Looking for travel buddies to Mongolia towards the middle of May 04

Old May 9th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Vilas

Default Looking for travel buddies to Mongolia towards the middle of May 04

I am between jobs so I am planning to take a quick two week trip to
Mongolia before I start my next job.
Possible start date of the trip May 17/18/19 thru May 31/ June 1/2 and
I can accomodate +-3 days.
The operator ecotravelMongolia has quoted me the following price:
8-10 - 730 USD per person
5-7 - 820 USD per person
2-4 - 1000 USD per person

I live in San Francisco area and this trip can be customized to suit
our needs.
If anyone has used EcotravelMongolia, I would like to know your
experience.
I hope to get 2 to 4 travelers to join me for this fantastic trip to
Mongolia.
thanks.
-- vilas

================== the trip =========================================

The offer comprises all the best things you can do in Mongolia. You
spend 3 days horse riding in the steppes of central Mongolia, staying
in nomadic camps, witnessing true nomadic culture and civilization,
then 4 days in Gobi desert, enmesh yourself in the breath-taking
sunsets and sun-rises, follow the trails of world re-known
anthropologists who discovered the largest remains of dinosaur
fossils, have fun camel riding, then spend 3 days in Khakhorin and
Erdenezuu, two of the most famous remains of the great time in
Mongolian history. In the countryside we will provide the tent
accommodation, for those who wish to spend a night an two in tourist
ger camps in Gobi and Kharkhorin we will provide such opportunity at
their own expense. 2 interpreters/guides will accompany the group,
meals in the country side will be provided, transportation will be
provided throughout the trip, horses also will be provided. The offer
also includes 3 days in the city during which you can explore the
museums, do shopping and just enjoy yourself in numerous of UB
nightclubs. We will also provide logistics for seeing Naadam in the
city - cars, interpreters.

But as in any special offer there is a catch: in order to realize the
trip we need a group of 10 people. We hope that we will easily gather
10 people for such a great offer. Second: the timing is limited to
June 25 till July 25. As we will gather responses to the offer, the
exact timing will be determined in consultation with those who wish to
join. Thirdly: unfortunately for this trip, we can not have special
meals for vegetarians. Please, bear with us, because logistically for
such a price it would be impossible. The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 Drive from UB for 150kms to a place called "Ulahiin bulan". It
is located on the bank of the river Tuul and is combination of
semi-desert and grassy valleys. Visit local family and spend a night
in tent.

Day 2 Take horseback riding lessons. Local herdsmen will help you to
adjust to Mongolian horse.After lunch ride to a hill called "Badrah"
in 10-15kms. Visit locals on the way. Overnight in tent.

Day 3 Ride to a place called "Elsen am" in 10kms. It is a small piece
of desert in the middle of grassy valley and nearby mountains and
river. There are quite a few camels in the this area. We will prepare
a special Mongolian meal called boodog where a whole body of goat will
fried on fire.

Day 4 Drive towards Gobi desert. View the wonderful sites of
Delgerkhaan mountains. Differnt animals will cross your road, you will
also see the stone monuments from the mid-age. Stay overnight in
Middle Gobi province.

Day 5 The spirit of Indiana Jones will take you to the one of the
world's largest Dinosaurs Excavations at the Gobi desert. This is a
great photo opportunity. Visit Bayanzag

Day 6 A stunning view and catch a shot or two at the National
Preservation Land and Eagle Valley.

Day 7 Drive up north-west towards Kharkhorin. Stay overnight in
Everkhangai province.

Day 8 Visit the Kharkhorin. Situated in between the river of Orkhon
and in the valley of Khangai mountains, Kharkhorin was the capital of
one of the most powerful and extended nomadic Empires - the Empire of
Chinggis Khaan. The construction was started by Chinggis Khaan himself
and in 1220, during the reign of his third son Egedei, it was named
the capital city. Major constructions were finished by 1236. The city
was surrounded by rectangular walls approximately 4x4 kms. Four gates
were located on each side and on the eastern gates trade was conducted
on grains, vegetables, on western gates - sheep and goats, on southern
gates - carts, bulls, handcrafts and, finally, horses market was on
the northern gate. Closer to the northern end was the castle of Egedei
Khaan, named the Khaan of Ten Thousand Prosperity. Today only the
basement walls of the castle are remaining. According to old legends
four turtles were created to protect the city from floods. One of them
is still intact near the gates.

Day 9 Visit the Erdenezuu monastery. Erdene dzuu monastery is one of
the oldest monasteries on the territory of Mongolia. It was created in
1586 in the location just opposite Kharkhorin by the most influential
noble of the time Avtaikhaan. The construction began in 17th century
and continued until the early 19th century. When erecting the
monastery the stones from the remains of Kharkhorin were used. Most of
the work was done under the supervision of the Mongolian architect
Manzshir. It is believed that not a single nail was used in the
construction of the moastery. The territory of the monastery was
surrounded by 400x400 meter walls connecting 108 surbagan (the stone
constructions erected on the occasions of important events or the
burials of nobles). 10 thousand lams inhabited the monastery at the
its peak and more than 60 praying houses were in inside. The praying
houses that remain now contain Mongolian, Chinese, Arabic and Tibetan
writings dating back to 13th and 14th century. There are various
monasteries remaining throughout the territory of the Monastery. Most
notable among them are Gurvan dzuu (Three Dzuu) - central, western and
eastern. They contains most remarkable religious artifacts. The
monastery was badly damaged in 17th and 18th century during the
in-fighting between Mongolian nobles and struggle against Manchu
aggressors. It was also damaged very seriously in the 1930 during
anti-religious purges. The monastery was restored several times and
the latest restoration took place in the 1990s.

Day 10 Drive back to UB and arrive in the evening. I bet it would be
such joy to see civilizatio abck and normal after 10 days on the
road!!!

3 days before or after the countryside trip will be reserved for
seeing the Naadam festivities in the city, visiting the museums (2
museums) and shopping.