Prickly Pear Island (Antigua) radioactive??

Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Steve[_10_]

Default Prickly Pear Island (Antigua) radioactive??

As I mentioned a few minutes ago in an old thread, we are back from our
cruise. (Carnival Freedom, 8 day Eastern Caribbean)
In Antigua, we did a little excursion to Prickly Pear Island for some
snorkeling and beach time. Nice little place with the emphasis on
little! Before we left, I hiked up the the top of the island and walked
from the north end to the top of the south end. The island is so small,
the whole hike was about 5 minutes including admiring the view.

Last night, I was looking up some things I wondered about during the
cruise. I came across a Wikipedia article about Prickly Pear Island. It
says 12 people live there and all 12 were born there. I found that a
little hard to believe since the only visible building was the bar and
restaurant building which appeared to be too small for anyone to live
in. Maybe there is a building or 2 that I couldn't see from above due to
the shape of the slope down to the beach?

Anyway, the article goes on to say the British Government used the
little island, for 5 years, to store spent nuclear fuel rods and they
are still there! Stored in a wood and mud brick structure with a pad
lock at the south end of the island. Six of the 12 residents have had
thyroid cancer. The view of the south end was blocked by the changing
rooms. I looked through to see what was hidden and I think I did notice
some sort of little building. I would have looked a LOT more if I had
read the Wikipedia article before rather than after.

Here's the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prickly_Pear_Island

I would be thinking they were talking about some other island but the
coordinates given match the coordinates given on the Prickly Pear Island
web site for tourists!

Steve
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sherlock1

Observe the note at the top of page..

"This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve
this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material
may be challenged and removed. (December 2008)"

It is technical rubbish.

--
The modern world,
Would be less snarled.

If the most important Marx,
Had been Groucho, instead of Karl.

Willis Frick
SYSOP, Sherlocktron
http://members.cox.net/sherlock1/Sherlocktron.html

Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 6/1/2009 11:57 PM sherlock1 conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray
and said:
Observe the note at the top of page..

"This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve
this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material
may be challenged and removed. (December 2008)"

It is technical rubbish.

I googled the name and found quite a few Prickly Pear Islands. Even
with unique sounding names, people just aren't that original. In the
Caribbean alone, I found two different Prickly Pear islands. I also
found one in the Manasquan River in NJ. There's probably one somewhere
in the Savannah River, near the nuclear dumping spot at the Savannah
River Plant.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sherlock1

One might also note that the 13 Google entries for "Pricky Pear Island"
Radioactive all contain exactly the same words with no cite, reference or
basis....

--
The modern world,
Would be less snarled.

If the most important Marx,
Had been Groucho, instead of Karl.

Willis Frick
SYSOP, Sherlocktron
http://members.cox.net/sherlock1/Sherlocktron.html
m...

Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Steve[_10_]

Ah, well that's significant. I didn't search Google with those words. I
just happened to come across the Wikipedia article after searching
Google for (probably) Prickly Pear Island Antigua.
I can imagine the whole story being made up by some competitor. What a
weird story that would be to be made up out of thin air though.

Steve

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

Steve wrote:
Ah, well that's significant. I didn't search Google with those words. I
just happened to come across the Wikipedia article after searching
Google for (probably) Prickly Pear Island Antigua.
I can imagine the whole story being made up by some competitor. What a
weird story that would be to be made up out of thin air though.

Steve

Wikipedia is a great place for anti-whatever-ists to post their drivel
as fact and almost nobody calls them on it. I could write that prickly
pear was going to be the new location for a Disney property and many
would bite on that as well!

I am not saying that the fuel rods story is bunk .... just that
Wikipedia is a waster of bandwidth in most cases.

--
Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , RayC
wrote:

I am not saying that the fuel rods story is bunk .... just that
Wikipedia is a waster of bandwidth in most cases.

I don't agree. There is a lot of good Wikipedia articles you just have
to read other sources to confirm the info written. I have found a good
amount of mistakes on Wikipedia mostly minor on subjects I know about
but in general the articles are good. It was the same with printed
Encyclopedias. When I did school work in school back in the pre
computer age I might start by reading the Encyclopedia for background ,
we had a World Book set at home, but when I went to the library I would
discover mistakes in the Encyclopedia.

--
Charles