Airline ticket taxes

Old June 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM

Default Airline ticket taxes

After purchasing a typical round-trip airline ticket recently, I noted
that there are actually a *bundle* of taxes that go toward the aviation
infrastructure, the total of which was around $50. The breakdown
includes the PFC (passenger facility charge fo 3 airports), the 9-11
security fee, as well as federal excise tax to help pay for the FAA.
FWIW, air taxes are basically fixed per ticket, w/o regard to the
ticket price. Based on the taxes paid, does anyone know of an
approximate percentage of the total costs that are paid w/ the
admittedly high taxes? It would be a good way to see how subsidized air
*really* is vs rail. Thanks.

Later,
Nelson Chen

__o Same road Boycott Wal-Mart, union-buster.
_`\,_ Same rights
(_)/ (_) Same rules

Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:23 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

" wrote:

After purchasing a typical round-trip airline ticket recently, I noted
that there are actually a *bundle* of taxes that go toward the aviation
infrastructure, the total of which was around $50.

Yep. Air tickets are second only to telephone bills for incidental taxes, some
only vaguely related to the service in question.

The breakdown includes the PFC (passenger facility charge fo 3 airports),

AIrports were allowed to sink their claws into passengers on top of the
substantial rent fees, & landing fees they collect because the Feds wouldn't
release the exise taxes they had already collected. Made the budget numbers look
bad. BTW - this applies equally to both parties, so it isn't a political issue.

It was passed with the understanding that each airport could only charge $3,
with a $6 limit on the ticket. Of course, once that they got it in place, they
changed the limits to $4.50.

the 9-11security fee,

Mind you this is on top of all the money the airlines were already spending on
security before 9/11 and required to give to the government after 9/11.
Basically, a chunk or your airfare goes towards security, PLUS the 9/11 fee.

Don't you feel so much safer?

as well as federal excise tax to help pay for the FAA.

That money was originally intended to pay for runway, towers and navaids only.
FAA operations was supposed to come out of general government reveue, just like
defense and other national functions.

A few years ago they started siphoning off the AIP money to pay for the
operating the FAA. Guess what? Surprise!!! No money available for airport
improvements. Got to raise those darn passenger charges.

FWIW, air taxes are basically fixed per ticket, w/o regard to the
ticket price. Based on the taxes paid, does anyone know of an
approximate percentage of the total costs that are paid w/ the
admittedly high taxes?

Its obviously dependent on the carrier type and flight length. A good average
number these days is 25% and climbing. One of the major reasons that Southwest
switched to much longer leg lengths was to try to minimize the impact of all the
fixed taxes.

It would be a good way to see how subsidized air *really* is vs rail. Thanks.

We haven't even talked about the taxes collected on fuel...
Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Retired

wrote in message
oups.com...
After purchasing a typical round-trip airline ticket recently, I noted
that there are actually a *bundle* of taxes that go toward the aviation
infrastructure, the total of which was around $50. The breakdown
includes the PFC (passenger facility charge fo 3 airports), the 9-11
security fee, as well as federal excise tax to help pay for the FAA.
FWIW, air taxes are basically fixed per ticket, w/o regard to the
ticket price. Based on the taxes paid, does anyone know of an
approximate percentage of the total costs that are paid w/ the
admittedly high taxes? It would be a good way to see how subsidized air
*really* is vs rail. Thanks.

Later,
Nelson Chen

In the US, you might think you are done by but read about the situation
in Europe (or at least in England):
last October, I purchased a round-trip ticket from London-LHR to
Paris-CDG on Air France, it was a cheap fare, mid/week & middle of the day,
(FYI it's an actual 45 minute flight though scheduled for 1.10hr).

Anyway, the total cost of the ticket was GBP 68.30....
but when I received my ticket I saw that the actual cost of the
flight was only GBP 25.00 and the rest (GBP 43.30!!!!)
was for Taxes/charges/you name it, etc....

The State and Media fought for years for Cheaper Fares,
which the Airlines now provide (GBP 12.50 for a flight,
including a free snack and refreshments together with a checked
baggage of 20Kgs IS cheap) but the total cost has actually gone up,
the charges and taxes making-up for the savings made by
the Airline Industry.

Retired/uk.

ps. GBP = £ = USD / $ 1.82.