London Tube --Holborn staion

Old December 29th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Charles Hawtrey

Default London Tube --Holborn staion

"Freda" pondered the futility of human
existence in an uncaring universe and yet found the courage to write:

I will be coming from Heathrow on Piccadilly line
and need to transfer to Central line.

I look at tube map and see this is available at Holborn
Is there lifts or escalator at Holborn as I will have two large
suitcases on wheels?.

London Transport has a "Tube Guru" with this sinformation. Point your
browser to http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/guru/index.asp. On the map, click
the station you're interested in, then when the station comes up, on
the tabs at the right click "Station Info". When this loads hit the
"click for access" entry beside the wheelchair icon. Here you will
find for Holborn Station:

booking hall to platform
Central Escalator down, subway then Eastbound: 19 stairs down
Westbound: 20 stairs down Piccadilly Escalator down, escalator down
then Southbound: 20 stairs down Northbound: subway, 22 stairs up.

The text is awkwardly jammed together. Reading carefully you find
e.g., that to reach the Central line you take the escalator down, then
walk through the tunnel (subway) and 19 stairs down to the Eastbound
platform or 20 stairs down to the Westbound platform.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, if you are stopping at Holborn
and going to street level then the "19 stairs down" becomes "19 stairs
up" and so on.

--
hambu n hambu hodo
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Mark Brader

Charles Hawtrey writes:
London Transport has a "Tube Guru" with this sinformation. Point your
browser to http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/guru/index.asp. On the map, click
the station you're interested in, then when the station comes up, on
the tabs at the right click "Station Info". When this loads hit the
"click for access" entry beside the wheelchair icon. Here you will
find for Holborn Station:

booking hall to platform
Central Escalator down, subway then Eastbound: 19 stairs down
Westbound: 20 stairs down Piccadilly Escalator down, escalator down
then Southbound: 20 stairs down Northbound: subway, 22 stairs up.

Which does not answer the original poster's question about changing
from one line to the other -- some stations have direct escalators
from one line to another and from each line to the booking hall.
In this case the reference to two escalators to reach the Piccadilly
Line suggests that the overall layout is something like this (view
in monospaced font for correct alignment):

booking hall **
\\
\\ escalators
\\
\\
\\
\\
**--*-------------*----*
// / \
// *-WB EB-*
// CENTRAL LINE
escalators //
// *-- NB (EB from airport)
// /
**---*--------* PICCADILLY LINE
\
*-- SB (WB to airport)

and while I haven't used the station recently enough to be sure,
I have the feeling that this is actually correct.

(The two Piccadilly platforms are separated because there used to
be a junction on the Piccadilly at this point. There are places
in the station where you can see closed-off passages that formerly
led to the branch line platforms.)

If my interpretation *is* correct, the Piccadilly-to-Central change
would mean going down 22 steps, along a subway (pedestrian tunnel),
up an escalator, along another subway, and down another 20 steps.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto,
MARTIANS BUILD TWO IMMENSE CANALS IN TWO YEARS.
by Our Planetary Neighbors. --N.Y.Times headline, August 27, 1911