tips for a new cruiser?

Old July 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Anonymouse

Default tips for a new cruiser?

Hi,

considering grabbing a 5 night cruise out of new orleans... never
cruised before... what do I need to know?

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Michael Siemon

In article ,
Anonymouse wrote:

Hi,

considering grabbing a 5 night cruise out of new orleans... never
cruised before... what do I need to know?

As a first time cruiser, you should in all charity be forewarned
that sometime during your cruise, the purser's mate will enter
your cabin in the early hours and force you, dressed in some
silly costume or other, up to the bridge to entertain the crew.

HTH. HAND.

:-)
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rog'

"Anonymouse" wrote:
considering grabbing a 5 night cruise out of new orleans
... never cruised before... what do I need to know?

Check out www.cruisecritic.com. There's an excellent
section for 1st-time cruisers. You can find a reveiw of
your cruiseship and they have a forum section where you
can ask questions, or read comments by others.

Old July 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

You will find some helpful information and excellent advice at
http://www.shiptoshorecruise.joystar...entID=10011545,
just for first-time cruisers.

John

Old July 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_2_]

While my wife and I have never encountered this, be prepared with some sort
of sea-sickness prevention.
(Dramamine or some prescription remedy)

We have never been seasick even in 30 foot swells but we have seen how it
can really ruin a cruise.

Old July 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

Is motion discomfort a problem?
Not really. The most popular cruise areas boast some of the calmest waters
in the world. In addition, stabilizers on modern ships, advance availability
of accurate weather information, and development of effective preventative
medications have, for the most part, eliminated the incidence of motion
discomfort.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency No. 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

m...

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_2_]

It has never been a problem for us but if it is completely gone why do we
see people riding the rail with their head over it puking their guts up?
(and no, they are not drunk)
Even the slightest movement can affect some people.
Better to be safe than sorry.

"John Sisker" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is motion discomfort a problem?
Not really. The most popular cruise areas boast some of the calmest waters
in the world. In addition, stabilizers on modern ships, advance
availability of accurate weather information, and development of effective
preventative medications have, for the most part, eliminated the incidence
of motion discomfort.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency No. 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

m...

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

The cow is to fat to puke over the side, she justs let it go when she gets
seasick! YUK!!!!!!!
"Jr." wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Connie L

On Jul 11, 12:36 am, Michael Siemon wrote:
In article ,

Anonymouse wrote:
Hi,

considering grabbing a 5 night cruise out of new orleans... never
cruised before... what do I need to know?

As a first time cruiser, you should in all charity be forewarned
that sometime during your cruise, the purser's mate will enter
your cabin in the early hours and force you, dressed in some
silly costume or other, up to the bridge to entertain the crew.

HTH. HAND.

:-)

Funny, but thank God, not true (at least in my experience over the
past 40 years).
I have good luck with Bonine. We take it the first day, just in
case. Choose a room low in the ship and about halfway between bow and
stern (nose and tail of the ship) to minimize movement if you're not
sure how the movement will affect you. It is okay to say no to
photographers, umbrella drinks, and anything else that costs money and
doesn't sound like fun to you. Enjoy.
Connie