Traveling to Europe in May

Old April 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan

Default Traveling to Europe in May

So I have a trip planned in May to visit Scotland, Germany, and
Austria. I have planned the trip mostly, but I would like some
recommendations on where to visit in Scotland. I have a blog regarding
my trip, if you could post at my blog and post any pictures, and tell
me where I should visit, that would be awesome. Thanks!

http://european-explorer.blogspot.com/

-Dan

Old April 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 8:59 am, "Dan" wrote:
So I have a trip planned in May to visit Scotland, Germany, and
Austria. I have planned the trip mostly, but I would like some
recommendations on where to visit in Scotland.

The combination Edinburgh and Glasgow is good. To a large extent
Glasgow's strenghs is Edinburgs weaknesses and vice verca. The
countryside should also be worth a visit if you susspect that your are
even slightly interested in whiskey a distellery-visit could be a
great way to see the countryside. I am not sure if the Scotish
football league will be over in May, but somebody else might help me
out with that?

Jan

Old April 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On 5 Apr 2007 21:59:32 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

So I have a trip planned in May to visit Scotland, Germany, and
Austria. I have planned the trip mostly, but I would like some
recommendations on where to visit in Scotland. I have a blog regarding
my trip, if you could post at my blog and post any pictures, and tell
me where I should visit, that would be awesome. Thanks!

http://european-explorer.blogspot.com/

-Dan

Are you driving? I'm not sure what weather conditions will
be like in May, we wandered the area in early July when it
was pleasant and warm, with incredibly late twilights.
Interesting places dredged from the memory are Edinburgh Old
Town, Linlithgow Castle (with a guided tour by a young lady
in period dress as the imprisoned Queen), Stirling, Loch
Lomond, we bypassed Glasgow and wandered down the western
coast, via Kilmarnock and the back roads to the border. If I
had had more time I would have wandered further north to the
Highlands.

Use the info centres in the towns for B&B and farmstay
accommodation - but be prepared for the smells of a farm:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
FredBear

"Alan S" wrote in message
On 5 Apr 2007 21:59:32 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

Interesting places dredged from the memory are Edinburgh Old
Town, Linlithgow Castle (with a guided tour by a young lady
in period dress as the imprisoned Queen),

Odd you should mention that because I live in Linlithgow and there is a new
web
site which opened this morning which gives a lot of information about the
town and surrounding district.

www.Linlithgow.com

Old April 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
So I have a trip planned in May to visit Scotland, Germany, and
Austria. I have planned the trip mostly, but I would like some
recommendations on where to visit in Scotland. I have a blog regarding
my trip, if you could post at my blog and post any pictures, and tell
me where I should visit, that would be awesome. Thanks!

http://european-explorer.blogspot.com/

Well, I see your total trip is 24 days. How many days do you plan to devote
to Scotland?

The abbeys you mention are south of Edinburgh. Every thing else is to the
northwest. Look on a map and maybe plot your driving time on a mapping
program like www.multimap.com or the one at the AA website, www.aa.com. I am
warned driving times in Scotland are long and the roads narrow (sometimes
one lane only).

Marianne

Old April 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT

"Mimi" wrote in message
. ..

The abbeys you mention are south of Edinburgh. Every thing else is to the
northwest. Look on a map and maybe plot your driving time on a mapping
program like www.multimap.com or the one at the AA website, www.aa.com. I
am warned driving times in Scotland are long and the roads narrow
(sometimes one lane only).

The AA website referred to by Marianne is the American Airlines website.
Much better to look at www.theaa.com

JohnT

Old April 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
FredBear

"Mimi" wrote in message
. ..

I am warned driving times in Scotland are long and the roads narrow
(sometimes one lane only).

This is true of some of the roads on the west coast north of Fort William
and in Sutherland and Caithness or local minor access routes. It is unlikely
to be a consideration in the places the OP is going to have the time to go
to on his visit. For practical purposes, the roads in Scotland are pretty
much the same as you might expect to find in the rest of the developed
world.

Old April 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:37:30 +0100, "FredBear"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .
On 5 Apr 2007 21:59:32 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

Interesting places dredged from the memory are Edinburgh Old
Town, Linlithgow Castle (with a guided tour by a young lady
in period dress as the imprisoned Queen),

Odd you should mention that because I live in Linlithgow and there is a new
web
site which opened this morning which gives a lot of information about the
town and surrounding district.

www.Linlithgow.com

You live in a lovely district. We stayed in a farmstay B&B
http://www.aranhouse.co.uk/ out of town; it was OK when the
breeze was away from the dairy, which was a reasonable
distance down the fields:-) Only the one night, and we ate
in a village pub not far away. A very pleasant spot.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Much better to look at www.theaa.com

Ooops!

Marianne

Old April 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On 5 Apr 2007 21:59:32 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

So I have a trip planned in May to visit Scotland, Germany, and
Austria. I have planned the trip mostly, but I would like some
recommendations on where to visit in Scotland.

May is a good month, what sort of things are you looking for? for me,
the landscape of the western highlands and islands are what are most
impressive in Scotland.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site