Meeting Royalty in Europe

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:48 PM
Reid

Default Meeting Royalty in Europe

Following up to Tim Challenger

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:56:01 +0000, Reid wrote:

Influenceing the subconscious through belief (not my original idea. ....

Oh really? You disappoint me.

my subconscious must have said that :-)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:48 PM
Reid

Following up to Tim Challenger

real Juan.(get the subtle little jokes, huh).
Perleeze!

I trust you got real=royal in spanish?

Although my wife did bump into the Queen once, while out for an
early run. Also, the chap I used to play golf with also goes
fishing and hired the same ghillie that the Queen Mum used to
use. Beat that Robert!

Prince Charles used to hunt on my sister's farmland and they'd pop in for
tea out of chipped mugs of a cold morning. na na nana na

Right then, once my mum was driving through Knighsbridge and saw
the Queen with full bags of shopping, so she stopped the Morris
Minor traveller and said "O Queen, wouldst though like a lift,
marm?" It went OK except she had seen a lot of Henry VIII films
and thought you had to reatreat from Royals walking backwards, as
a result she ran over a beefeater reversing out of Buck House! So
that buggered the OBE.

were *you* joking?
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:48 PM
Reid

Following up to Tim Challenger

on the royal plane for a week of
massages and relaxation.

You can't relax in Monaco, it's an ant-hill.

and so noisy when the F1 is on.
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:04 PM
Reid

Following up to Arwel Parry

I get the impression that most people in the UK get to meet royalty
sooner or later, since they put themselves around a lot.

Diana put her self about so much that one of the princes
distinctly looks like that bloke (Hewitt?).

I can only think of one person who has been to a garden party,
ironically the people who worship the royals are probably the
least likely to be asked to one
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:20 PM

In article ,
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com (nightjar) wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
m...
Oh, yea? Then why is royal watching so popular with the masses.

It is popular enough to sell newspapers at the low end of the market in
the
UK, but then so are football, scandal, government sleaze and women with
naked breasts.

Indeed. I haven't counted column inches, but ISTM the British royals who
get the most coverage in the UK press are Prince William (young,
good-looking, glamorous, rich) and Princess Diana (all the above plus dead
in what people call "tragic circumstances").

They're both much more discussed than the Queen (head of state but
quiet, sensible and uncontroversial). So in a sense the royals who are
attentively watched are so because of the characteristics they share with
celebrities in general, not because of their royal-ness per se.

I appreciate there is a bit of circularity in this argument!
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:20 PM

In article ,
(Robert) wrote:

Thanks. I have found a lot of valuable information on this newsgroup
over the years. I posted for the first time ever a few days ago and I
had and have no intention of annoying people. Informing them? Yes.
Making them laugh? Yes. Making them wonder? Yes. But not intentionally
annoying them. Why would I do that? On the other hand some of the
comments to my postings were nasty (by American standards) and
uncalled for.

I'm surprised you didn't expect that if you have, as you claim, been
reading this newsgroup for years. Maybe you have just been searching it
for nuggets and not reading entire threads - but you should realise now
that that is probably not how most people use it, and...

I had the time of my life in Europe this summer and let
me tell you I can only imagine others did not because they wore tennis
shoes to hikenup trails, sprained their ankle and got hypothermia. All
this could of been avoid if they saw the post on tennis shoes in the
Alps (or any mountains for that matter)

....(how often does this need to be said?) the chances of someone who is
about to hike the Alps in tennis shoes reading the group at the precise
time you post this advice are rather small; the chances of someone in that
position thinking "hmmm, I imagine tennis shoes are okay but I'd better
search the archives of rec.travel.europe just in case they're not" are
even smaller.

You would be doing much more of a service if you read the group and
responded to other people's queries, travel plans etc. Your points will
then be read by the people who can benefit from them.
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:35 PM
Reid

Following up to Robert

On the other hand some of the
comments to my postings were nasty (by American standards)

polite by european ones?