Smoking in European hotels?

Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

Default Smoking in European hotels?

During 2006 I had no problem locating hotels that allowed smoking within our
own room (non-smoking rooms were available for those who wished this).

This year, my travel agent informs me that this is virtually impossible to
locate (in Italy, specifically).

Has something happened in the meantime?

Or do I sack the travel agent?

Surreyman

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to "a.spencer3" :

During 2006 I had no problem locating hotels that allowed smoking within our
own room (non-smoking rooms were available for those who wished this).

This year, my travel agent informs me that this is virtually impossible to
locate (in Italy, specifically).

Has something happened in the meantime?

Or do I sack the travel agent?

Surreyman

Could this be to do with the general anti-smoking law changes that happened
there recently? Maybe a 2-stage ban? Just guessing.

--
Tim C.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:23:24 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

During 2006 I had no problem locating hotels that allowed smoking within our
own room (non-smoking rooms were available for those who wished this).

This year, my travel agent informs me that this is virtually impossible to
locate (in Italy, specifically).

Has something happened in the meantime?

Or do I sack the travel agent?

Surreyman

Thank for letting us know.

Excellent news!

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

wrote:

During 2006 I had no problem locating hotels that allowed smoking within our
own room (non-smoking rooms were available for those who wished this).

This year, my travel agent informs me that this is virtually impossible to
locate (in Italy, specifically).

Has something happened in the meantime?

It's certainly becoming rarer. What happened was that Italy outlawed
smoking in bars and restaurants, except under certain very restrictive
conditions. Everyone thought it would never work, but it turned out
that Italy was full of long-suffering nonsmokers who very quickly made
the most of the law and began complaining about smoke in every other
place as well. For example, among the private group we play cards
with, the nonsmokers began to demand that the smokers go outside to
indulge. Hotels apparently have seen that it pays to ban smoking.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

a.spencer3 wrote:

During 2006 I had no problem locating hotels that allowed smoking within our
own room (non-smoking rooms were available for those who wished this).

This year, my travel agent informs me that this is virtually impossible to
locate (in Italy, specifically).

Has something happened in the meantime?

Or do I sack the travel agent?

You could stay at the Continental in Treviso?

(They had a choice of smoking/non-smoking rooms when we were there in
April.)

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

During 2006 I had no problem locating hotels that allowed smoking within our
own room (non-smoking rooms were available for those who wished this).

This year, my travel agent informs me that this is virtually impossible to
locate (in Italy, specifically).

Has something happened in the meantime?

It's certainly becoming rarer. What happened was that Italy outlawed
smoking in bars and restaurants, except under certain very restrictive
conditions.

The law doesn't seem to have the same strict definition of an enclosed
place though, as exists in the UK and, I think, Ireland. One
particularly nice restaurant in Alghero had tables outside under an
archway on a quaint narrow street. This would have met the enclosed
space definition here. I wasn't bothered too much by it, but someone
working at the restaurant spent his time chain smoking and we were
unfortunately upwind of him!

Same thing for the cloister where we had breakfast in our hotel, now
that I think about it- it would be 'substantially enclosed' here. Not a
problem though, as there was tons of space there. Great coffee too!

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

wrote:

[...]

The English 'enclosed space' rules don't apply to hotel rooms - it's still
perfectly possible to get 'smoking' rooms.

Surreyman

Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

a.spencer3 wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message

[]
The English 'enclosed space' rules don't apply to hotel rooms -

Nor does the Italian law.

it's still
perfectly possible to get 'smoking' rooms.

For the moment. A lot of B&Bs are increasingly non-smoking though.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

wrote:

[...]

Think it's best so. All room being no-smoking means probably that one or
another smoker lights up in the room despite not allowed so.