Mexico, east coast or west?

Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
Kenny-Z

Default Mexico, east coast or west?

Hi group,

I hope to be visiting Mexico City in March and don't know when would
be the best time to visit...

Other than that, we will certainly want to see at least some
coastline, but I don't know much about Mexico. I'm not looking for
Cancun or McDonalds or anything, but I want to see some places that
are enchanting, beautiful, inspiring, 'cultural', historic, etc., both
in land and coastal.

thanks for any tips,

kz

Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Bob F.

"Kenny-Z" wrote in message
Hi group,

I hope to be visiting Mexico City in March and don't know when would
be the best time to visit...

Other than that, we will certainly want to see at least some
coastline, but I don't know much about Mexico. I'm not looking for
Cancun or McDonalds or anything, but I want to see some places that
are enchanting, beautiful, inspiring, 'cultural', historic, etc., both
in land and coastal.

thanks for any tips,

kz

There is plenty to see and do in Mexico City, including all of the things
that you specified above,
"enchanting, beautiful, inspiring, 'cultural', historic, etc.". I read once
that there are over 300 museums in Mexico City alone. Are you just planning
to land and then escape to the country?

Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
George

How long do you have to travel away from DF? That will determine
where we send you. What is your budget like? You mentioned not
wanting to be with a million dumb Gringo (used generically not for
Americans specifically) tourists, which considering March break in
Cancun is a good idea, but what is your budget like? That too will
determine what we suggest.

You may not even get to the coast. There is so much to see in the
valley of Mexico and surrounding mountains (well away from DF) that
the coast should only considered if you "must" get to the beach.

And Bob as much as there is to do in DF, I would escape in a heartbeat
without feeling I was missing anything. Assuming he has seen the
Anthropology Museum. That is a must.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Kenny-Z

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..

"Kenny-Z" wrote in message
[...]

Yes and no. Mexico city sounds like both an entry point and
destination. Also, I may possibly be able to make contacts in the area
(Tlaxcala) through an uncle, maybe... I know I would like to see some
of the ancient ruins in/near Mexico City, as well as some of the
myriad other good things (museums, etc...). But I'm guessing it would
be shame to take a trip like this and not see any of the coastal
areas. But which one and where? The east coast is closer is about all
I know.

thanks and regards,

kz

Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
Kenny-Z

"George" wrote in message
How long do you have to travel away from DF? That will determine
where we send you. What is your budget like? You mentioned not
wanting to be with a million dumb Gringo (used generically not for
Americans specifically) tourists, which considering March break in
Cancun is a good idea, but what is your budget like? That too will
determine what we suggest.

Budgest is modest, I suppose. That rather depends on what air and
lodging end up costing. So far I'm planning 8 days including travel
(so 6 good days).

What is 'DF'? Sorry, I'm missing the abreviation...

You may not even get to the coast. There is so much to see in the
valley of Mexico and surrounding mountains (well away from DF) that
the coast should only considered if you "must" get to the beach.

It would be nice. I haven't actually seen the ocean since I was 12
(1982), and that was North Carolina, USA.

And Bob as much as there is to do in DF, I would escape in a

heartbeat
without feeling I was missing anything. Assuming he has seen the
Anthropology Museum. That is a must.

No, haven't seen the Anthropology Museum, or any of Mexico. I heard
from a friend that that would be a good place to go.

thanks for the reply!

Ken

Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Bob

DF is the Distrito Federal, roughly corresponding to Mexico City and often
used to refer to it. A sight to see among many, many there is the Diego
Rivera murals in the goverment buildings in the Zocalo.

For a short coastal visit, think of Veracruz. Not a beach resort, but a
fascinating city with great seafood and outdoor marimba music. It may be the
closest sal****er destination from DF, doable by bus if your budget is tight.
I haven't been there in many years but remember it fondly.

Getting ahold of a travel guide (there might be quite a few at your local
library) would help answering a lot of questions you haven't thought of, and
bring up a few more specific ones that folks in this group could help with.

In article , se says...

.. .

Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:09 PM
H. Michel

Before you visit any of the many ruin sin Mexico, I really recommend a
trip to the Templo Mayor and the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City.

Tlaxcala, to the southeast of Mexico City, is a wonderful little town
to visit. On weekends, many people come here from Mexico City and during
the week it is very quiet. Near Tlaxcala are the Cacaxtla ruins with
coloured frescos.

Puebla, a colonial city, and nearby Cholula with its giant pyramid with
the tunnels inside, are also interesting and fascinating for historical
reasons.

The route to Veracruz is historically important and also scenic. Once we
travelled the route that Cortez took from the coast to Tenochtitlan
(Mexico City), reading the journal all the way that one of his
companions wrote at the time.

The beaches on the east coast are not as beautiful, but there are good
beaches north (towards Papantla and Tajin) and south of Veracruz.
Veracruz itself is very distinctive in food, sites and culture.

Get yourself some good books about Mexican history and a good travel
book (Moon, Lonely Planet, Green Michelin guide to Mexico, etc.), a map,
and do some reading. Then ,mark on the map the places that sound
interesting and plan a route around that. The route to Veracruze is
less touristed and takes you through some fascinating areas of Mexico.

Mexico is a marvelous country to travel in.

Kenny-Z wrote:
"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..

Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:11 AM
Kenny-Z

"Bob" wrote in message
DF is the Distrito Federal, roughly corresponding to Mexico City and

often

Right. Got it.

used to refer to it. A sight to see among many, many there is the

Diego
Rivera murals in the goverment buildings in the Zocalo.

For a short coastal visit, think of Veracruz. Not a beach resort,

but a
fascinating city with great seafood and outdoor marimba music. It

may be the
closest sal****er destination from DF, doable by bus if your budget

is tight.
I haven't been there in many years but remember it fondly.

Thanks, I was wondering about Veracruz for its proximity. I will look
up more info on this.

thanks,

kz

Getting ahold of a travel guide (there might be quite a few at your

local
library) would help answering a lot of questions you haven't thought

of, and
bring up a few more specific ones that folks in this group could

help with.

In article , se

says...

.. .

Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:42 AM
Martik

Read the book Aztec by Gary Jennings and you will appreciate the ruins you
will see there .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...074840006/sr=1
-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-1071567-9269759?v=glance&s=books