Simple question about ID

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Steve[_10_]

Default Simple question about ID

12 days from our family Eastern Caribbean cruise...

On our only previous cruise, the kids were young and none of us had
passports back then (5 years ago). The required proof of ID was a photo
ID and birth certificate.

Now, the kids are adults and we all have passports. I just seems obvious
that if we all have our passport, we shouldn't need anything else. I
keep looking at the Carnival information and they are still talking
about birth certificates. For the life of me, I can't find a place where
they flat out say we don't need our birth certificates if we have
passports. We should also all have our driver's licenses with us.

Can someone here confirm that it's safe to leave the birth certificates
home this time?

Steve
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On May 11, 9:31*pm, Steve wrote:
12 days from our family Eastern Caribbean cruise...

On our only previous cruise, the kids were young and none of us had
passports back then (5 years ago). The required proof of ID was a photo
ID and birth certificate.

Now, the kids are adults and we all have passports. I just seems obvious
that if we all have our passport, we shouldn't need anything else. I
keep looking at the Carnival information and they are still talking
about birth certificates. For the life of me, I can't find a place where
they flat out say we don't need our birth certificates if we have
passports. We should also all have our driver's licenses with us.

Can someone here confirm that it's safe to leave the birth certificates
home this time?

Steve

I would, as I have yet to need it any cruise I have taken. I have been
on 4 to Alaska, Caribbean, the Panama Canal, and the Mexican Rivera.
All of these were taken in last 5 years.

Michael

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
PeterL

On May 11, 8:31*pm, Steve wrote:
12 days from our family Eastern Caribbean cruise...

On our only previous cruise, the kids were young and none of us had
passports back then (5 years ago). The required proof of ID was a photo
ID and birth certificate.

Now, the kids are adults and we all have passports. I just seems obvious
that if we all have our passport, we shouldn't need anything else. I
keep looking at the Carnival information and they are still talking
about birth certificates. For the life of me, I can't find a place where
they flat out say we don't need our birth certificates if we have
passports. We should also all have our driver's licenses with us.

Can someone here confirm that it's safe to leave the birth certificates
home this time?

Steve

The passport is the gold standard for identification.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Steve
wrote:

Can someone here confirm that it's safe to leave the birth certificates
home this time?

You don't need the birth certificates if you are using passports as
your identity documents.

--
Charles
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

I have never used a birth certificate for international travel. Our
first trip (to Europe on the Nieuw Amsterdam), when I was 12, my
parents saved money by getting only two passports - one was for my dad
and one had my mom, my sister and I on it. We did a Thos. Cook and
Son independent travel trip - not with a guide or group, but with a
book of tickets.

Having only two passports turned out to be a handicap when the porter
gave us back one wrong passport in Switzerland. We discovered this
right after we got off the train. My dad had to jump back on the
train to retrieve the passport, and then he had to get back to us
somehow. I don't think that is allowed now, or at least it is
certainly strongly discouraged.

I went to Bermuda in 1963 and to Europe a second time in 1964 at which
time I had my own passport. My niece was born in Germany, and I'm not
sure whether she had her own passport when she came back to the states
or whether she traveled on her mother's passport - she was still a
baby.

I did not take my first trip to Canada until 1994. We went to Bermuda
again in 1995 and started traveling to the Caribbean after that. In
those days they were still trying to disabuse people of the notion
that all they needed was a voter registration card to travel. My
first trip to Mexico was in 1998. Our first visit to the Bahamas was
in 2001. Our first cruise was 2004

I started using my passport as an ID even for domestic travel about 10
years ago. I do have another photo ID also.

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Steve wrote:

12 days from our family Eastern Caribbean cruise...

On our only previous cruise, the kids were young and none of us had
passports back then (5 years ago). The required proof of ID was a photo
ID and birth certificate.

Now, the kids are adults and we all have passports. I just seems obvious
that if we all have our passport, we shouldn't need anything else. I
keep looking at the Carnival information and they are still talking
about birth certificates. For the life of me, I can't find a place where
they flat out say we don't need our birth certificates if we have
passports. We should also all have our driver's licenses with us.

Can someone here confirm that it's safe to leave the birth certificates
home this time?

We have cruised and flown recently and a passport is the only id we
needed. When you get off the ship in some ports they tell you to take a
picture id with you and if your drivers licence have a picture that is
all you will need. We take old drivers licences with us for that
purpose, we prefer to leave our passports in our safe and not carry it
with us.

Leave your birth certificates home and all will be ok.

sue
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 5/11/2009 11:31 PM Steve "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:

12 days from our family Eastern Caribbean cruise...

On our only previous cruise, the kids were young and none of us had
passports back then (5 years ago). The required proof of ID was a
photo ID and birth certificate.

Now, the kids are adults and we all have passports. I just seems
obvious that if we all have our passport, we shouldn't need anything
else. I keep looking at the Carnival information and they are still
talking about birth certificates. For the life of me, I can't find a
place where they flat out say we don't need our birth certificates if
we have passports. We should also all have our driver's licenses with us.

Can someone here confirm that it's safe to leave the birth
certificates home this time?

Steve

That's Carnival for ya'! In order to get a passport you had to produce
an offecal birth certificate. So, your Passport is by it's nature also
your offecal birth certifikake.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Tue, 12 May 2009 23:08:15 -0400, Brian K
wrote:

[...]

Nope. A birth certificate shows where you were born, which in in lex
solis countries like the US is prima facie evidence of citizenship. A
birth certificate doesn't help prove US citizenship if you weren't
born in the US.

A passport is also prima facie evidence of citizenship, which you
might have acquired through naturalization.

In both case, the presumption of citizenship can be rebutted. It is
not common for someone born in the US to not be a citizen, but it is
possible. And I assume that the US, like Canada, occasionally issues
passports to non-citizens.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Jack Hamilton :

wrote:

[...]

Sadly, no. If you are born in the US, you are a citizen. That's one
of the two reasons so many women come across the border from the south
to have their kids, the other being the superior health care.

And I assume that the US, like Canada, occasionally issues
passports to non-citizens.

I'm looking, but can't find it. If you are an immigrant status
(either RA or refugee), you are given another document, formerly known
as the green card and still called that, although long since a dozen
other coloers.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

Approximately 75,000 years ago, the supervolcano Toba
erupted, In 24 hours, it ejected enough material to fill
the area inside the DC Beltway over a kilometer deep.
Good idea, bad timing,
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

wrote:

[...]

If you are a dual citizen, you can abandon US citizenship. It's not
common, but it happens. The US doesn't make it easy - the government
wants to reserve the right to tax or jail everyone it possibly can.
But it is possible to have a US birth certificate and not be a US
citizen.

And I assume that the US, like Canada, occasionally issues
passports to non-citizens.

I'm looking, but can't find it. If you are an immigrant status
(either RA or refugee), you are given another document, formerly known
as the green card and still called that, although long since a dozen
other coloers.

For example, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis:

"Six American diplomats did however avoid capture and
found refuge at the nearby Canadian and Swiss embassies
in Tehran for three months. They fled Iran using Canadian
passports on January 28, 1980."

They had Canadian passports and they were not Canadian citizens. As I
said, I assume that the US does the same thing occasionally.