Advise needed: how many days for Gibb river road.

Old April 7th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Marc

Default Advise needed: how many days for Gibb river road.

G'day,

I'm planning a trip from Darwin to Perth, okt/nov 2005.
How many day's should be planned for the "Gibb river road" and added for
the side trip on the kulumbura road? I want to take it slow and get a good
idee of this part of the Kimberley's.
Mode of transport a 4wd camper (L. cruiser).

Thanks!

Marc

Old April 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Frank Slootweg

Marc mmiatocedotenel wrote:
G'day,

I'm planning a trip from Darwin to Perth, okt/nov 2005.
How many day's should be planned for the "Gibb river road" and added for
the side trip on the kulumbura road? I want to take it slow and get a good
idee of this part of the Kimberley's.
Mode of transport a 4wd camper (L. cruiser).

We did the Gibb River Road in early October 2000. We took 4 days from
Kununarra to Derby. That was including a side trip to Windjana Gorge
(but not to Tunnel Creek), but not the Kulumbura road. We had sufficient
time to take it easy and walk to and swim in the river and gorges.

However I'm worried about your "okt/nov 2005". You will have to do the
GRR in *early* October. Later in October is too late (due to the wet
season) and November is way too late. Our last day on the GRR was the
11th of October and even then the road into the Silent Grove campground
(Bell Gorge?) was closed due to rain. We could still get out of the
campground, but nobody could get in anymore.

Old April 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"Marc" mmiatocedotenel wrote in message
G'day,

I'm planning a trip from Darwin to Perth, okt/nov 2005.
How many day's should be planned for the "Gibb river road" and added for
the side trip on the kulumbura road? I want to take it slow and get a good
idee of this part of the Kimberley's.
Mode of transport a 4wd camper (L. cruiser).

Thanks!

Marc

I done by bus before. But i would think u need well over a week.

Australian Vodafone, Telstra, Virgin and Optus sim card bids starting at 99p
! Vodafone
Cards for sale from £6.99. Telstra sim cards for sale from £9.99
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimenta...lian-Sim-Cards

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimenta...tralian-Photos

Australian and NZ Forum - Upload and view your photos for free.
http://www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php
Resister for free at
http://www.poms.co.uk/forum/register.php

http://www.poms.co.uk/austsraliansimcard.htm
http://www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm

Old April 18th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Jack

Nov is still OK, the rains don't generally start till late Dec there. But
the heat!

Also by that time of the year the corrugations will shake all your tooth
fillings out.

Remember, its a Loooong way from anywhere out there. We had a vehicle
problem that rammed home the fact that at Kulumburu, you are 700 kms from
the nearest town, and there are no services at Kalumburu....

Allow another 4 days for the Kalumburu road and the sights it has (Mitchell
Plateau and the Falls.)