European trip ?'s

Old January 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default European trip ?'s

Following up to PTRAVEL

I have two carry-on bags -- a camera bag backpack and a small rolling TUMI
computer case. Inside the camera bag is my video camera, tape, extra
batteries, my still camera, three lenses, a digital audio recorder, two
microphones, a rain cape for the camera, a monopod, and battery chargers.
Inside my TUMI is my computer, power supply, various needed accessories
(wifi card, cables, mouse, etc.), my QC2 headphones, my MP3 player, my
travelling pharmacy, my PDA, my blackberry, my cellphone, a book or two and
magazines.

do you mean you walk on with two bags? A lot of airlines seem to
be pretty strict on hand luggage (increasingly I think).
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin

3 days in London, easiest place to start as English spoken, then
Eurostar to Paris, then on to Switzerland (car/train?), so three
places in about 10 days, sounds sensible to me. You dont want
ages in a place you might decide you dont like. Next year maybe
try somewhere "latin", Sevilla, Firenze, Venice?

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION: If you are going to use local spelling be
consistent, Mike.

Nah, I'll use what I'm comfortable with, as does pretty much
everybody else. With preference for the "real" name is there's a
choice in the front of my mind.
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin

yes, first class is a waste of money, better spent upgrading
elsewhere.

Not when it's somebody else's money.

nobody suggested that was the case.

sigh and nobody didn't.

so you agree it was a pointless comment?
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin

Nah, I'll use what I'm comfortable with, as does pretty much
everybody else. With preference for the "real" name is there's a
choice in the front of my mind.

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but it looks 'kin silly
when you mix them.

shrug
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to PTRAVEL

I have two carry-on bags -- a camera bag backpack and a small rolling TUMI
computer case. Inside the camera bag is my video camera, tape, extra
batteries, my still camera, three lenses, a digital audio recorder, two
microphones, a rain cape for the camera, a monopod, and battery chargers.
Inside my TUMI is my computer, power supply, various needed accessories
(wifi card, cables, mouse, etc.), my QC2 headphones, my MP3 player, my
travelling pharmacy, my PDA, my blackberry, my cellphone, a book or two
and
magazines.

do you mean you walk on with two bags? A lot of airlines seem to
be pretty strict on hand luggage (increasingly I think).

I've only had problems in Europe on the LCCs (Ryan Air comes to mind) --
I've never had any problem with the major carriers.

Old January 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to PTRAVEL

do you mean you walk on with two bags? A lot of airlines seem to
be pretty strict on hand luggage (increasingly I think).

I've only had problems in Europe on the LCCs (Ryan Air comes to mind) --
I've never had any problem with the major carriers.

I've had a couple insist on weighting them in the last couple of
years.(non LCC in at least one case, IIRC).
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to PTRAVEL

do you mean you walk on with two bags? A lot of airlines seem to
be pretty strict on hand luggage (increasingly I think).

I've only had problems in Europe on the LCCs (Ryan Air comes to mind) --
I've never had any problem with the major carriers.

I've had a couple insist on weighting them in the last couple of
years.(non LCC in at least one case, IIRC).

That happened to me only on EasyJet. What I've described is my standard
kit, and I've taken it on (from memory) Alitalia, Lufthansa, KLM, TAP,
Iberia, Royal Air Maroc, India Air, China Eastern, Cathay Pacific, Dragon
Air, Air China, Air Canada and, of course, the various American carriers.
If the airlines really start cracking down, I'm going to have a problem
because, given the content of the carryons, I would never be willing to
check them. However, so far, so good.

Old January 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Carole Allen wrote:

[]
But those busses that run around London making about a 60--90 minute
loop can be fun. I went Paris-London on Eurostar, was in my B&B by
1:30 and out on a bus getting my bearings by 2pm. Gave me a good idea
of what was walkable, what I should use the Tube for (turned out most
of it was walkable).

Very true, and good point to make. Much of the central 'sights' are
within walking distance, and it gives a great feel for the city. To tell
the truth, I'd say that of many great cities- Paris and New York come to
mind.

I had already spent time with a map of London
and had marked things I particularly wanted to see, but the bus
provided a nice introduction to the city and helped me make the most
of my 5 days (which I did on my own).

With a little planning, you can also do it (without commentary of
course) on regular buses. However, on this front, the introduction of
the bendy buses are a disadvantage, as you don't get as good a view as
you can get from the top deck of a double decker.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to PTRAVEL

If the airlines really start cracking down, I'm going to have a problem
because, given the content of the carryons, I would never be willing to
check them.

I'm finding that my cameras take up my entire cabin allowance
nowadays. If I had a PC too I can see it would be a real problem.
My old film manual SLR with 3 lenses fitted into the space of my
auto digital body with one 12-24 lens. Leaving two large lenses
to find space for. I was hill-walking over the new year and my
digital never got a look in, too bulky for the rucksack.
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

the introduction of
the bendy buses are a disadvantage, as you don't get as good a view as
you can get from the top deck of a double decker.

yet more drawbacks, a driver got crushed and killed between two
the other day.