What Cities In Virginia And The U.S.....

Old July 9th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Gomez Addams

Default What Cities In Virginia And The U.S.....

Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

Old July 9th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Mark Brader

Do not feed the troll.
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Mark Brader

Do not feed the troll.
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Miguel Cruz

Gomez Addams wrote:
Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

All major cities in Virginia (including Richmond, Arlington, Norfolk, and
Gate City) have already banned cars throughout their downtowns. Also they
have closed their airports. All transportation services are now provided by
some guy named John Munch.

miguel

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Gomez Addams wrote:
Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

These are not necessarily "downtown" areas. They are mostly suburban areas.
They're usually referred to as "Town Center" as in Reston Town Center,
Fairfax Town Center, etc. It's confusing because some of these "town Centers"
are actually malls (STerling Town Center). But others have blocked off
streets. There are others, a lot of Colonial Williamsburg and the commercial
area abutting it are closed to traffic, I think there is a neighborhood in
Richmond.

All are places to spend money. Many (Reston Town Center) are built around a
single commercial development, but have many different things happening, hotels,
outdoor concerts, movies, restaurants, nearby apartments in addition to stores.

There used to be a walking zone in DC near the American Art Museum. I think
not since they started refurbishing it.

Julie

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Gomez Addams" wrote in message
Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

Common practice in the majority of European cities to have pedestrian only
areas.

That, however is very very far from banning cars completely in the city
centre. For the most part city centres in the UK are the main shopping
areas, so it's no different from not allowing cars to drive into the middle
of a shopping mall (for example)

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Mark Hewitt wrote:

Common practice in the majority of European cities to have pedestrian only
areas.

That, however is very very far from banning cars completely in the city
centre. For the most part city centres in the UK are the main shopping
areas, so it's no different from not allowing cars to drive into the middle
of a shopping mall (for example)

That is much what it is like when it is done in the US. Also around significant
historical buildings (true in Williamsburg, Boston, for example).

Historical buildings are often in the walking area in Europe also, I have
noticed.

--
Julie
**********
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM
me

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Gomez Addams wrote:
Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

All major cities in Virginia (including Richmond, Arlington, Norfolk, and
Gate City) have already banned cars throughout their downtowns. Also they
have closed their airports. All transportation services are now provided by
some guy named John Munch.

Central Florida has banned all cars. John Mears now provides all
transportation services. And they will only take you from the airport
to Disney World. Jeb, in gratitude to Michael for not releasing THAT
movie, is also ensuring that the bullet train does not get built
unless it only allows one to get off at the Disney.