on. Its been featured on France2
TV and it appears that its at 293, avenue Daumesnil
(http://www.palais-portedoree.org).

-hh

Old October 31st, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Clarke

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:40:34 GMT, Carole wrote:
md91h.2613$WB4.2481@trndny04

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.

http://www.arts-et-metiers.net/ The Musee des Arts et Metiers on Rue Reaumur
in the 3rd. Alas, the site is French-only but this review from TIME Europe is
in English: http://www.time.com/time/europe/maga...5/science.html

It's France's Smithsonian Institution. If you go in, you'll spend all day
there.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old November 6th, 2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

Hi,

ok... how about the Invalides Complex (tomb, musee de l'armee, musee de
l'ordre de la liberation), the Cathedral at St. Denis, and Pere
LaChaise(sp? help somebody... the Cemetery)....

the Louvre again...

and why not the Eiffel tour again? I've gone up at night late during the
holidays and the city is beautiful with all the holiday nights.

weekend? the clingacourt markets.

Carole wrote:
We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
Thanks.
Carole

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
(Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)
Old November 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

... We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
... looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
... Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
... suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
... If you have never spent a few hours in the Pere LaChaisse
... cemetery you should consider that.

In winter, in the cold, maybe under the rain. Right.

Hi,

one thing about winter travel is the weather is a big variable...

I have visited Paris at Christmas before... holidays with the family...
and it's interesting...

and sometimes the weather is better than others...

Old November 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ron thomas

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:40:27 GMT, Anonymouse
wrote:

... We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
... looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
... Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
... suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
... If you have never spent a few hours in the Pere LaChaisse
... cemetery you should consider that.

In winter, in the cold, maybe under the rain. Right.

Hi,

one thing about winter travel is the weather is a big variable...

I have visited Paris at Christmas before... holidays with the family...
and it's interesting...

and sometimes the weather is better than others...

Certainly the huge Clignancourt Market is an experience but be extra
careful - it is an absolute certainty that at some time someone will
try to lift your purse or wallet. The place is crowded and thick
with would-be thieves. But it covers an enormous area and you can
buy anything from tat to fine art. The best time - Sunday morning.

Old November 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Vincent de Groot

Carole wrote:
We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
Thanks.
Carole

Check out La Grande Mosquee:

http://www.photo-vinc.com/Galleries/...uee/index.html
Old November 18th, 2006, 11:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_2_]

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:13:13 +0100, Vincent de Groot wrote*:

Carole wrote:
We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the
day. Thanks.
Carole

Check out La Grande Mosquee:

http://www.photo-vinc.com/Galleries/...uee/index.html

You can see also, the Orthodox Saint Alexander Nevski church, russian
music during offices.
http://www.parisrama.com/thematiques...gliserusse.htm
This Parisrama web site contains a list of dozens of monuments and places.
http://www.parisrama.com/english%20v...glishindex.htm
See for example Eglise Saint-Severin (latin quarter)
http://www.parisrama.com/thematiques...erin_paris.htm
It is located in rue de la Harpe, one of the oldest streets in Paris
(it was named via inferior in the roman times).
Many old streets and (very) old houses there.

--
Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do
it himself. -- A.H. Weiler

Old November 18th, 2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Hello,

We are form Paris, only 20 minutes north, in the border of
Montmorency's Forest and close to Van gogh area (Auvers sur Oise). We
are based in Val d'oise, where lot's of famous castels are based. Few
weeks ago we received some americans peoples in our bed and breakfast
and we bring them to different area around Paris : Good restaurants,
Castels, Church, and so much things ...
They also spend a day in Paris taking train from here with a free pass
for all traveling in paris cost 8 € for one day !
Anyway if you are interested by finding a place to stay I give you our
website information :
http://www.domaine-des-aquarelles.com

Have a nice stay in Paris
Thanks and regards,