Canadian Debit Cards in USA ???

Old May 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Mike F

Default Canadian Debit Cards in USA ???

Sure, but I'm not at risk for losing any money because the max liability is
$50 for fraudulent charges and most card companies waive even that. With
debit cards I have no protection.; the bad guys have ALREADY taken CASH from
my bank account.

Mike F

"Mike O'sullivan" wrote in message

"Mike F" wrote in message

I have a credit card used ONLY online, so if it's compromised I
can just cancel the card and not care and if I have to dispute charges

on
it, it doesn't hold up my "real" life.

Surely though, if your credit card was compromised, the first you would

know
about it would be when an unauthorised item appeared on your statement.
Merely cancelling the card would not cancel out your liability for the

debt?
You'd still have to dispute the debt wouldn't you?

Old May 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Bob Hatch

"Mike F" wrote in message

Sure, but I'm not at risk for losing any money because the max
liability is $50 for fraudulent charges and most card companies waive
even that. With debit cards I have no protection.; the bad guys have
ALREADY taken CASH from my bank account.

Mike F

Why did you give them the PIN number?

--
"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Mike F

You misunderstood: that's a hypothetical, based on the vulnerability of
debit cards.
I've never had, and never will have, a debit card, simply because a) I can
think of no advantages, b) they are vulnerable to cash theft I can't
dispute, and c) every financial guru I've ever read says "DO NOT OWN A
DEBIT CARD".

Mike F

Old May 20th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Peter Pan

I see, you've never actually had any experience, don't know anything about
banking laws that have been around for years, and reduce your liability to
zero rather than $50, but are passing on horror stories that have no basis
in truth, and that you have no experience with..... hmmmmm

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Bob Hatch

"Mike F" wrote in message

You misunderstood: that's a hypothetical, based on the vulnerability
of debit cards.
I've never had, and never will have, a debit card, simply because a)
I can think of no advantages, b) they are vulnerable to cash theft I
can't dispute, and c) every financial guru I've ever read says "DO
NOT OWN A DEBIT CARD".

I didn't misunderstand. I understood fully. However, when I asked the
question "Why did you give them your PIN number" it was in response to your
statement that "With debit cards I have no protection.; the bad guys have
ALREADY taken CASH from my bank account."

They cannot get the money from your account without the PIN number.

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Mike F

Please explain to us poor ignorant sheep how we get cash back after a thief
has taken it from our bank account, and why all the family finance gurus
advise us to avoid debit cards.

Mike F

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Ron

"Bob Hatch" wrote in message
"Mike F" wrote in message

Sure, but I'm not at risk for losing any money because the max
liability is $50 for fraudulent charges and most card companies waive
even that. With debit cards I have no protection.; the bad guys have
ALREADY taken CASH from my bank account.

Mike F

Why did you give them the PIN number?

He may not have given his PIN number. Some technology in the bad guys hands
can record the PIN number as it is punched in and along with that, they read
the magnetic strip on you card as you swipe it. The next step is to create a
working copy of the card. Then you the owner of the original card are
screwed.
--
Ron P

Sometimes you're the windshield